Not open for further replies.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Prince to Texas though lol.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
If you check the off-season thread, as a joke I said "TIGERS GONNA SWOOP IN AND PICK HIM UP."
And like 2 minutes later GMF posted that we signed him.
I posted it as a joke, and had no idea it was going to happen.
I thought that was pretty cool lol.
That's crazy lol. I couldn't believe it, I seen GMF talking about it, saying the Tigers were close to signing Fielder and as soon as I seen it I thought "he's really screwing with us, getting our hopes up" and next thing I know, I go to twitter and it's blowing up like crazy with Fielder to Detroit, couldn't believe it, was in shock. I was thinking that the source he used was someone who was just making something up that wasn't really there, or true. I'm glad it was true though.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Lmao yep. I really thought GMF or the dude on Twitter was just pulling a fast one. Couldn't really believe it was true.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
I'm just really happy with the addition, we'll worry about who plays where later.. lol. I really think Cabrera will play 3B and surprise a lot of people, but I fully understand of how big of an uncertainty it is.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Well he already confirmed he will play 3rd. Hopefully he fairs well.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2012/01/detroit_tigers_miguel_cabrera.html

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
all this talk about Cabrera at 3rd or in LF if 3rd doesnt work is just hilarious to me

it won't work. I guess you can't blame them for wanting to try it out, but even if they go with it, he will be the worst 3rd baseman in the league.

it just doesnt make sense to use Miggy anywhere but 1st or DH. Same with Prince obviously. and now that they have so much money going into these guys for a long time is troubling

neither was going to be a 1B for much longer anyways. but now for the good part of the future, one of them has to be at 1st at all times

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Asked whether Cabrera would be a defensive liability at third base, outfielder Brennan Boesch suggested Cabrera’s athleticism was wildly undervalued.

“People don’t realize what kind of athleticism Miguel Cabrera still has if he puts his mind to it,” Boesch told MLB Network Radio. “If they say go play third base, the guy still has a ton of arm to do it. He’ll just have to dedicate himself and get back into shape where he can play third on a consistent basis.”

“I’ll tell you right now that (Cabrera) can do it -- especially if that’s the move that we need to make as an organization,” Boesch said. “He’ll be up to the challenge and would welcome it in my opinion.”

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
all this talk about Cabrera at 3rd or in LF if 3rd doesnt work is just hilarious to me

it won't work. I guess you can't blame them for wanting to try it out, but even if they go with it, he will be the worst 3rd baseman in the league.

it just doesnt make sense to use Miggy anywhere but 1st or DH. Same with Prince obviously. and now that they have so much money going into these guys for a long time is troubling

neither was going to be a 1B for much longer anyways. but now for the good part of the future, one of them has to be at 1st at all times
Was he the worst 3rd baseman in the league or something while he was with Florida?

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score

I'm confident they know what they are doing and if they knew it wouldn't work out, they would have never done it, they aren't stupid. We all might know a good amount about the sport, but they know what they're doing. They aren't going to invest 214 million in a guy if they aren't confident it isn't going to work out.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
yeah im sure he'll try it out in ST

but it won't last. he'll get hurt or he'll be so awful they'll just do what they have to do and DH them both on different days

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm confident they know what they are doing and if they knew it wouldn't work out, they would have never done it, they aren't stupid. We all might know a good amount about the sport, but they know what they're doing. They aren't going to invest 214 million in a guy if they aren't confident it isn't going to work out.
it's easy to do it because of the fallback plan being the DH

sure they'll try him at 3rd again, and when it doesnt work they can DH him or Prince
might not be the best thing in the world in a few years to have one of the 2 everyday at 1st, but it'll work offensively for sure. the tigers decided having 2 monster hitters will outweigh the defense, even if their DH is going to be so expensive

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think the whole "expensive DH" argument is dumb. What else are you suppose to do in the AL? If you had to pay what you had to pay to get a bat like Prince, he isn't "overpaid" just because he is DHing.
Will still be in the lineup everyday.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
it's easy to do it because of the fallback plan being the DH

sure they'll try him at 3rd again, and when it doesnt work they can DH him or Prince
might not be the best thing in the world in a few years to have one of the 2 everyday at 1st, but it'll work offensively for sure. the tigers decided having 2 monster hitters will outweigh the defense, even if their DH is going to be so expensive
This year anyways, what happens when Victor Martinez returns? DH won't be possible, unless they trade him. I'd hate to see that, but that's an entire year away to worry about.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Really the only option when Victor does come back is to play Cabby at 3rd. So he basically has to be ready to play the position.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He was below average at first, and now he's moving to a position that is considerably harder to play. I'm with Mexi, this won't work defensively but it might not matter. I'd just keep Prince at DH, because he's even worse then Cabrera defensively at first.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
like i said
this will be fine in 2012

it's beyond that where i question this deal

and 9 years? oh my goodness

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If it is something that is going to happen in 2013, we might as well see if it can work in 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%