Tigers Sign Fielder

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Like I said before, I got to the point with Cabrera where I wasn't worried about his fielding at first. I was comfortable with him there. I thought he was solid. I don't really care what stats say otherwise.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Now, it's all on manager Jim Leyland — as well as Dombrowski — to make various square pegs fit into a roster's assorted round holes.

The bats, no question, are World Series-caliber. But baseball is finicky and treacherous. Pitching still counts most. And pitching is reliant on defense.

And Tuesday's reports that Fielder is Detroit-bound made it incumbent that the Tigers win games with starting pitching and with an offense capable of out-pummeling other teams that will show the Tigers' pitchers and defenders no mercy.

Those who consider this dark-side stuff out of place amid the Fielder merriment are kidding themselves.

Baseball is unforgiving. It takes talent and superstars and reduces them to rubble if a team doesn't play with three-part harmony consisting of pitching, hitting, and, yes, defense.

And there must be equilibrium among those dynamic three elements if a team hopes to win a World Series, or even qualify for October's drama.

Leyland and the Tigers can do it. And this story can be as festive in October as it is on a snowy day in January a week after the Tigers were crushed by news of Victor Martinez's loss.

Third base and Cabrera are the linchpins. If a man who plays a very good first base can transfer to the most difficult position on the infield, and play acceptably there, the Tigers are in clover.

Hmmm

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Locking this up. Thread is going no where.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%