Tigers Sign Fielder

Status
Not open for further replies.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/three-designated-hitters-a-tigers-roster-crunch/

This explains a lot of it really..

Cabrera last played third regularly in 2007. Defensive metrics pegged him as one of the worst third baseman in the league (16th out of 21 qualified third basemen by UZR/150), and the embigenning Cabrera didn’t pass the eye test either. There was little surprise about him moving to first base — prognosticators had been predicting the move throughout his career. It was a natural progression down the defensive spectrum. Players are high school stars in center field and at shortstop, and as they age, fill out and go up against the other former high school stars, they usually move their way down the spectrum towards first base if their bat allows them to continue playing.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Well we will worry about that 5+ years from now. lol

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If you guys had to pick between the 2, which one would you pick
Alberts contract or Prince's?

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'd take 16 out of 21 every day of the week if it meant we will get the offensive numbers we are going to get. I can certainly live with that.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If you guys had to pick between the 2, which one would you pick
Alberts contract or Prince's?
Prince for sure.
Worry about weight later in his career, but he is only 27. Would be like 36 when the contract is up. Which I can live with.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'd take 16 out of 21 every day of the week if it meant we will get the offensive numbers we are going to get. I can certainly live with that.
He's older and bigger then he was back then and hasn't played the position in years. He's going to be worse there. And I agree, I'd live with it, but it's not something I'd want to live with long term.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He's older and bigger then he was back then and hasn't played the position in years. He's going to be worse there. And I agree, I'd live with it, but it's not something I'd want to live with long term.
We won't live with it long term. But I can handle it for a couple of seasons while V-Mart is still around.
Also in his last season in Florida, I don't believe if was much smaller than he is now.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
pablo is sneaky
he looks in horrible shape, but he's an athlete

he's fat, but man the dude is really fast. very quick too. he's not a bad 3B at all
Slimmed down quite a bit lol.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
We'll see in a couple years, Rip. Personally, I'd never pay someone who can only do one thing 9 years 25 mil a year.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
We won't live with it long term. But I can handle it for a couple of seasons while V-Mart is still around.
Also in his last season in Florida, I don't believe if was much smaller than he is now.
Miggy was significantly skinnier in Florida than he is in Detroit. I was watching MLB Network when every analyst on there was saying that his defense would be terrible at 3B and they were showing "highlights" of him at 3rd in his Marlins days and I was shocked at how skinny he was. Never realized he gained so much weight.

Mexi put it perfectly, you guys are in denial about all of the negative aspects about this deal.

I've already stated that their lineup is now really good (won't say elite because they simply don't have a quality lead-off man and their lineup just isn't as deep as some other teams) and that it solidifies them as the AL Central favorites so it's not like you can say I'm hating on this deal left and right.

The defense just isn't going to work. Between Peralta, Miggy, and Prince, you're going to have the worst infield defense in the league by far.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
I truly think the Tigers outbid themselves. I wouldve given Prince 6 years, 7 max. I dont think Fielder was going to sign with the Nationals or Orioles. As for the deal, I think there is going to be a problem defensively when Victor comes back. Prince is a huge impact bat who I think will do very well with the Tigers, but its going to be interesting to see defensively as they start to age and how they perform later on.

Prince Fielder should thank Victor for this contract.

NCSportsfan21

Reaction score
Miggy is top 3 (possibly) hitting 1B. He's is probably bottom 10 as a fielder. He's fat, slow, and has zilch for range. And he can't dig out of the dirt for shit. He sucks, only a homer would think he could field. It's going to be laughable watching his chubby, drunk ass dive at balls that fly by him at 3B. Not to mention the injuries he's going to get from fielding 3B. Unless he drops 30lbs expect a horror show.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Miggy is top 3 (possibly) hitting 1B. He's is probably bottom 10 as a fielder. He's fat, slow, and has zilch for range. And he can't dig out of the dirt for shit. He sucks, only a homer would think he could field. It's going to be laughable watching his chubby, drunk ass dive at balls that fly by him at 3B. Not to mention the injuries he's going to get from fielding 3B. Unless he drops 30lbs expect a horror show.

Too funny.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
miggy has been trying to workout this whole off-season i guess. when he told the team last week he was ready to make the switch we went out and got prince. we waited to see how he was.. now do i think itll be a good fit with him at 3rd? no. but we have to try it.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
As it always is on this website, anything Detroit related will have it's critics.
Usually stupid statements, like saying Peralta is a bad defender, when he had a really good year last year. But he is still so awful!

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
As it always is on this website, anything Detroit related will have it's critics.
Usually stupid statements, like saying Peralta is a bad defender, when he had a really good year last year. But he is still so awful!
One good year does not make one a good defender.

He's a historically bad defender.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Didn't you just recently say you didn't want the Giants to win the super bowl because there are so many Giants fans on here? And now you're trying to say that any Detroit related stuff will get shit on. You have to wonder why..

People are just pointing out the obvious here though.. Cabrera sucks on defense.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think you made your point that you think the Tigers defense is going to suck. I think it was said at least 15 times in this thread alone.

Also whomever said our lineup isn't elite, that was a joke I hope. Not a deep lineup? Hah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%