Lions Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooche

Reaction score
It's really not that bad.. He had a pretty solid season last year. Playing along Calvin will help each of them out a lot. I can see him putting up similar stats to what he had last year, hopefully a bit better though.

And come on, he is like 3x better than Bryant Johnson.
It is that bad, though. The signing and getting him is definitely not a bad move, by any means. Like I said, the guy is 29 and you sign him a to 5 year deal? Again. Health will be the issue. I hope it works out for you guys in Detroit, but yikes.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
But only 11 million is guaranteed. He does bad, it was a low risk investment really.

WhenIRap

valanciunas
Reaction score
What's with all my Jets players getting signed by Detroit?

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
With their top three cornerbacks from last season all gone from the roster - and not a lot of options available in free agency - the Detroit Lions are on the verge of swinging a significant trade with the Atlanta Falcons.
According to ESPN, the Lions will send their sixth-round pick -- and swap positions in the fifth round - to the Falcons for three-year veteran cornerback Chris Houston. The deal is expected to become official on Monday when it's approved by the league office -- and Houston passes a physical.
A former second-round draft pick, Houston has started 37 games for the Falcons, but apparently became expendable when the Falcons recently signed cornerback Dunta Robinson to a big free agent contract.
The Lions are now expected to fill their other starting cornerback position in the draft, probably in the second (and/or third) round.
Not too shabby I guess.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Also...

Free-agent cornerback Jonathan Wade will visit Detroit on Monday.
Wade, a former third-round pick in 2007 for the St. Louis Rams, was not offered a free-agent tender by the team. He started six games in three years for the Rams, starting the first four games last season before losing his starting job. He's played in all but one game for the Rams the past three seasons.
The Lions cut cornerback Phillip Buchanon on Friday and cornerbacks Will James and Anthony Henry are free agents. Wade could add some much needed depth at the position.

Wade had two interceptions and 67 tackles in three years with the Rams.
We need the depth.

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Man the Lions said they were gonna have a self imposed cap. Looks like that aint gonna happen lol. Hey atleast they are working on every position they need to.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Now we need that running back..

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Few important pieces:

ALLEN PARK - The Detroit Lions signed free agent cornerback Jonathan Wade to a one-year contract today and he'll add depth to the secondary and could compete for playing time.
Wade spent his first three years with the Rams and started the first four games last season but then got benched.
"You can only do your best,'' Wade said. "I don't think my play dropped off. It was a situation with a new coaching staff. I was starting and then I wasn't playing. That's why I'm looking forward to this new opportunity.''
Wade will be a strong addition on special teams and should compete for the starting nickel back position very early in camp.
The Detroit Lions didn't take a shot at free agent cornerback Dunta Robinson and they bailed out on the trade talks concerning Antonio Cromartie.

The Lions, though, appear to be interested in acquiring the players those two have replaced.
When the Atlanta Falcons signed Robinson, that made Chris Houston expendable and the Lions have reportedly acquired Houston in a deal that sends a sixth-round draft pick to Atlanta. As part of the trade, the teams will also swap picks in the fifth round.
Now there's word that the Lions would like to interview veteran cornerback Lito Sheppard, who became expendable when the Jets traded for Cromartie.
Sheppard, who will soon be 29, is an eight-year veteran who lost his starting job last season.
The Lions, though, are in a position where they need to get as much help as possible. The Lions would like to add a cornerback or two in the draft, but they want to be prepared in case the draft doesn't fall like they hope and some of their targets aren't available.
The Detroit Lions roster continues to go through a wave of changes as the team announced the signing of tight end Will Heller -- to a three-year contract -- and free agent receiver Brian Clark. The team also has released veteran defensive end Dewayne White, who had a $1 million roster bonus due shortly.

Heller was solid for the Lions last year and he'll be the starter until Brandon Pettigrew returns from a knee injury. Pettigrew is expected to start training camp on the Physically Unable to Perform list and the Lions will bring him along slowly.

Last year, Heller had nine starts and caught 29 passes for 296 yards and three touchdowns.

The Lions have released their second veteran defensive linemen -- first, Jared DeVries was cut loose and now White has been cut. DeVries and White were two of Detroit's more effective players in recent years.

White, who will be 31 this season, started a total of 30 games during his three-year stay in Detroit, but struggled last season. Injuries limited to just 10 games (and five starts) and he didn't have a sack. He had 6 1/2 sacks in each of his previous two season in Detroit.

Clark, 26, is a five-year veteran who has stayed in the league with his special teams work. Clark only has 11 career catches, including six last season for 65 yards.

I think the pick up of Wade is a solid one, we need CB depth terribly, so he is good insurance. Plus both him and Houston rock the dreads I believe. CB's with dreads are always sweet :p

Lito Sheppard would be a great addition. Lito and Houston instantly would make our CB's better than last years. I hope we do end up bringing him in here. Then we are going to draft one, and we would actually have a solid CB rotation IMO.

As for releasing White, long overdue. The dude was a dud. Hopefully this means it's more likely to draft Suh now..

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
DETROIT (AP) — The Detroit Lions have traded two late-round draft picks to acquire cornerback Chris Houston from the Atlanta Falcons.

Houston, a second-round pick for Atlanta in 2007, became expendable after the Falcons signed Dunta Robinson as an unrestricted free agent.

The Falcons will receive an additional sixth-round pick from Detroit and move up from the 18th spot to second in the fifth round.

Houston has three interceptions and one forced fumble in 44 career games, 37 starts.

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Lions making moves man. And yeah since white and devries have been cut. We are gonna either get suh or mccoy for sure. I liked devries though sad to see him let go.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I heard we might re-sign DeVries eventually, when he shows he's at 100%.
I liked him too though lol.

Apparently we aren't interested in Lito Sheppard though :/

Either way we still need another CB, a LG, and a RB.

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think Lito would be a good pick up. Players have down years in their careers. Yeah its a big decision to do but I would pick him up to mentor the cb they get in the draft because we know they are going to get a CB in the draft. But yeah LETS GO LIONS.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I head we worked out Pacman Jones, and Schwartz was pretty impressed.

Bringing him in for CB depth and a return man would be great.

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah it might help us. I would like to see him succeed in the NFL but with his off the field troubles I dont see him lasting long if he signs with the Lions but you never he could turn his life around and he could become a solid corner again.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I really don't think he is THAT stupid to <Censored> around off field again lol.

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I really don't think he is THAT stupid to <Censored> around off field again lol.
Well look he got another chance with the cowboys and ###### up their when he got a fight with a security guard or some <Censored> lol.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He can come here, I'm pretty sure Detroit doesnt have any vip rooms in strip clubs anymore. lol

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He can come here, I'm pretty sure Detroit doesnt have any vip rooms in strip clubs anymore. lol
lol. Well yeah I would like him here to. I just see him being a trouble but if he can overcome that it would be a great addition because right now he would be the number one corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%