Lions Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Article:
http://www.freep.com/article/20100304/SPOR...n-Nate-Burleson

Wow the Lions are actually making moves already. Two hours into free agency and they have already improved their Wide Receiving Core. I think this could turn out well and help out Stafford and Johnson. Now all the pressure wont be on Calvin. So all Detroit Lions fans lets all hope that Nate helps us and that we get more players of his caliber or better. Next person possibly signed by Lions Vandenbosch? Lets hope.

Mooche

Reaction score
Good God Detroit. 5 year, 25 million dollars (11 mil guaranteed) for a player who hasn't even played a full year. Just insanity.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Tell me about it, I mean it kind of shows we're looking to improve but that crazy.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The contract is too much, but it's still a good signing for Detroit. He's a solid wideout.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Good signing if you don't look at the contract.

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
Good God Detroit. 5 year, 25 million dollars (11 mil guaranteed) for a player who hasn't even played a full year. Just insanity.
He came close to a full yeah back in 04 at Minnesota.

He had 63-receptions last season; however, I'm worried about his age and progression if I'm Detroit.

Oh well, they may get a gem.

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
Ignore the Burleson talk.

JOHN NIYO
The Detroit News

Allen Park -- Jim Schwartz didn't leave anything to chance.

And not that there was much mystery about the Lions' intentions heading into free agency, but Schwartz's late-night house call to free agent defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch in Nashville certainly left an impression.

"It was a strange deal, because I was talking back and forth with my agent all day trying to figure out what to expect and just kept waiting, waiting, waiting," Vanden Bosch told Nashville radio station 104-5 FM The Zone. "Then 11 o'clock (Central time) came and my phone rang and it was Coach Schwartz. He said, 'I'm down at your gate. I want to talk to you.'

"He came and we talked. And Coach Schwartz and my wife and I were up 'till about 2:30 just talking. Talking the city of Detroit, talking the team, the scheme, the plan, the personnel, where I fit in, where we're heading. And I got excited. He's a great coach and last night he was a great salesman."

And both the salesman and the customer boarded a plane Friday bound for Detroit, where Vanden Bosch, a three-time Pro Bowler, will sign a four-year, $26 million contract, including a $10 million in 2010, a league source confirmed.

The Lions also agreed to terms early Friday on a five-year, $25 million contract -- that deal includes $11 million in guaranteed money -- with free-agent receiver Nate Burleson. And the team officially announced a trade for Cleveland Browns defensive tackle Corey Williams early Friday afternoon.

Vanden Bosch, though, was the team's primary target at the start of free agency. Schwartz knows the 10-year NFL veteran well from his time as a defensive coordinator in Tennessee, coaching him for four seasons. Vanden Bosch, 31, had a career-best 12 sacks in 2007, but has seen his production slip with only 7.5 sacks the past two seasons combined. Still, he's widely known as a high-energy player, a tireless worker and a strong leader that one former coach on Friday described as "animalistic about winning."

And Schwartz made it clear in his late-night sales pitch Friday that he still sees Vanden Bosch as an impact player.

"The thing that I love most about what Coach Schwartz said is, 'We are bringing you in to be a big-time player,'" Vanden Bosch said. "We're not bringing you in to be just a figurehead, to be a guy who is an assistant coach and teaches the younger guys the ropes. All those things, I'll do everything I can for that organization. But he said, 'I watched the tape last year.' And he said, 'You're the same player you were two years ago.' ... And he just said, 'I'm excited about adding you to our defensive line. We've got some things we're gonna address this offseason.'

"They're gonna make some moves. But he said the first step is having a really good defensive line, and I'm glad that he considered me a part of that. And I'm glad that he showed that much confidence and faith in me that he was on my doorstep at the start of free agency."

Last week at the NFL scouting combine, Schwartz tap-danced around the Lions' anticipated pursuit of Vanden Bosch when asked about his former player. But speaking generally, he did admit there's a comfort level to be found in bringing in a former player via free agency.

"You know the way they practice," Schwartz said. "You know the way they prepare. You know a little bit about them personally. So I think that adds to it. It makes you feel a little stronger about your evaluation."

Burleson agreed to terms with the Lions on a five-year, $25 million deal, including $11 million guaranteed, a league source confirmed.

Burleson had 63 catches for 812 yards and three touchdowns for the Seattle Seahawks last season, his highest output since a career-best season in 2004 for the Minnesota Vikings. His offensive coordinator then -- Scott Linehan -- will be his new coordinator in Detroit.

And it was Linehan who talked openly at the end of last season about the need for the Lions to find an "eraser" to help take away the double- and triple-team coverage on No. 1 receiver Calvin Johnson.

"That has to be neutralized by somebody, whether it's the run game or it's another receiver or it's a slot guy," Linehan said. "Something has to give there. Because you can't keep trying to get a guy the football that's being triple-covered. I think the players know that's gonna be a big part of our goals in the offseason."

Burleson may not fill that role exactly, but he had 50-plus catches in Seattle in his last two full seasons, sandwiched around a 2008 season lost to a knee injury.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It's really not that bad.. He had a pretty solid season last year. Playing along Calvin will help each of them out a lot. I can see him putting up similar stats to what he had last year, hopefully a bit better though.

And come on, he is like 3x better than Bryant Johnson.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
And we now have a respectable d-line lol. Good pick up for sure :)

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it respectable just yet.

But with the addition of Suh/McCoy it would be legit.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it respectable just yet.

But with the addition of Suh/McCoy it would be legit.
Oops, forgot to say that lol..
Yeah Suh or McCoy would likely complete it lol.

I'm hearing we are trading out of #2 though and trying to get Okung.

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
Why the <Censored> would anyone do that?

I've said it 1,000 times, O-linemen aren't worth that high of a pick.

Build your line through FA and coaching, not first round picks.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Why the <Censored> would anyone do that?

I've said it 1,000 times, O-linemen aren't worth that high of a pick.

Build your line through FA and coaching, not first round picks.
I agree.

But I mean if we trade down a few spots and pick up a 2nd or 3rd in the process or something, I wouldn't object completely.

But ultimately I really want Suh.

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
Don't we all?

I think Suh will be much better than McCoy in the long run.

McCoy is Glenn Dorsey v2.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Hoping the Rams take Bradford and the Lions take that olineman. I really want Eric Berry to fall to us, but it looks unlikely.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If we don't trade out of #2, and the Rams take Bradford, Suh is almost a lock.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Suh makes sense, but it's starting to look less likely.

Hopefully going back to the 4-3 will turn him into the player he was back with the Packers. He will help a lot if so. Plus we got him at a very cheap price, so it's a good addition.

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
Rip please, for the love of God, make a Lions topic and merge all this <Censored> into it.

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I dont know I can still see the Lions picking up Suh because Vandenbosch is getting old and suh is a once in a lifetime player so you never know. But man my LIONSNFLCHAMPS2011 may come true lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%