2014 Prospect Talk Thread

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
TiTAN said:
Given how Alshon turned out, if the NFL had known, he would be a sure fire top 5 pick IMO. He definitely has more potential than Evans in my IMO, but Watkins really is his own beast.
Alshon has always had the talent. Going into 2011, he was considered a by far best WR in the upcoming draft, over Blackmon. And then he had one of the worst junior years out there; he was so lazy and gave almost no effort (maybe it's a SouthCar problem) and his stock plummeted

He's trying in the NFL, and he's proving why he was the 2011 Preseason #1 WR in the ACC. With Marshall on the other side, he gets a great matchup. Most teams don't have 6'4" corners, let alone two of them. In a jump ball situation, he will almost always win, since the stronger and taller DB is usually on Marshall

TTN2810

Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
Alshon has always had the talent. Going into 2011, he was considered a by far best WR in the upcoming draft, over Blackmon. And then he had one of the worst junior years out there; he was so lazy and gave almost no effort (maybe it's a SouthCar problem) and his stock plummeted

He's trying in the NFL, and he's proving why he was the 2011 Preseason #1 WR in the ACC. With Marshall on the other side, he gets a great matchup. Most teams don't have 6'4" corners, let alone two of them. In a jump ball situation, he will almost always win, since the stronger and taller DB is usually on Marshall
I understand why he's so good lol. We just didn't know if he would be able to keep his weight under control, if he would work hard, or if he even cared. Hence why he was a second round pick.

But what I was saying is, if you think Kelvin is Alshon, then he's a top 10 pick.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
BwareDWare94 said:
Am I crazy if I think ditching Stafford would be a great long term move for Detroit?

Yeah, I really think the Lions should release him. I mean there's a few teams out there looking for a QB. Come on Lions, listen to BwareDWare

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
This WR class is so damn deep.

TTN2810

Reaction score
I have no clue why Carr has any hype at all. He has some of the worst footwork I've ever seen. Soooo messy. It's like a horse on ice.

There's a multitude of guys I'd take before him.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I've been saying that for months lol

At least his hype has died down a little. When he was getting top 5 buzz I thought that whoever uses a pick that high on him was just trying to get a bust.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Literally didn't throw passes down field. When he did, the results were poor. Has a horrible system adjusted rating.

TTN2810

Reaction score
And my fucking god. Whoever gets Mettenberger is getting a steal. They'll be able to get him even later due to the ACL. He may be the best QB in the draft.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Greg Peshek wrote a good piece on rotoworld about the top projected QBs: http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/45952/349/2014s-quarterback-conundrum

Basically showed that most of the time he stayed around the line of scrimmage and when he didn't he wasn't accurate, like you said. But even when he stayed around the line (1-5 YDS) he was the least accurate of the 4. He was the worst against pressure by a pretty wide margin, showing the shitty pocket presence.

He's just not worth a high draft pick. He might get better with some great coaching but he also might be a finished product.

TTN2810

Reaction score
He has fine pocket presence IMO. He's good a stepping up and avoiding the rush, that's a positive for me. But his footwork is just a mess, hence his inaccuracy. I guess if they can fix his footwork he can improve short to mid accuracy, but he doesn't have good touch at all for me. He reminds me of Ryan Tannehill with less upside.

All I know is I have a VERY different looking QB prospect ranking than anything I've seen in the media or the internet.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It'd be cool if you posted it once you get a good list going. I'm always down to look at some rankings, I'd do some but I haven't watched enough QB tape, or any tape for that matter lol

TTN2810

Reaction score
Same for you my man. I love draft talk.
I really need to watch more though too.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
TiTAN said:
I have no clue why Carr has any hype at all. He has some of the worst footwork I've ever seen. Soooo messy. It's like a horse on ice.

There's a multitude of guys I'd take before him.

How quickly you forget Tyler Bray.

TTN2810

Reaction score
Yeah he was bad too, I think Carr might be worse though haha

TTN2810

Reaction score
I'm baffled how Carr and Bortles are rated higher than Boyd. I'd take Boyd in a heartbeat over those two. I'm still of the opinion Boyd is a 1st rounder. Not top 10, but I would definitely feel comfortable trading back into the 1st for him,16-25 range. I think if you play to his talents you're getting a hell of a steal. I'm not really sure where to expect to see him drafted now. If he does go anywhere between round 3-4 like some people are saying, could be the steal of the draft.

But holy shit. It is ridiculous trying to evaluate this guy. 80% of their passes are screen or go's. The rest is hooks or seam routes. No real NFL routes which could definitely hurt him. He'll have to show he can throw that at the Senior Bowl. I think the arm talent is there though.

Also Sammy Watkins is the most elusive player I have ever seen.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Boyd will probably go to Cleveland in Rd1 if they choose Watkins @4

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score

And this is coming from a Boyd fan

TTN2810

Reaction score
Fales would be a sure fire 1st rounder if he wasn't so dang inconsistent. He'll make an amazing NFL throw that screams franchise QB, then misses a wide open receiver. So frustrating.

TTN2810

Reaction score
I don't know man. Everyone is still high on Bortles and Carr, even with small school's (granted they aren't as small though). I think what really is the difference is that Carr (I'm only going to speak for Carr here, because I have not studied Bortles very much) has a higher ceiling. Now even though Fales has a lower ceiling, in my opinion he's more likely to hit that ceiling than Carr. 

I'm struggling to find a comparison for Fales. I see a mix of Matt Ryan and Alex Smith. I would be perfectly fine if that is his ceiling. But you are going to have to build around him. Both of those guys are fully capable, in my opinion, of winning a Super Bowl, but they aren't going to take you there on their back, nor will they win it by themselves. There are few guys who can do that, and I think Carr has the potential to be that guy. No matter how unlikely that is, I think it's that ability pushing them both ahead of Fales right now.

Now, as I said above, I haven't watch much of Bortles at all. I caught maybe 2/3 of his bowl game, and have seen some highlights. But honestly, I have no fucking clue how this guy has any hype. Based on my limited watching, the best comparison I have for him is Tebow. I'm really stumped on him. I will keep an open mind when I do get to watching his games, and hopefully he can change my mind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%