Trade Deadline Deals?

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
FTC said:
well Upton went to the Blue Jays, he should do well there.

im still twiddling my thumbs waiting for the Twins to make one move... cant wait for a new GM to get here
The Twins don't really have a lot to move. The Twins and the Cubs are basically polar opposites when it comes to planning for big name prospects. It could make you a contender, or it could blow up disastrously and set your franchise back 4 years. 

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Seeing that Hellickson tweet makes me hate the qualifying offer system so much more. Needs to be fixed in the next cba.

A guy like Hellickson is not worth giving up a first rounder for but he also shouldnt get fucked over in free agency because no one wants to give up the pick.

BrewCrewFan

Reaction score
https://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/758392778632069120

https://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/758392876455825408

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Peter Gammons says the Red Sox have told teams they are not willing to discuss Moncada, Benintendi, Devers and Kopech. Surprised to see Kopech on that list, but makes me happy they aren't trading Moncada or Benintendi. 

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Going to be really annoyed if the Indians mortgage the farm system for Lucroy. 

Senators26

Reaction score
JZsportswhiz said:
I think the White Sox are making a big mistake not selling high on some of their guys. They could really rebuild their system fast. 
Their window is still open. They'd be best to keep going with what they have and try again next year, or add a piece this year and hope to go on a run.

Tigers are the mystery team for Lucroy

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Tigers don't have nearly enough to strike a deal for Lucroy, unless the asking price has gone way down. 

BrewCrewFan

Reaction score
elcheato said:
Going to be really annoyed if the Indians mortgage the farm system for Lucroy. 
It will most likely be a Lucroy/Smith deal

Feels two needs on your team

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Don't care, it's not worth the price it is going to cost. The Indians entire core is under team control for the next few seasons, this is not their only shot to make the playoffs and compete for a title. No reason to overpay for a 30 year old catcher who will only be on the team for a year and a half. I'd much rather they wait until the off-season and see if a young, cost-controlled star becomes available, and then overpay there if they want to. 

If they can get a deal done that does not involve Frazier or Zimmer, then I'd more open, but I still would need to see how many guys they're giving up. Would not include Francisco Mejia, either. 

I have no doubt that Lucroy would make the Indians a lot better, but it certainly does not guarantee a world series title, and I still don't see the Indians as a team who can afford to leverage their future. 

The moves I want to see the Indians make would just be for someone like Steve Pearce and a reliever who won't cost them a top 100 prospect.

FutureTwin

Reaction score
JZsportswhiz said:
The Twins don't really have a lot to move. The Twins and the Cubs are basically polar opposites when it comes to planning for big name prospects. It could make you a contender, or it could blow up disastrously and set your franchise back 4 years. 
idk we have pieces to move, Kurt Suzuki, Eduardo Nunez, Abad, Kintzler, no one that you should expect to make major contributions to next season that can help a team now... and with the pitching market i could actually see Nolasco (if the twins pay enough salary) going to a team like miami

BrewCrewFan

Reaction score
elcheato said:
Don't care, it's not worth the price it is going to cost. The Indians entire core is under team control for the next few seasons, this is not their only shot to make the playoffs and compete for a title. No reason to overpay for a 30 year old catcher who will only be on the team for a year and a half. I'd much rather they wait until the off-season and see if a young, cost-controlled star becomes available, and then overpay there if they want to. 

If they can get a deal done that does not involve Frazier or Zimmer, then I'd more open, but I still would need to see hoigw many guys they're giving up. Would not include Francisco Mejia, either. 

I have no doubt that Lucroy would make the Indians a lot better, but it certainly does not guarantee a world series title, and I still don't see the Indians as a team who can afford to leverage their future. 
The moves I want to see the Indians make would just be for someone like Steve Pearce and a reliever who won't cost them a top 100 prospect.

Lucroy and Smith would make the Indians serious world series contenders and possible favorites to make it to the world series.You would have both next year and Smith for the next three years. It's worth taking the risk when you have Perez and Giminez as your starting catcher. 

I highly doubt it would take Frazier or Zimmer either. Something around Meija, McKensie, and Aiken would probably get the job done. 

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
elcheato said:

If they can get a deal done that does not involve Frazier or Zimmer, then I'd more open, but I still would need to see how many guys they're giving up. Would not include Francisco Mejia, either. 

Remember 3 years ago when the Nationals said that?

Now they are finally back to their potential. I get the Indians have a great young core, but the AL isn't particularly deep, each contending team has glaring holes. The Indians have a great chance at winning the pennant, you do everything you can when you can

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
And remember last year when the Blue Jays had that mindset to go for it? There are examples of it working both ways, but I tend to fall in line with being more conservative on prospects, at least when it comes to the Indians, because they can't afford to re-sign big names they trade for. The Red Sox are a team that can make these trades because they can just fill holes through free agency, and over-spend internationally to retool their dark system, the Indians can't.

It's all a crap shoot once the playoffs start, so I think the Indians need to focus on making the playoffs as much as possible, and I think they have a much better shot of extending that window if they hold onto most of their prospects, instead of blowing their load for one chance.

I'd be willing to trade a guy like Clevinger, who is close to major league ready but blocked by our rotation, but I don't like the idea of moving other top guys, especially the impact bats that we have always struggled to develop.

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
elcheato said:
And remember last year when the Blue Jays had that mindset to go for it? There are examples of it working both ways, but I tend to fall in line with being more conservative on prospects, at least when it comes to the Indians, because they can't afford to re-sign big names they trade for. It's all a crap shoot once the playoffs start, so I think the Indians need to focus on making the playoffs as much as possible, and I think they have a much better shot of extending that window if they hold onto most of their prospects, instead of blowing their load for one chance.

I'd be willing to trade a guy like Clevinger, who is close to major league ready but blocked by our rotation, but I don't like the idea of moving other top guys, especially the impact bats that we have always struggled to develop.
Yeah that's fair. I'm conservative with prospects as well. But the 1st 20 years of my life the Cubs top prospects were the likes of Corey Patterson, Brett Jackson, Josh Vitters, etc. Bust after bust after bust. Since Theo and Co took over the tide has shifted drastically. Sometimes you'll give up your top prospects and fall short, but being in a small market that's sort of a risk you have to take. It could pay off (Royals 2015), it may end badly (A's 2014).

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
You don't trade top prospects for a 30 y/o catcher that will be a 1B in a year or two

Cleveland did the better move 7 years ago by trading away VMart for prospects (didn't pan out but they could have), and they shouldn't trade anybody of super significant value for Lucroy.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think I'd be more willing to make a "go for it move" if the Indians weren't set up for a long time, but most of their roster is young and under control, and they have a very deep farm system, so if all goes well, they should be able to sustain this success for a long time. For a small market team like the Indians, that's super important in terms of keeping attendance numbers up. Sustained excellence will get people coming back. Flaming out will drive fans away again.

But I would also totally understand if they did pull the trigger on a Lucroy deal, and while I mentioned I'd be annoyed, I wouldn't be fuming or anything.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
You don't trade top prospects for a 30 y/o catcher that will be a 1B in a year or two

Cleveland did the better move 7 years ago by trading away VMart for prospects (didn't pan out but they could have), and they shouldn't trade anybody of super significant value for Lucroy.
and with his injury problems, it's almost a guarantee that Brantley will shift over to 1B next season, or at the very least soon after, which is fine since its doubtful Napoli returns.

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
Royals supposedly asked for Kyle Schwarber and more when the Cubs inquired on Wade Davis

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%