Sportz Insomnia version 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Attention loyal and devoted Sportz Insomnia members:

Due to the evolution of the members in the last year, some of the diehard members have tailed off or even disappeared.
We are now in a new era of up and coming members who are just as devoted and wish to see SI take off to new heights.

We now have admins with extremely good contacts in all aspects of Forum building and Upkeep. With them on board, and with the influx of old and new ideas of our members, we were hoping to do a Sportz Insomnia Version 2.0 soon.

First off, we see that some of the activity has declined due several different problems of our members. With Football season coming to an end for most Secondary School members, their time is bound to see an increase -- that is, of course, unless they now switch to Basketball. Also, the Thanksgiving holiday will allow alot of our U.S. members more frequency this coming week.

We want to re-launch the site with a positive direction for activity and community. Some of the things that members found enticing before are not so much anymore. The Sim Leagues have now become more of a centerpiece, with Gaming taking a step back. This is not to say that we will discontinue any section on the board. But, we would love feedback from all on how to organize and/or fix some of the board's problems.

We are looking for positive criticism from those members who wish to advance SI into a new era. The admins will be looking for a whole new staff at that time, too. Some will remain on, but we will be looking to add new, fresh blood of those who are desiring a challenge and willing to make a commitment to the board.

So, please, use this thread to post some suggestions and solutions to the board. You also may post on ways you think you could help.
All of these ideas will be compiled together to help SI v2.0. Please, do not use this thread as a complaint area -- try to provide positive criticicism with solutions that you've seen that work on other forums, or some idea you just think might work.

Once again, we'd like to thank you all for your time and effort into Sportz Insomnia's 21 months of existence (not counting pre-SI days) and hope to build an even better SI in the near future with your help.

The Admin Staff

ps-any negative complaints/gripes deemed inappropriate will be deleted ad the admin's discretion

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
What I believe makes sense for SI 2.0:

- Gaming Forums should definitely take a step back. It's weird that there's a bigger section of gaming Forums than even General Sports discussion.

- Not sure we are ready for individual team discussion forums yet...but we definitely need more discussion going on in these NFL, MLB, NCAA, etc forums.

- Weed out the GFX-only members. Restrict access to all GFX forums to members with certain post counts. This would keep "visitors" from browsing GFX forums and then bolting.

- Merge "Out of Bounds" Forum into the Lounge.

- We need the Debate Center to pick up. How about a large Debate Tournament?

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Any idea when the re-launch will take place? I'm liking the idea.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score

- Gaming Forums should definitely take a step back. It's weird that there's a bigger section of gaming Forums than even General Sports discussion.

- Not sure we are ready for individual team discussion forums yet...but we definitely need more discussion going on in these NFL, MLB, NCAA, etc forums.

- Weed out the GFX-only members. Restrict access to all GFX forums to members with certain post counts. This would keep "visitors" from browsing GFX forums and then bolting.

1. I agree. This may have been what the board started as but it clearly has taken a more minor role(with maybe the exception of CAPs). Plus this is no longer NBA-Live Insomnia(or whatever it was called before, I wasn't there) so I do think there should be more with the General Sports discussion.

2. Definitely not ready for the individual team forums but it's unfortunate that some of the other sports aren't followed as much as NFL, MLB, NBA, and NCAA. It's tough to have discussion going on with the other sports because you can't really force someone to like the sport. I know first hand as it was tough being the Soccer Mod when no one really cared that much.

3. This is another good idea, sorta like what you guys did with the CAPs.

4. Self-explanatory

5. I thought we tried a Debate Tournament? Nonetheless, could bring activity back. Maybe have tournaments for each sport that way you aren't forced to debate a sport you really don't know well.

Okay, I think Mysterio hit a lot of good points on the head here. Which is why I wanted to comment on them and, I guess, reinforce them. Here are somethings I see...

- Weekly Newsletters/Member Updates: We have two good writers now, hopefully we can get more, and I think it would be a good idea to try and bring this back. For some of the members who don't get on often during the week can catch up on what has been going on.

- Board Awards/HOF: I don't know if you guys have talked but I do want to mention it because it's always a good time when those are happening.

- Bring back the SOTW...and maybe another GFX Tournament in the future.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
1. I agree. This may have been what the board started as but it clearly has taken a more minor role(with maybe the exception of CAPs). Plus this is no longer NBA-Live Insomnia(or whatever it was called before, I wasn't there) so I do think there should be more with the General Sports discussion.

2. Definitely not ready for the individual team forums but it's unfortunate that some of the other sports aren't followed as much as NFL, MLB, NBA, and NCAA. It's tough to have discussion going on with the other sports because you can't really force someone to like the sport. I know first hand as it was tough being the Soccer Mod when no one really cared that much.

4. Self-explanatory

5. I thought we tried a Debate Tournament? Nonetheless, could bring activity back. Maybe have tournaments for each sport that way you aren't forced to debate a sport you really don't know well.

Okay, I think Mysterio hit a lot of good points on the head here. Which is why I wanted to comment on them and, I guess, reinforce them. Here are somethings I see...

- Weekly Newsletters/Member Updates: We have two good writers now, hopefully we can get more, and I think it would be a good idea to try and bring this back. For some of the members who don't get on often during the week can catch up on what has been going on.

- Board Awards/HOF: I don't know if you guys have talked but I do want to mention it because it's always a good time when those are happening.

Basically sums it all up Baggs. The weekly newsletters/member updates were very popular and I think if those returned activity would increase. Board Awards/HOF is always a time where everyone who is active on the site becomes very active that day. It was a success last year and it made everyone post more. I thinks its been more than 6 months since the last one and I think we should have one some time soon. And of course, the SOTW is a good idea, but Im also thinking we should have a COTW.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah, we tried a debate tourny recently, there was like 2 people who signed up so we just killed the idea I guess.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score

This sounds pretyy good to me.
I agree.

4. Self-explanatory

Baggs and Mysterio I think pretty much summed it up.

Good luck with getting V2.0 I like this whole Idea.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Possibly monthly awards?
- GFX Artist of the month
- Poster of the month
- Debater of the month
- etc.

Create some sig bars to hand out to the winners, they can show them off as trophies.

Just an incentive idea.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Good idea. Then have yearly awards. Or even half year awards. That could help the board be more active.

GameOver

ONE HANDED SUPERMAN BACK FLIP FTW
Reaction score
i think we need a video game arcade lol .
and if you win any thing of the month give them rewards like be a mod for a week or a sig by the gfx maker of thare choice. some thing like that.
make a hompepage when you frist hit the si llink and have it filled with the Latest sports News

get the debate fourm active have a season like ncaa with a top 25 and all .

also if you find a site thats not that active but still has a few good member that post alot offer them to join here

maybe a madden player league i'll give you the info about it later if you want
online cash so we can buy sigs etc

also to go along with mysterios idea rookie poster of the month most helpfull member of the month Article/Article maker of the month
maybe if you have a video cam and can make them sports mixtape of the month i dont know thats just a random idea
if you find a way to code it live sports game streams or live text coverage of sports games

i'll add if i think of any more

cant wait till the site opens j rod i'll make sure i join it but your right alot of member dont post any more .

Josh10_10

The Realist Baller
Reaction score
i think we need a video game arcade lol .
and if you win any thing of the month give them rewards like be a mod for a week or a sig by the gfx maker of thare choice. some thing like that.
make a hompepage when you frist hit the si llink and have it filled with the Latest sports News

get the debate fourm active have a season like ncaa with a top 25 and all .

also if you find a site thats not that active but still has a few good member that post alot offer them to join here

maybe a madden player league i'll give you the info about it later if you want
online cash so we can buy sigs etc

also to go along with mysterios idea rookie poster of the month most helpfull member of the month Article/Article maker of the month
maybe if you have a video cam and can make them sports mixtape of the month i dont know thats just a random idea
if you find a way to code it live sports game streams or live text coverage of sports games

i'll add if i think of any more
cant wait till the site opens j rod i'll make sure i join it but your right alot of member dont post any more .
Game Arcade -- If you want to play games, go to addictinggames.com or another site. Besides that, an arcade isn't gonna help any activity in the forums.

Mod for a Week definately won't work and won't be approved. I don't really think a signature reward is necessary either. The pride of winning an award is enough.

The online points thing works for some sites, but personally I never really liked it, so I would say no, but that's more of a debate for the guys up top.

The rest of them are good or decent ideas, but most seem a little out there.

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
it's a re-launch - not a new site.... just to clear things up.. date TBD

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Will the board be offline for a period of time again?

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Will the board be offline for a period of time again?
probably not - with the admins we have, we should be able to do the work continuously

as for affiliates -- we have plenty right now, and some I don't want to affiliate with

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think we already got our wings and are currently flying.... We still are one of the most active sports forums on the net.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Of those boards that are similar to this, how many of them have been around for nearly 2 years? Most of them die within the first year or so. Look at our longevity.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Just my two cents.

I personally think that this is one of the best sports forums I've been to.
I like all the mebers it's like a family here.
We all get along and fight but in the end we all are loyal to SI.

I can't wait for V2.0!

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think we need to go on a recruiting drive cuz there arent very many active members here...

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Just to let whoever knows - I deleted NON-positive criticism threads....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%