Not open for further replies.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
Just filed w/@Chris_Broussard: Sources close to talks tell ESPN there is renewed momentum to seal @CP3 trade to Clippers as soon as Tueday
lol

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Clippers were playing hardball, and successfully made the league look like shit for walking away. Stern is crawling back, a deal will get done.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Clippers were playing hardball, and successfully made the league look like shit for walking away. Stern is crawling back, a deal will get done.
and for the clippers sake they get to keep the pick or eg.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I've had a massive change of opinion about this trade. How does Donald Sterling, a notoriously cheap owner, pay for Chris Paul, Eric Gordon, Blake Griffin, and DeAndre Jordan? Or for Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, DeAndre Jordan, and a projected very high lottery pick this year? The answer is, he doesn't, and probably couldn't. Especially after overpaying for Jordan at the tune of nearly 11M annually.

Gordon and Minny's 1st should be the highlight of this trade. Gordon is a GREAT player, but he isn't a superstar, and may never be one, or maybe he will I don't know. Everything else is basically just fillers imo. Neither Bledsoe or Aminu are anything special, two players with ginormous holes in their games. By not including Gordon and the 1st, the Clippers are just trying to lowball us for the best PG in the game.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
why should the Clippers give up Gordon?

IMO

Jordan-Blake-SF?-Gordon-Billups> Jordan-Blake-SF?-SG?-CP3

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score

IMO

Well for starters they signed Caron Butler.

Who knows how long Billups will be around.

And like I mentioned, you won't be able to pay all of those guys.

and CP >>>>>>>>>>> Billups

imo, who would you rather? CP or EJ? Your going to have a hole in the backcourt next season most likely either way. If you trade for CP, you'll likely have a hole at SG. If you don't trade for CP, you'll likely have a hole at PG. I'd take CP over EJ everyday of the week.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
billups expires after this season, mo the next. this isnt a money issue here.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
billups expires after this season, mo the next. this isnt a money issue here.
It will be when their young guys expire and they have to give them big deals.

Jordan already got 11M and that salary increases by year. What will Gordon get? ATLEAST 12M, and with the way players are overpaid I'd guess more. Griffin will probably get near the max. CP will have a REAL nice payday if he's traded before January.

It just isn't logical to think that a cheap owner like Sterling would be willing to pay the heavy prices of the lux tax. We already saw them "lowball" Jordan with only 8M a year and when he tested the market his price was 3M more than that, that's the type of owner that's being dealt with. A guy that isn't, and hasn't, been willing to pay the big bucks.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Chris Paul talks that would never die were revived Monday night, with a twist that was enraging some rival general managers. The Clippers' winning waiver claim on Chauncey Billups allowed them to include point guard Eric Bledsoe in the deal, which could push it over the finish line, league sources told CBSSports.com.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score

Jordan already got 11M and that salary increases by year. What will Gordon get? ATLEAST 12M, and with the way players are overpaid I'd guess more. Griffin will probably get near the max. CP will have a REAL nice payday if he's traded before January.

It just isn't logical to think that a cheap owner like Sterling would be willing to pay the heavy prices of the lux tax. We already saw them "lowball" Jordan with only 8M a year and when he tested the market his price was 3M more than that, that's the type of owner that's being dealt with. A guy that isn't, and hasn't, been willing to pay the big bucks.
thats where you're wrong
he'll pay if he has to.

he was going to give kobe the max with brand already on board
gave kaman a huge deal
was going to sign lebron to the max last year

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score

Chris Paul has bad knees. As someone on PSD said, who knows if he turns into the next Brandon Roy

And they can afford CP3 and Gordon extensions...

So basically what I'm saying is I were the Clippers, I would not deal Gordon for CP3.
Aminu, Kaman, Bledsoe, 2012 MIN 1st. That would be my offer

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Except it was the Clippers who came crawling back, not the NBA...

IMO

They shouldn't give up Gordon IMO. And Butler would be the SF....

I think the talks have died down again. So much for the talk of it being Bledsoe...with Billups, the Clippers most likely added Bledsoe, but obviously it wasn't that. I'm guessing its the pick/Gordon...like others have speculated.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
How would they afford it?

Chris Paul and Blake Griffin, max or near max deals. Near max would be 17.4M annually, the max is about 20.3M annually.

Eric Gordon would get about 12-14M annually.

Then you have DeAndre Jordan who just signed a contract that gives him 11M annually.

That right there is 58.8M distributed over JUST four players. That's exceeding the cap, and you still have atleast 8-11 more players under contract. It's the same reason why so many people didn't think the Lakers or Knicks couldn't afford him and still fill their roster enough to be competitive.

Also, under the new CBA you can only offer ONE player coming off a rookie contract a five year max deal. What are the chances Griffin is that guy? If you don't offer them that, you have to offer them four years and less than the max. So that 58.8M could really be closer to 62M. Sterling would have to pay about 9M in tax penalties alone. And when they become repeat offenders that jumps dollar by dollar.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Maybe thats why no deal is happening...

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Maybe thats why no deal is happening...
I don't know, I just don't buy that a owner that has been notoriously cheap is suddenly going to just starting throwing money around in a new CBA that encourages less spending.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
That would be a lot of money...so maybe they are trying to keep the pick. Because a rookie contract would be much more affordable.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If the team starts winning and generating fan revenue it won't matter if he was cheap before. He's gonna make the money he "invests" back. Probably more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%