2014 NBA Offseason/Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
They need a backup big to protect the rim in the worst way.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm not concerned with a back up PG, as LeBron and Waiters can carry the load as primary ball handlers, with Miller, Ray or Marion jumping into the starting lineup. You're right about Varejao though.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Being the primary ball handler is one thing, but actually being able to get your team into its offense and different sets is another thing.  I think LeBron could do that, but I wouldn't want to trust Waiters with those duties.  Atleast not for a long stretch of games.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Teagz said:
They need a backup big to protect the rim in the worst way.

Yep.  That should be the big concern.  

You know that Love won't give you much defensively, but even Varejao struggled to defend the rim and the post last season.

I've been preaching all offseason that the second line of your defense is more important than the first line, and the Cavs don't have that.  Could argue they don't really have the first line either.

Mobruler

Wolves
Reaction score
I feel like nola isn't acknowledging the greatness that is Lebron.  There was a time when he led a dumpster fire of a Cavs team into the Finals.  I think this Cavs roster is at worst the 2nd best roster he's been surrounded with.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
What am I not acknowledging?  LeBron is the best player in the world, but he's not going to fix the few problems this team has.

I'm sure elcheato could even attest to that.

I'm not even saying these problems will keep them from winning the 1st seed or anything like that either.  That post is confusing.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
We don't need a rim protector, we need Kyrie and Dion to take steps forward defensively, which isn't as out of the realm of possibility as people want to believe. I know you'll hit me with stats saying they're bad defenders, because they are, but they're young and athletic, and now on a winning team for the first time. I expect a significant jump.

Mobruler

Wolves
Reaction score
We're microscoping bench deficiencies.  Would you not say this is the 1st or 2nd best roster he's been surrounded with?  

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Mobruler said:
We're microscoping bench deficiencies.  Would you not say this is the 1st or 2nd best roster he's been surrounded with?  

1st or 2nd?  I really haven't thought that far into it to be honest.

and we aren't talking about their bench anymore.  We're talking about Love and Varejao.

Mobruler

Wolves
Reaction score
Well I'd like to know how you think this team ranks in terms of rosters he's been surrounded by.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
They're hard to gauge as far as contending for a title. They're very clearly talented (I think a lot more talented than the Bulls), but 3 of their 4 best players haven't played in a single meaningful game. We don't know how they'll play defensively when they don't have to use as much energy as the primary scorer, we don't know if they're capable of deferring. All we know is they are super talented offensively and the rest is a crap shoot

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Were there really that many difference in the Heat from '12 to '14? They all clump into one team for me.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
In 2012 Dwyane Wade wasn't a corpse attempting to play basketball.

Mobruler

Wolves
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
Were there really that many difference in the Heat from '12 to '14? They all clump into one team for me.

I'd say the difference between 12 and 14 was vast.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah I think that 2011 team was very different than this past years team.  They were a lot better defensively, for starters.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
2011 was a different team with Bibby, Ilgauskas, etc. Hence why I didn't mention them.

How well some of the players played in the finals may have changed but from '12 to '14 their weren't that many personnel changes.

Birdman came in mid-way through maybe, Allen too. Beasley and Oden are irrelevant. Lost Miller in 14. What else?

Mobruler

Wolves
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
2011 was a different team with Bibby, Ilgauskas, etc. Hence why I didn't mention them.

How well some of the players played in the finals may have changed but from '12 to '14 their weren't that many personnel changes.

Birdman came in mid-way through maybe, Allen too. Beasley and Oden are irrelevant. Lost Miller in 14. What else?

Well the deterioration of the starting back court for one.  Wade became an old man and Chalmers took some weird path straight down hill. 

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Mario Chalmers had his best season as a pro. I don't think you watched the Heat in the regular season.

Mobruler

Wolves
Reaction score
I watched them in the playoffs when all the talk was about Chalmers being replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%