Website Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheed

Hi.
Reaction score
Alright I had an idea that came to my head a minute ago, and I think were actually better off doing this idea though. What I was thinking was that for the site, instead of creating our own, we use a free or cheap CMS such as Joomla, Wordpress, Mambo, etc. I know how to work all those and we can custom skins really cheap for them too. Just an idea to throw out there, give me some feedback on what you guys think. I need some input on this stuff, because this isnt my board its all of ours.

sheed

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
the way I see it - we have nothing... so anything is better than nothing

sheed

Hi.
Reaction score
Yeah I understand. Alright well if were going to use a CMS, I need some ideas on which one to use. So if anyone knows anything about CMS' post here which one you think is the best to use. I personally like Joomla.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Use what you want, and what is easiest to use but gives the best quality.
If you like Joomla use it.

sheed

Hi.
Reaction score
Alright well I was thinking and I know that like no one here knows anything about this stuff so I installed Joomla and its going veryyyyy good. I found a mod where it transfers all the forum users into Joomla and you can use your forum login on there, it also shows your PM's. Theres another mod I found that displays the last 5 I think it is posts. Its going to look really nice in the end. The only thing that I am still trying to figure out is the cross login, because if you login on Joomla it wont log you in on the forums if your not logged in. And vice versa, there may be a fix or there might not, I will keep you guys updated.

sheed

Hi.
Reaction score
Thats the only thing, we might have to pay for a custom one, but it shouldnt be anymore than about $20.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Couldn't we buy a site itself for 20? lol

sheed

Hi.
Reaction score
We could have an unstable code ourself website, our we could have a powerful site that we just have to config and add our own stuff to. So it would be a lot easier using Joomla IMO. And $20 is nothing for a good website, a good website costs about $200+. And Joomla templates arent easy to code at all, so I am pretty sure none of us could do it.

Marcum28

Reaction score
Thats the only thing, we might have to pay for a custom one, but it shouldnt be anymore than about $20.
Or I can make an ACTUAL website for you guys for $20.

Just throwing that out there....

And unlike what sheed said, it WILL be good. Don't believe me? Check out www.chillinmedia.com in my portfolio part.

sheed

Hi.
Reaction score
I could make stuff just like that for free if I really wanted to, but I think using a strong stable CMS such as Joomla would be a lot better. We can add a TON of stuff, and its easier to use.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'd say go free. It is the best price of them all.

sheed

Hi.
Reaction score
Yea exactly, I think Joomla is the best way to go. Free CMS, TONS of free add ons and extras, easy editing, etc.

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
is Joomla a totally different server?
cuz if that's the case, don't do it... our server is paid for with additional money being spent on Search Engine advertising..

sheed

Hi.
Reaction score
No, Joomla gets installed on this server running the forums.

Marcum28

Reaction score
I could make stuff just like that for free if I really wanted to, but I think using a strong stable CMS such as Joomla would be a lot better. We can add a TON of stuff, and its easier to use.
Joomla is branded though, I think a unique site would be much better. As for the money, I can do it for free, and it's more unique because someone actually made it rather than an overused site system. Initally I was looking for money, but if you guys aren't planning to pay for anything (even though you said you'd pay 20 for a skin,) I can do it for free so long I can use the site in my portfolio and jarrod or someone writes a testimonial for me.

Plus I could use the practice and would enjoy adding new things to test out. Also, I have a program called CuteNews, that'll make your life just as simple as joomla.

sheed

Hi.
Reaction score
Well its up to the members I guess, its just a lot easier using Joomla to add and edit news daily, and us being an all sports community I am sure there will be a lot of news to add.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%