Tigers Sign Fielder

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
And I guarantee I've seen more Tigers games than every single person who said that.
And he is not a poor defender at first. But you continue with your ignorant ass comments, based of what the "experts" say.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
If I take the bet, you can't be the one to decide if he's playing good defense or not because your opinion of players defense is clearly retarded.
I'm not the only one that thinks that, so I guess I'm not the only retarded one. It will have to be someone else on the site who isn't bias or anything like that, cause I'm not even sure you know what's average and below average and above average. So... We will go with... NV to decide. Fair enough?

First of all, what will it be or in reference to? I'm not saying he's going to be a star third baseman.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
And I guarantee you're not as good of a talent evaluator as they are.

Scouts who work for the Tigers who've seen every Miggy game ever would likely admit that he's a shitty defender

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
And I guarantee you're not as good of a talent evaluator as they are.

Scouts who work for the Tigers who've seen every Miggy game ever would likely admit that he's a shitty defender
No there likely isn't. Cause anyone who watches enough Tigers games would have the brain to realize he is a solid defender there. It's not like I'm saying a GOAT or anything. But he was far from shitty.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You keep saying how you watch Tiger games... But not only are you biased towards someone wearing your uniform, you also don't have a trained baseball eye or have anyone on your side that does. Sorry for trusting my own judgment and the judgment of professionals over yours when judging Cabrera's defense.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I've said plenty of times that players on the team are shitty defensive wise, I am not being biased.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
No there likely isn't. Cause anyone who watches enough Tigers games would have the brain to realize he is a solid defender there. It's not like I'm saying a GOAT or anything. But he was far from shitty.
I'm not going to argue this with you. It really isn't worth it, Detroit fans are the only ones who feel this way.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
I've said plenty of times that players on the team are shitty defensive wise, I am not being biased.
Yeah, you slam players when they are playing poorly and deserve the criticism, I've seen it a lot. It's not like you are always hyping up everybody on the team and saying how great each one of them are, I mean come on..

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Not even hyping Cabrera lol. Merely saying he was solid at 1st.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Not even hyping Cabrera lol. Merely saying he was solid at 1st.
That's all I've said, all I've said is he wasn't shitty at first, I never proclaimed him being anything close to elite, defensively. Everyone is making it seem like I declared him as the best first baseman in baseball, not even close. In my opinion, he played the position well enough, average, I would say. Close to average at least.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
"Very coordinated, long actions," one longtime National League talent evaluator said in a text message. "Range will be very little."

That concern could be tested, he said, on backhanded plays down the line. Get him charging in on bunts, and he'll have to fire on the fly.

"Footwork's OK," the scout continued. "Arm's a plus. He'll be more of a stationary type who must work hard to get by."
mlb.com article

This is exactly what I've said about Miggy, he has absolutely no range.

This is also why you think that he's a solid defender. It's easy to look good when you only actually field balls that you barely have to move for. When you look at him in comparison to guys who actually have range (ie. A-Gon, Tex) it's not even a comparison, they get to so many balls that he would never even make an attempt at.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You're right. I have no idea what his range is because I've never seen him in action!
I know what balls he can get to, and I know what he can't get to he. And with that said he was still solid.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
You just said he has NO range, in that article they said he has little range, which I would agree with. He has some at least, I've seen it. Just showed a video the other night that showed some.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
AJ Burnett is the greatest pitcher of all-time.

Debate me.

Oh wait, you can't because you don't watch the Yankees as much as I do so you clearly can't be as knowledgeable about a player on my favorite team.

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
AJ Burnett is the greatest pitcher of all-time.

Debate me.

Oh wait, you can't because you don't watch the Yankees as much as I do so you clearly can't be as knowledgeable about a player on my favorite team.
Lol oh AJ

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You just said he has NO range, in that article they said he has little range, which I would agree with. He has some at least, I've seen it. Just showed a video the other night that showed some.
Someone saying that Cabrera has little range does not help your argument. Having little range is not good..

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Doesn't really matter. I don't value your opinion and you don't value mine. My objective wasn't to get you to believe me. Nor do I care if you did. Just throwing out what I believe to be true.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Someone saying that Cabrera has little range does not help your argument. Having little range is not good..
He said he has no range, I didn't say it. I've never said he had much either, which I would agree with. He has little, it's limited but he can make some plays from time to time that make you go "Wow, Cabrera just made that play?" He has some hidden ability that just isn't shown all that often, but he can do it. Nor did I ever say having little range is good, so quit putting words in my mouth. You make it seem like I'm putting him on top of a bunch of other players who play the position better, I'm not doing that. I'll still say he was average, or close to it at first base, though.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Mark Simon of ESPN Research took a first glance at some of the Tigers' defensive numbers, and, not surprisingly, it's not a pretty picture.

As with all defensive metrics, these are just indicators, not absolutes, but it's worth noting the following. According to Baseball Info Solutions' defensive runs saved, Prince Fielder is the worst defensive first baseman in baseball since 2006, at 48 runs below average (-48 DRS) during that time.

Baseball Info Solutions has a group of video scouts who watch every play of every game (similar to our football video review groups) and categorize plays as good fielding plays (GFPs) and defensive misplays & errors (DM&E). There are more than 80 categories. Fielder's 42 Defensive Misplays & Errors were the most in the majors in 2011.

With Fielder at first, the word is that Cabrera is going back to third. Since Cabrera became a first baseman in 2008, he has -21 DRS, and he was even worse when he played third.

In 2006 and 2007, Cabrera was credited with -25 DRS (cost his team 25 runs), third-most of any third baseman in the majors in that span.

According to Simon, if we made the presumption that the Tigers went primarily with an infield of Fielder, Ryan Raburn, Jhonny Peralta and Cabrera, and each of them performed to their career DRS average, with Fielder and Cabrera playing 1,300 innings, and Raburn and Peralta playing 1,100 innings, they would produce -43 DRS as a unit, which is 20 runs worse than last year.
These guys are more qualified than you Rip because they've watched every single play Miggy has ever made, you've watched him a lot but I can guarantee that you've never seen every single play.

Every statistic and the eye test points to Miggy being a poor defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%