Official World Cup Thread

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Also how can you list Spanish midfielders and leave out Fabregas...
Yea, I forgot to mention Cesc, but I feel Iniesta and Xavi are better. That team is just so great and they play so well together. Man I cant wait to watch them play for real.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
van Nistelrooy was left off the Dutch team. He had retired from international play but had expressed interest in playing.

Speaking of, the Dutch are my team should Italy flop. I just love their playing style.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
I think a team that will be overlooked and will make a lot of noise is Ivory Coast. I think they can go deep in the World Cup. Drogba always finds a way to make clutch goals.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
They have good young players and their strong point is probably the offense. I just don't think they have defense to hold top teams like Spain.

They are going in the right direction and now they have a coach with experience to help them out.

sheed

Hi.
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that people are saying Italy won't make it out of the group stage. They have a young group this year, but there is a good mix of veterans and young guys. If we play strong there is a good chance we can make it far.

mg91

Mr. Man Utd
Reaction score
Who said they wouldn't make it out the group stage?

Ivory Coast will struggle to make it out the group stage imo. Portugal and Brazil SHOULD prove too strong. I suppose weirder things have happened.

sheed

Hi.
Reaction score
A lot of people I know are saying that. We're not a completely different team or anything. We're really only missing Inzaghi, Totti, and Toni. Although I shouldn't say really only missing, because they are vital parts to the team. I think the only thing going against us is age, a lot of guys are getting up there. But I think if the young guys step up we will do good.

"Germany's number 1 goalkeeper Rene Adler and midfielder Simon Rolfes will miss the World Cup after both players pulled out injured on Tuesday." Good, I can't stand Germany or France.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Its gonna be insane to watch USA vs. England since 2 of my friends that will be watching are british. Prolly gonna do a nice party for the game.

sheed

Hi.
Reaction score
I just can't wait for the World Cup to start in general. Less than a month away. I plan on watching all of Italy and possibly Brazil's games.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Yea, Im pretty excited about this World Cup. Its going to be really special because I feel that there are going to be many surprise teams in this Cup.

sheed

Hi.
Reaction score
Yeah, it's going to be pretty exciting. Never been so excited for soccer before, except for the final in '06 of course. Hopefully Italy will pull through and surprise!

sheed

Hi.
Reaction score
England picked their squad today for the World Cup. They dropped seven players that were supposedly making the team.

The seven players dropped from the provisional squad were Leighton Baines, Darren Bent, Michael Dawson, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Scott Parker and Theo Walcott.
Everyone is crying that Walcott didn't make it. I guess he is supposed to be real good and he's only 21. I don't pay attention to England so I don't know about everyone else, because quite frankly I can't stand their soccer teams.

mg91

Mr. Man Utd
Reaction score
Walcott is overrated.

Seriously. There's a saying that form is temporary class is permanent.

In Walcott's case it's more like form is temporary but you're only a little better than average atm. He's young though, so he still has at least two more chances to play at the WC, he'll be good enough eventually.

If he wasn't picked for the 06 WC squad by that idiot Errikson (he was only just 18 and hadn't made a single club appearance), no one would care about him.

I think the manager made the right calls here.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Capello knows what he's doing...Lippi, on the other hand, is still as hard-headed as can be. Rossi left off and still no Cassano.

sheed

Hi.
Reaction score
I wish he would have taken Totti back. He said he wanted to play and was ready. But I really like Iaquinta and Di Natale. They will be key to our striking along with the obvious Gilardino.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
I really hope we beat England so I can shove it in my British friends face, lol.

mg91

Mr. Man Utd
Reaction score
England have been ordinary in there friendlies Rooney aside. He looks the only one who can be bothered frankly. I hope they pick it up. I'm sure Capello will ensure they do.

I was surprised Lippi dropped Rossi. I think Italy's strike force is it's weakest asset.But I thought the same last time as well. They're very good through the middle and damn near impregnable at the back, so they'll do well. I don't think they'll win it though. They probably won't get another bull<Censored> penalty in the Second Round this time :p

Mooche

Reaction score
I was shocked with the move of letting Rossi go as well.... Still don't get it. With that being said, I really feel Italy is coming into this World Cup as a true dark-horse. People (like mg91) said that Italy lacks a lot of striking ability - however, I feel that it may not be truly top, but it will get the job done. This striking unit lacks a huge superstar but they can find the back of the net. As well, Italy has shown that you need defense to win... you need to have a solid back end and they bring back Buffon. Nuff' said. With that defensive core, as well as strong mid-field led by play making wiz Andrea Pirlo. I truly think Italy will be back fighting in the thick of things again this World Cup.

sheed

Hi.
Reaction score
I was shocked with the move of letting Rossi go as well.... Still don't get it. With that being said, I really feel Italy is coming into this World Cup as a true dark-horse. People (like mg91) said that Italy lacks a lot of striking ability - however, I feel that it may not be truly top, but it will get the job done. This striking unit lacks a huge superstar but they can find the back of the net. As well, Italy has shown that you need defense to win... you need to have a solid back end and they bring back Buffon. Nuff' said. With that defensive core, as well as strong mid-field led by play making wiz Andrea Pirlo. I truly think Italy will be back fighting in the thick of things again this World Cup.
Can't agree more Mooche. Our defensive core + Buffon is one of the top defenses if not the best in the World Cup. Cannavaro and Zambrotta know how to get it done. I have faith in Gilardino, Iaquinta, and Di Natale to get us some goals.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Wish Italy would of had Toni and Totti, but I will be rooting for them all the way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%