Official 2011 Trade Deadline Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Yet, one player who is likely on their radar for an upgrade is Toronto winger Kris Versteeg, whose cap hit is an affordable $3.083 million this year and next.

The soon-to-be 25-year-old left wing is a perfect fit for the Flyers: a gritty, hard checker who plays above his 5-foot-10 size. The bad? He could cost the Flyers James van Riemsdyk, a player Leafs GM Brian Burke likes a lot and believes will be a future Olympian for Team USA.

Burke has already hung his “open for business” shingle on his doorstep along 50 Bay Street in The Big T.O.

“You try and keep the TV off as much as possible,” Versteeg told the Globe and Mail this week, when asked about trade rumors. “You're in Toronto, it's hard to ignore everything when you're getting asked about it, but you do got to go out there and just try to play your game.

“I don't know too much. Obviously from getting asked questions and everything, something might happen. You've got to take it as a compliment at times, too, if teams do want you to go help. But at the same time, it's almost funny when you hear people [in the media] talk, there are times when they think I'm older than I really am.

“It's only my third full year in the league, I'm 24 years old and when they talk it's almost like I'm 30 years old and has done it all. And I haven't done anything yet I feel like. It's kind of funny.”

BTW: did you know Versteeg likes to sing?

So, have the Flyers asked about him?

“Who hasn’t?” Burke told us on Friday.

‘Nuf said.
http://www.csnphilly.com/02/12/11/bNHL-Notebookb-Torontos-Versteeg-in-Flye/landing_insider_panaccio.html?blockID=409259&feedID=704

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
No concrete evidence but some Bruins bloggers saying a deal may be coming. One of them mentioned Kaberle or maybe Corvo. I hope it's not either honestly.

If they're gonna try for Kaberle, I'd rather just get Pitkanen instead. The only difference in price maybe a current defender. But he's younger and under control for next season and for less money.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Bruins fans may like this

Two nights after the Bruins-Canadiens dustup at the Garden, the Penguins and Islanders went old school in Uniondale with brawls in the first and third periods. Penguins goalie Brent Johnson, who mashed up Rick DiPietro’s face days earlier, was at it again — this time with minor league tough guy Michael Haley. Final tally: a stunning 9-3 Islander victory and a pair of benches that were nearly as vacant at night’s end as the Nassau Coliseum stands most nights.

Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli is willing to deal that first-round Toronto pick he’s holding from the September 2009 Phil Kessel deal. The only two viable names on the radar screen right now for him to surrender it: 1. Brad Richards; 2. Zach Bogosian. Both would be huge pickups here and both would require the Bruins adding bodies to the mix . . . The only surprise regarding Mark Stuart will be if he’s still with Boston after the Feb. 28 trade deadline. Many possible suitors for him, including Los Angeles, where Mike O’Connell works in pro development. O’Connell was GM here when the Bruins drafted Stuart 21st overall in 2003 . . . Congrats to Nick Benning, whose father, Jim, is one of the Bruins’ assistant GMs. Young Nick is headed to BC High in September, and hopes to suit up for the Eagles hockey team . . . Going into last night’s matchup vs. the Habs, Kessel had gone more than a month (13 games) without a goal, a subject that has turned into a “morbid fascination’’ among fans and media in TO, in the words of Toronto Star reporter Paul Hunter. Prior to the drought, the ex-Bruin had potted five goals in four games . . . Look for Leafs defenseman Tomas Kaberle to finally have a new home on or before Feb. 28. Yes, it could be Boston, where Kaberle’s main impact would be on the atrophied power play. It makes zero sense to have Mark Recchi, one of the game’s best goal scorers from in tight, working out on the point. Like taking a Clydesdale to a poodle convention. If you want to get creative, park 7-feet-on-skates Zdeno Chara at center on the power play and count the damage, both in terms of goals scored and defensemen leveled.
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/articles/2011/02/13/code_breakers_relay_an_important_message/?page=5

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Darren Dreger

Lots of interest in MacArthur, but Toronto is in no rush to move in. Leafs need players.
about 2 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®
I'll be pretty pissed if we trade MacArthur.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'd love either of those guys but I don't want to think of what else they'd have to give up for either of them

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Couldn't imagine too much more actually. Bogosian's value has dropped and Richards is in his contract year. That pick could get better thanks to the recent retarded move made by Brian Burke.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If it's nothing more than another pick and/or a lesser prospect, I'd love to put Bogosian on the PP here. I think he'd learn a lot from Chara too

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Gaining Bogosian would easily put you guys over the top for years.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm pleading for Chiarelli to get it done.

I also need Minnesota to fall out of the playoff race because I want John Madden lol

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
* Nick Kypreos via twitter: Though he hasn’t officially asked for a trade, it’s been noted that Thrashers defenseman Zach Bogosian isn’t happy in Atlanta and may like a change of scenery by next year.

* James Mirtle of the Globe and Mail: Multiple reports are saying the Maple Leafs and Bruins are discussing a Tomas Kaberle trade. This will likely be the last chance Burke has to get an asset back for Kaberle as it’s unlikely he would re-sign with the Leafs.

* Stephen Harris of the Boston Herald: The Bruins have added some depth with 3rd liner Chris Kelly, should now turn their focus to adding a much needed defenseman. The Tomas Kaberle rumors are running rampant. “Tomas Kaberle has not waived his no-trade clause concerning Boston,” Burke said. GM Peter Chiarelli said they have a list of 9 defenseman.

* Bob McKenzie via twitter: McKenzie could only come up with 7 of 9 defenseman that the Boston Bruins could be interested in: Tomas Kaberle, Joni Pitkanen, Eric Brewer, Bryan McCabe, Chris Phillips, Ed Jovanovski, Zach Bogosian.

* Jim Matheson via twitter: Matheson thinks that if the Dallas Stars continue to drop in the standings they have to trade Brad Richards (if his head injury is minor).

* Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News: Brad Richards didn’t fly with the team and will not play tonight against Calgary. Coach Marc Crawford said he’ll be re-evaluated today, and could join the team before Saturday’s game.

* Pierre LeBrun via twitter: Senators GM Bryan Murray said this morning that he hope to make “one or two more” trades and there is nothing new on the Chris Phillips front.

* Ken Warren of the Ottawa Citizen: Alex Kovalev realizes that his days as an Ottawa Senator could be coming to an end and he’s not letting the rumors bother him. “I’ve been around for a long time, I’ve been traded a few times, so it’s not new for me,” Kovalev said of the constant trade speculation surrounding himself and several teammates. “The job is still the same, to be a hockey player and help whatever team (you’re) playing for.”

* Tom Gulitti of the Bergon Record: Jason Arnott is still pondering about waiving his no-trade clause. He wants to play in the playoffs this year, but the Devils are on quite the run and may feel they have a shot if it continues. Arnott has talked to Lamoriello ‘in theory’ about waiving it, with the Penguins, Canadiens, and Capitals rumored to be interested.
http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2011/02/16/zach-bogosian-unhappy-in-atlanta-boston-bruins-alex-kovalev/

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Chris Phillips declared today and he wants to stay and help the rebuild.
http://www.twitter.com/SunGarrioch

-----------

Don't really know why he would want to stay, same with the fans and management. If they are going into rebuild mode,he should not be part of their future plans.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
3:46pm: RT @JeffMarek: Looks like Ian White to Vancouver according to @maydayhockey on @hnicradio

4:33pm: RT @TSNBobMcKenzie: I am told the Vancouver Canucks have not traded for Ian White and have not even had a single conversation about trading for Ian White.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I came up with the probably 9 before McKenzie and we had pretty much the same list. Surprised to see Jovanovski on his list. I'd swap him with Yandle and add Seabrook and Regehr. The former two being more "pipe-dream" types.

And, if that's the case, I don't want any part of Regehr or Phillips.

Mr.Baller

Reaction score
Weird that Phillips is willing to stay with sens ... doesnt he want to be a part of a winning team

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Maybe the winning teams don't want to pay the price, both players/picks and his contract

Mr.Baller

Reaction score
Did u guys heard about the rumor sending hemsky and Tom Gilbert for like AK+Danny Kristo and something ... even Bob Mckenzie talked about it on twitter like 2 or 3 days ago ! It could be something good for both sides ! Ak could maybe be the player he should be and kristo does have a bright future ... next game its vs Oilers maybe after that the move could be done ?...

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
With all the recent moves around the league, I get the feeling this is going to be a pretty boring deadline.

Mr.Baller

Reaction score
Ya man ! But with all theses moves it makes me thing that this could be one of the biggest also ... lots of team are looking for big changes ! And this deadline could be the date were all teams could be moving ... But what hurts me,are the teams that are gettin way to boosted ... like Flyers man god

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%