2017 NFL Gameday Thread

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
Even then, there was still like 12 minutes left in that game.
im just saying that was the only thing I can honestly think of where i legitimately think the pats got screwed on a call and we lost the game

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
JZsportswhiz said:
I have no idea what a catch is anymore. I saw 3 challenges on completed passes in the 2 games I watched and was wrong on all 3
Packers game? Yeah thats what prompted my post earlier

BNC

Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
Other Pats fans will say the missed holding call/PI on Gronk against Seattle last year, but that was as much OPI as it was DPI so i was fine with the no call

I'd honestly say the last time we got screwed like that was the '13 AFCCG where Asshat Bernard Pollard killed Ridley, and he fumbled when his knee was down but they called it Baltimore ball, and we lost that game

thats like the only thing i can think of. we get so lucky that its gonna cause the worst of local TV ratings once BB/Brady retire and we go back to the obscurity of the 90s 
There was that game against the Panthers on MNF or maybe SNF a couple of years ago where there was a possible PI call at the end of the game and Brady was screaming at the refs on his way off the field. 

BNC

Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
So that douche Mike Pereira says "going to the ground trumps lunging/reaching to try and get extra yards or a TD." - So how come RBs can fumble the ball as they're crossing the plane but it's still a TD because it was a rushing attempt? 
Because that has nothing to do with catching the ball

BNC

Reaction score
I'm probably in the minority here but I thought it was the correct call, and I hate the Patriots

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
That's the point. It seems nobody, even people in the business, know what a catch is anymore. I was just comparing the a catch and a carry, where in both instances the player can be reaching across the goalline - but for one player it's not a TD, the other player it's a TD even if the ball comes loose. It's absurd. 

We all know it is the "right call". We're not arguing that. 

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Good on the Redskins to wait until they're eliminated to start winning games again.

BNC

Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
I was just comparing the a catch and a carry, where in both instances the player can be reaching across the goalline - but for one player it's not a TD, the other player it's a TD even if the ball comes loose. It's absurd. 
Not really absurd at all, one of them has to actually catch the ball whereas the other already has posession. If this would have been incomplete anywhere but the end zone it should be incomplete here. 

You're basically comparing a fumble to an incompletion 

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
BNC said:
There was that game against the Panthers on MNF or maybe SNF a couple of years ago where there was a possible PI call at the end of the game and Brady was screaming at the refs on his way off the field. 
Thank you THIS THIS THIS damn I forgot about this 

That call was still bullshit, that Kuechly fucking tackled Gronk before he can make a play to catch the ball. I'm still mad as fuck about that call, because this here was just the rulebook being a cunt. That one is the refs being assholes and not calling PI because the Patriots would have won otherwise.

I know no every other team gets as lucky as the Patriots do, but I can still be mad at that outcome.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
That's another rule that needs to be adjusted somehow.

There's really no reason the defense should get possession on a fumble through the endzone. Maybe give the offense the ball at the 20 or something and lose the down.

Delirium

Super Legend
Reaction score
Hurricane Season said:
That's another rule that needs to be adjusted somehow.

There's really no reason the defense should get possession on a fumble through the endzone. Maybe give the offense the ball at the 20 or something and replay the down.
The endzone is the most important area of the field. You gotta watch what you do when you're near it. If you fumble right before it you don't deserve anything good. It's one of the only rules in football that favors the defense in an offensively biased era.

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
Thank you THIS THIS THIS damn I forgot about this 

That call was still bullshit, that Kuechly fucking tackled Gronk before he can make a play to catch the ball. I'm still mad as fuck about that call, because this here was just the rulebook being a cunt. That one is the refs being assholes and not calling PI because the Patriots would have won otherwise.

I know no every other team gets as lucky as the Patriots do, but I can still be mad at that outcome.
The Patriots legitimately win 99.9% of the games they win. This call is an anomaly.

The Seahawks with Russell Wilson have experienced more absurd luck than anybody. I will never understand how teams control them rather easily all game, then the Red Sea parts for Russell Wilson at the end and he hits one wide open receiver after another. They experience so much luck the endings of their games look practically scripted.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Delirium said:
The endzone is the most important area of the field. You gotta watch what you do when you're near it. If you fumble right before it you don't deserve anything good. It's one of the only rules in football that favors the defense in an offensively biased era.
Losing 20 yards and the down still favors the defense.

Offense retains possession if the ball goes out of bounds anywhere else on the field. The endzone shouldn't be different.

Delirium

Super Legend
Reaction score
Hurricane Season said:
Losing 20 yards and the down still favors the defense.

Offense retains possession if the ball goes out of bounds anywhere else on the field. The endzone shouldn't be different.
The endzone IS different. A catch anywhere else on the field is just a regular catch, but in the endzone, it's a touchdown.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
BNC said:
Not really absurd at all, one of them has to actually catch the ball whereas the other already has posession. If this would have been incomplete anywhere but the end zone it should be incomplete here. 

You're basically comparing a fumble to an incompletion 
I'm making the comparison because if he doesn't reach out, he's down at the 1 and it's a completion.

We all know he had possession of the ball before he reached out. So why is it any different from someone carrying? It's a flawed rule that needs to be corrected. No other way to look at it.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
The entire point is that there should be absolutely no debate over what is and isnt a catch. If the majority of people are leaving any game confused over that ruling, then its a bad rule.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The NFL is literally the only variation of organized football in which "the catch rule" is a problem. 

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The rule is way too pedantic. By trying to write out what a catch is they made it harder to determine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%