2017 NBA Off-Season

Paulius

Reaction score
Delirium said:
Also factor in how giving the player the ability to choose will inevitably screw over a team just because the player doesn't want to play there. It's hard enough for irrelevant teams to become relevant, even with the ability to draft the players they want. Now you want these rookies to get off their pedestal and go play for a bottom feeder just because they give them a big contract? It'll be like college. The top teams will get the top players.
I think hes implying that money would be the reason and the motivation to sign with shittier teams, cuz sure they could pick the Warriors for example but theyd get way less money

My issue is that all the guys would team up on one team like AAU, and the other issue is that lots of guys bust or dont reach the expectations and will be getting paid way too much and that will handicap teams salary wise to do anything for some years until their contracts expire because who would wanna trade for a bust u know

Delirium

Super Legend
Reaction score
Big Poppa said:
I think hes implying that money would be the reason and the motivation to sign with shittier teams, cuz sure they could pick the Warriors for example but theyd get way less money

My issue is that all the guys would team up on one team like AAU, and the other issue is that lots of guys bust or dont reach the expectations and will be getting paid way too much and that will handicap teams salary wise to do anything for some years until their contracts expire because who would wanna trade for a bust u know
Sure, the guys at the very top could be bought by the highest bidders (who says that would be the worst teams anyway), but all those guys in the middle would have a sea of different offers and it would come down to who they want to play for. If the Jazz and the Knicks offer similar contracts, that sucks for the Jazz.

And what about trades? No more trading draft picks. No more of a rebuilding team gathering a bunch of picks to plan their future that way. Can't secure young talent by making smart draft moves. It's all just paying money then.

Paulius

Reaction score
Delirium said:
Sure, the guys at the very top could be bought by the highest bidders (who says that would be the worst teams anyway), but all those guys in the middle would have a sea of different offers and it would come down to who they want to play for. If the Jazz and the Knicks offer similar contracts, that sucks for the Jazz.

And what about trades? No more trading draft picks. No more of a rebuilding team gathering a bunch of picks to plan their future that way. Can't secure young talent by making smart draft moves. It's all just paying money then.
Yea i totally feel you on the first part. If its knicks vs the jazz yea its a wrap

For the second part, like i suggested above that if it did come down to it, trade the 'rights to sign a rookie' or whatever theyd call it so for example pelicans make a trade with the celtics, and celtics add that in and that would result in Pelicans being able to sign another guy, but like i said thatd only apply if they put a limit on how many rookies a team can sign and if they only allowed to sign one first rounder and one second rounder per team. So u make a trade like that, and pelicans are allowed to sign two guys, and celtics are out for that draft and so on

Paulius

Reaction score
But either way itd all be a huge clusterfuck if they started doing that soon since teams owe other teams drafts pick thru like 2024 anyway so theres really no solution for this

BNC

Reaction score
Big Poppa said:
Ok that last part sparked something

If a team would only be able to sign one rookie from the projected first round and one rookie from the second round, that would be more fair imo

That would put teams at risk at knowing who to sign, instead of just signing all top 3 picks.

That idea would be interesting and fun imo

They could also do something like trading your rights of a pick, and then a team could be able to sign two guys. Idk just an idea, that wouldnt allow all top guys go go one team
There's no projected first round and second round, you just sign them to a contract that has a max value similar to how the league works now, just don't allow them to sign multiple rookies to the rookie max

Paulius

Reaction score
BNC said:
There's no projected first round and second round, you just sign them to a contract that has a max value similar to how the league works now, just don't allow them to sign multiple rookies to the rookie max
I would put a limit on how many rookies they can sign so they all dont sign with one team

BNC

Reaction score
Delirium said:
Also factor in how giving the player the ability to choose will inevitably screw over a team just because the player doesn't want to play there. It's hard enough for irrelevant teams to become relevant, even with the ability to draft the players they want. Now you want these rookies to get off their pedestal and go play for a bottom feeder just because they give them a big contract? It'll be like college. The top teams will get the top players.
The Rookies will go where they and their agent thinks fits best for their career, if a smaller market team wants to sign a rookie they will be able to by offering more money. A good coaching staff could be as attractive to a rookie as the market they play in

BNC

Reaction score
Big Poppa said:

Instead you have guys like KAT on a rookie contract who are be paid way less than they should, it works both ways

BNC

Reaction score
Delirium said:

You rebuild by signing rookies rather than hoping you are able to draft the rights of one of them. The middle teams get the middle of the pack young talent like it is now

BNC

Reaction score
Big Poppa said:
I would put a limit on how many rookies they can sign so they all dont sign with one team
That's another option. I don't like it but if people are that concerned about rookies teaming up then yea you can limit them

Paulius

Reaction score
BNC said:
Instead you have guys like KAT on a rookie contract who are be paid way less than they should, it works both ways
Not at all, because hes going to get the money he deserves thru the next two or three contracts he signs anyway. Rookie contract is perfect for them to prove they deserve the money and are max worthy players.

Sign Anthony Bennett the first overall to a max contract and he handicaps the teams salary cap for 4 years. Thats fucked

BNC

Reaction score
If you actually want to get more parity in the league you would have to establish a hard cap, eliminate max contracts and eliminate the draft. But there's a number of reasons none of these will ever happen

BNC

Reaction score
Big Poppa said:
Not at all, because hes going to get the money he deserves thru the next two or three contracts he signs anyway. Rookie contract is perfect for them to prove they deserve the money and are max worthy players.

Sign Anthony Bennett the first overall to a max contract and he handicaps the teams salary cap for 4 years. Thats fucked
No one is going to sign Bennett to a max contract, you don't HAVE to give out a max to the rookies, you give them what you think they deserve to the point that the contract will add value to your franchise.

And just because KAT will be paid what he's deserves in the future doesn't mean he isn't grossly underpaid now

Paulius

Reaction score
BNC said:
No one is going to sign Bennett to a max contract, you don't HAVE to give out a max to the rookies, you give them what you think they deserve to the point that the contract will add value to your franchise.

And just because KAT will be paid what he's deserves in the future doesn't mean he isn't grossly underpaid now
You say that about Bennett now, but after the draft in the summer when hes getting his contract before anyone sees him bust? Im sure theyd value the first overall pick pretty high and throw a bag at him

Paulius

Reaction score
If the NBA thought Bennett was the first overall pick, what would make them not want to throw money at him even if there was no draft? Obviously we look now and know that bennetts a bust but no one knew then, and he'd still be getting his money for nothing

BNC

Reaction score
Big Poppa said:
You say that about Bennett now, but after the draft in the summer when hes getting his contract before anyone sees him bust? Im sure theyd value the first overall pick pretty high and throw a bag at him
Except there's no such thing as a first overall pick in this scenario. I think you would agree that not all drafts are created equal, right? Teams aren't going to value Bennett as a max rookie and therefore won't be giving him that type of contract. And even if they do the teams need be able to manage their rosters well. Eventually teams will figure out what the value of a typical rookie is and pay them that

BNC

Reaction score
Big Poppa said:
If the NBA thought Bennett was the first overall pick, what would make them not want to throw money at him even if there was no draft? Obviously we look now and know that bennetts a bust but no one knew then, and he'd still be getting his money for nothing
That was a historically bad draft. Bennett would have been like 10th in the draft after that and 8th in the draft before it (I have no idea if this is correct, but you get the point)

Paulius

Reaction score
Yea i mean overall, its a pretty interesting idea but they would have to fix alot of flaws for it to happen

Either way dont think anything like this will happen anytime soon, i dont mind the way it is now

The only thing i wish they changed about the draft is if a team has a top 3 pick in one draft, they cant have it again in the next one. That way it would give other teams a chance to get a stud instead of for example ingram dangelo lonzo all going to the Lakers

BNC

Reaction score
I don’t like how the draft rewards bad management, whereas this would reward smart teams

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
BNC said:
That was a historically bad draft. Bennett would have been like 10th in the draft after that and 8th in the draft before it (I have no idea if this is correct, but you get the point)
But youre 100% using hindsight in your argument against Bennett. Even if he wouldnt get a rookie max, he would get probably 4-5x the amount that Giannis would earn in the same class. Nobody would be paying top dollar for him, and then you have the same situation for him as real life.

It seems like your entire purpose of the lack of a draft is to get higher wages for rookies. And again as I said earlier, it only applies to the first few draftees of the class. Giannis wouldnt get paid shit coming out of the draft, nor would any project player like Paul George. And youd have guys like Jahlil Okafor with giant contracts on the scale of a Mozgov deal despite being awful in the NBA

there are other ways to get rookies more money (although I disagree that its needed, knowing none of the other major sports do that). this way is dumb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%