2017 NBA Off-Season

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
BNC said:
Anyone care to explain why?

Plus it would completely eliminate tanking

Because THAT will absolutely create even more imbalance among teams. Letting the rookies choose where they go and it can create a Kentucky-type of NBA program where all the young rookies join together.

Like right now Philly has a projected $60M in practical cap space. You can add Doncic, Porter, Bagley, and Bamba all to the Sixers with Fultz, Simmons, Saric, Embiid, etc....

What rookie is going to sign with below market teams like Utah or Atlanta or Orlando? All the top rookies are all going to sign in advantageous situations, which then erases franchise saving situations like Anthony Davis to New Orleans

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
BNC said:
SVG proposes abolishing the draft and having all rookies enter the league as free agents, I support this idea
hes not always smart

BNC

Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:

Because THAT will absolutely create even more imbalance among teams. Letting the rookies choose where they go and it can create a Kentucky-type of NBA program where all the young rookies join together.

Like right now Philly has a projected $60M in practical cap space. You can add Doncic, Porter, Bagley, and Bamba all to the Sixers with Fultz, Simmons, Saric, Embiid, etc....

What rookie is going to sign with below market teams like Utah or Atlanta or Orlando? All the top rookies are all going to sign in advantageous situations, which then erases franchise saving situations like Anthony Davis to New Orleans
Except in that scenario Philly would have paid Simmons, Fultz, Embiid, Okafor etc. above the value of their rookie contracts, so no they wouldn't be able to sign all of those rookies, and wouldn't have nearly $60M in cap room.

The rookies will be going to sign with Atlanta or Orlando etc if they offer the rookies more money. You see a guy like Anthony Davis and you offer him $15-$20M a year, something that the competitive teams aren't going to be able to afford.

I think you missed the part (or I just didn't even add it) where the rookies wouldn't be confined by the rookie contract level.

I'm genuinely curious to your response to this because you have a solid understanding of the CBA

Delirium

Super Legend
Reaction score
Competitive teams won't be able to afford the top rookies? Then how can they still afford all these super teams with veteran players?

Paulius

Reaction score
BNC said:
The second part is a good point.

The first one is not how this would work, there is no reason you would have to eliminate the cap and no a lot of rookies would not be playing for the minimum, second rounders most likely would be, but they're not shifting the needle on title teams. Alot of the top 15 picks would earn as much, if not more, than they do now
Thats not right tho. Alot of them dont pan out, 'bust' etc thats why right now they get the rookie contracts to see what they're about. You cant go out there and pay Darko Milicic 4/15 and watch him on the end of the bench making 15 million a year after he busts. Rookie contracts are sort of a way to prove yourself and show that youre worthy of a big contract

Paulius

Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:

+100, perfectly explained the flaws of it

Paulius

Reaction score
So in your case BNC, Bulls have all of the cap in the world next summer, so Doncic Porter Bagley Bamba Bridges Ayton all can just sign here and make a future super team. I mean id be down lol but its just not right

Paulius

Reaction score
Yoo read this if yall remember how Hakeem straight destroyed Drob with every move in the book in that series

From Dennis Rodman's book "Bad As I Wanna Be"

Where was David Robinson in the Houston series (1995 Western Conference Finals)? He got eaten alive by Hakeem Olajuwon that whole series. They asked me to guard Olajuwon, and I refused. Bob Hill came up to me and asked if I would take Hakeem in the first half, and I said no. I would have taken him in the second half, but not the first. Any coach will tell you you don't put your best defensive player on the other team's best offensive player in the first half. You put it all on the line in the second half. That's how it worked with Chuck Daly in Detroit, and I know that's how Phil Jackson feels in Chicago.

What you try to do is contain the guy in the first half and make sure your best defensive player doesn't get into foul trouble early. You've got be physical with Hakeem, and I'm no good if I've got three or four fouls in the first half. Then every time I touch somebody, it's a foul. Against Los Angeles in the semifinals I couldn't touch Elden Campbell without being called for a foul, and Elden Campbell doesn't get the breaks from the refs like Hakeem does. So if you want me to guard him in the second, half, fine

David got into foul trouble against Hakeem just by falling down. David asked me for help, and I told him right to his fucking face, "I am not going down there." I was not going to help him. He didn't say anything to me, because there was nothing he could say. Before those games, he looked so fucking scared in the locker room, he couldn't stop shaking.

They asked me to double-team Olajuwon, and I refused. The way the defense was drawn up, there was no way I was going to be able to get back down inside when my man was at the top of the key or way out on the baseline. The defense didn't make sense, and I told Bob Hill this. He just looked at me and said, "This is the defense we're going to run."

In practice every day Coach Hill would say "David, you think you can play Olajuwon straight up?" David would just shrug and say, "You all can come down and help if you want." Never once did he say he could take him by himself. This guy was the MVP of the league, and they were paying him $8 million a year. He needed to step up and at least say he could do it by himself. He was supposed to be the one leading this team

BNC

Reaction score
Delirium said:
Competitive teams won't be able to afford the top rookies? Then how can they still afford all these super teams with veteran players?
Bird Right's and cap jump.

How are we still doing this?

BNC

Reaction score
Big Poppa said:
Thats not right tho. Alot of them dont pan out, 'bust' etc thats why right now they get the rookie contracts to see what they're about. You cant go out there and pay Darko Milicic 4/15 and watch him on the end of the bench making 15 million a year after he busts. Rookie contracts are sort of a way to prove yourself and show that youre worthy of a big contract
Then teams need to be better at talent evaluation

BNC

Reaction score
Big Poppa said:
+100, perfectly explained the flaws of it
Not really, I think he misunderstood how the salaries would work

BNC

Reaction score
Big Poppa said:
So in your case BNC, Bulls have all of the cap in the world next summer, so Doncic Porter Bagley Bamba Bridges Ayton all can just sign here and make a future super team. I mean id be down lol but its just not right
Yea if no team was willing to pay them more. They're not all signing 4 year $15M contracts like they do now. That's not how this would end up working

Paulius

Reaction score
BNC said:
Then teams need to be better at talent evaluation
Thats asking too much from them. The nba is a different animal. They destroy in college/euroleague and the expectations are always there but they just bust. Its way too risky to just throw out 4/15 at Anthony Bennett imo. Rookie contracts are perfect to prove your worth and show that you deserve big money

Paulius

Reaction score
BNC said:
Yea if no team was willing to pay them more. They're not all signing 4 year $15M contracts like they do now. That's not how this would end up working
So how would you have the salaries then? 1-5 picks get more than 6-10 picks or something? Either way doesnt change the fact that some of them will bust and will be getting paid way too much

Paulius

Reaction score
And if you're saying they wouldnt all sign 4/15, then what would they sign? More than that?!

If its less than that, all those guys i named could still form a superteam here in Chicago

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%