2017 NBA Off-Season

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
BNC said:
Not really, I think he misunderstood how the salaries would work
No, I think you don't fully rationalize it.

First off, teams paying $20M+ annually for an 18 year old with zero NBA experience is just not going to happen. Sure, the top guys would probably get more than the AAV of their draft selection, but that's not the purpose of the draft scale. Its to benefit the lower picked selections and offer them structured guaranteed contracts. It lessens the number of rookies entering in the league because teams won't offer contracts to them when they're competing with NBA vets. It completely crashes the international market as well, because you can't "draft-and-stash" talent anymore, so Euros are more likely to stay in Europe now solely based on financials.

It literally benefits like 10 players at most, and teams that are already in advantageous situations, either due to their current talent on the roster or cap space they possess. It hurts the "2nd round rookies", it hurts Euros trying to make it to the NBA, and it hurts small market teams. This doesn't restore parity, it divides it even more

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Big Poppa said:
And if you're saying they wouldnt all sign 4/15, then what would they sign? More than that?!

If its less than that, all those guys i named could still form a superteam here in Chicago
He's implying more

If someone like Andre Roberson can get $30M/3 years and TJ Warren can get $50M/4 years, according to BNC logic someone like Bagley could honestly get a $70M/4 year deal as an unproven 18 year old, and that's ridiculous

Paulius

Reaction score
I mean id be all down for an experiment next season and bagley mpj doncic signing with us lol but shits just not right. Small market bad teams would forever be terrible. Atleast now they get a stud here and there

BNC

Reaction score
Big Poppa said:
So how would you have the salaries then? 1-5 picks get more than 6-10 picks or something? Either way doesnt change the fact that some of them will bust and will be getting paid way too much
I don't think you understand what SVG suggested

BNC

Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
Just another god awful take by BNC
I've been pretty spot on this past month. I have a lot more faith that those who share these opinions know a lot more about these subjects than the people on this board. Besides you still haven't provided any solid arguments against my takes

Paulius

Reaction score
BNC said:
I don't think you understand what SVG suggested
I read nothing on it because its a waste of time except the headline and what youve been saying in here, and by what youre saying in here, it just makes no sense bro

BNC

Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
No, I think you don't fully rationalize it.

First off, teams paying $20M+ annually for an 18 year old with zero NBA experience is just not going to happen. Sure, the top guys would probably get more than the AAV of their draft selection, but that's not the purpose of the draft scale. Its to benefit the lower picked selections and offer them structured guaranteed contracts. It lessens the number of rookies entering in the league because teams won't offer contracts to them when they're competing with NBA vets. It completely crashes the international market as well, because you can't "draft-and-stash" talent anymore, so Euros are more likely to stay in Europe now solely based on financials.

It literally benefits like 10 players at most, and teams that are already in advantageous situations, either due to their current talent on the roster or cap space they possess. It hurts the "2nd round rookies", it hurts Euros trying to make it to the NBA, and it hurts small market teams. This doesn't restore parity, it divides it even more
I don't think it worsens parity at all (though I don't think we should even care about that), the worse teams will have more cap space to sign the rookies than the competing teams will. And yea giving out that money to 18 year olds is a risk that not all teams will be willing to or should take, but when someone like Anthony Davis comes along you offer him all the money you can. The draft and stash isn't a strategy that should even be used now, what benefit does this provide the teams in the league other than as filler for trades? I'm not so sure teams won't sign some of the lesser talented rookies for $1M a year in place of vets, it really depends on where they are in their cycle of team building.

It won't happen because the players union won't support it, but it benefits more than 10 players. It would benefit a lot of teams as well.

Plus, right now we're rewarding incompetence, I think rewarding smart management is how these leagues should be run

BNC

Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
He's implying more

If someone like Andre Roberson can get $30M/3 years and TJ Warren can get $50M/4 years, according to BNC logic someone like Bagley could honestly get a $70M/4 year deal as an unproven 18 year old, and that's ridiculous
I'm not sure teams will be giving Bagley nearly $25M a year, maybe you set the rookie cap at 20%, max it out at 3 years. I'm not sure how it would all work, but it rewards smarter teams rather than forcing the best prospects to go to the most incompetent teams

Paulius

Reaction score
BNC said:
the worse teams will have more cap space to sign the rookies than the competing teams will.
Thats fine, but youre missing bosoxs point on guys creating a Kentucky like superteam.

Next summer big markets like New york, Bulls etc with all the cap they have, what would stop them all to just sign with those two teams and leave the rest hanging?

Thats the main issue

Paulius

Reaction score
I mean shit it doesnt even have to be a big market team, they could all just sign with one team even if its a small market team but theyd create their own Kentucky like team and thats not right

BNC

Reaction score
Big Poppa said:
Thats fine, but youre missing bosoxs point on guys creating a Kentucky like superteam.

Next summer big markets like New york, Bulls etc with all the cap they have, what would stop them all to just sign with those two teams and leave the rest hanging?

Thats the main issue
Knicks have hardly any cap room next year. And you really think teams would lock up 70% of their cap in a few rookies? I doubt it.

And that's a situation that will rarely occur

BNC

Reaction score
Big Poppa said:
I mean shit it doesnt even have to be a big market team, they could all just sign with one team even if its a small market team but theyd create their own Kentucky like team and thats not right
It. Wouldn't. Work. Like. That.

Paulius

Reaction score
BNC said:
Knicks have hardly any cap room next year. And you really think teams would lock up 70% of their cap in a few rookies? I doubt it.

And that's a situation that will rarely occur
Yea forgot Knicks are dumb but thats beyond the point, and yea if youre saying a guy like Anthony Davis is a no brainer to give him all the money, the next draft has potentially 3 stars, so why wouldnt they invest in them?

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
BNC said:
It. Wouldn't. Work. Like. That.
How can you say it wouldn't work like that when Miami in 2010 literally did that for established superstars on top contracts?

If the Heat could sign Wade, James, and Bosh to near-max contracts, why couldn't the Bulls clear house and sign the top 5 rookies? And due to bird rights, they could have a superteam for 10+ years

Paulius

Reaction score
Exactly, so instead of having a 3 or so year rebuild and waiting on the next stud in the next few drafts, bulls could kill 3 birds with one stone and sign Porter Bagley Doncic. Wouldnt be fair at all, even tho id love it

BNC

Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
How can you say it wouldn't work like that when Miami in 2010 literally did that for established superstars on top contracts?

If the Heat could sign Wade, James, and Bosh to near-max contracts, why couldn't the Bulls clear house and sign the top 5 rookies? And due to bird rights, they could have a superteam for 10+ years
1. It's a bit easier to pay those kinds of contracts to established stars (image wise)
2. Pretty sure there was some shady stuff going on in regards to those 3, and Wade probably passed the info along to Pat that something like this could happen.
3. Heat still had to use a sign and trade for both Bosh and James.

You really think a team is going to risk the entire future on several unproven players? They likely wouldn't keep it together too long, those repeaters taxes will get ridiculously expensive. 

If you're that worried about it put something into place similar to the DPVE where a team can only offer one rookie max contract

Paulius

Reaction score
Ok that last part sparked something

If a team would only be able to sign one rookie from the projected first round and one rookie from the second round, that would be more fair imo

That would put teams at risk at knowing who to sign, instead of just signing all top 3 picks.

That idea would be interesting and fun imo

They could also do something like trading your rights of a pick, and then a team could be able to sign two guys. Idk just an idea, that wouldnt allow all top guys go go one team

Delirium

Super Legend
Reaction score
Also factor in how giving the player the ability to choose will inevitably screw over a team just because the player doesn't want to play there. It's hard enough for irrelevant teams to become relevant, even with the ability to draft the players they want. Now you want these rookies to get off their pedestal and go play for a bottom feeder just because they give them a big contract? It'll be like college. The top teams will get the top players.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%