2017-2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
AE. said:
Red Sox are fucking dumb. So needy on offense and they decline a trade for a guy who has a power stroke JBJ can only wet dream of. I dont get the obsession with JBJs defense. Hes great in the field but he cant fucking hit. They also dont need JBJ in the OF as much as they need another power bat in the order.

And all this talk about Puigs attitude... Hanley Ramirez is the same guy. And speaking of Hanley, consider what they Dodgers got out of Puig & Hanley in he same lineup.
Puig is worse than Hanley. Besides, Hanley is limited. We can always DH him if he's a headcase or limit his at bats. You can't do that with both guys.

JBJ had a pretty bad year hitting, but he can hit. He's just not very consistent. But he was an All Star in 2016. If I also recall, Puig has also been shaky as a hitter in past years.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
Puig is worse than Hanley. Besides, Hanley is limited. We can always DH him if he's a headcase or limit his at bats. You can't do that with both guys.

JBJ had a pretty bad year hitting, but he can hit. He's just not very consistent. But he was an All Star in 2016. If I also recall, Puig has also been shaky as a hitter in past years.

JBJ turns 28 in April and we've seen enough to know 2016 was a fluke season for him at the plate. He's got a great glove and can throw seeds from deep CF, but that hasn't been enough to put Boston beyond the ALDS. Puig hit 28 homers last season and the Dodgers still haven't consistently put him in the lineup. I get some of that is one him, but there's no debate his bat is above that of Bradley's. 

Puig is a fucking madman but when has that stopped Boston in this past? Some fans all over social media acting like Puig doesn't meet the Red Sox' high character standards. Pedroia is an asshole, Price is a headcase, and Hanley is a big child. IMO Puig fits right in.

You're in for another season of JBJ's web gems, while batting 8th, and hoping to score enough runs via Hanley & Moreland doubles.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
AE. said:

JBJ turns 28 in April and we've seen enough to know 2016 was a fluke season for him at the plate. He's got a great glove and can throw seeds from deep CF, but that hasn't been enough to put Boston beyond the ALDS. Puig hit 28 homers last season and the Dodgers still haven't consistently put him in the lineup. I get some of that is one him, but there's no debate his bat is above that of Bradley's. 

Puig is a fucking madman but when has that stopped Boston in this past? Some fans all over social media acting like Puig doesn't meet the Red Sox' high character standards. Pedroia is an asshole, Price is a headcase, and Hanley is a big child. IMO Puig fits right in.

You're in for another season of JBJ's web gems, while batting 8th, and hoping to score enough runs via Hanley & Moreland doubles.
I'd rather take the sure talent over the sure headcase.  Honestly, Puig is worse than any of those guys you mention.  He's destroyed the media in LA, and if he comes to Boston, it will be ten times worse.  There's no guarantee he'll thrive here either- he's had a lot of off years for the Dodgers just because of his attitude alone.

JBJ is nothing special at the plate, but he did have a big streak in 2016 that shows he has the ability to hit consistently.  Just has to put at-bats together, but I'd rather take the better outfielder, the less of a headcase and hopeful hitter.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Both of you have good points and bad points

Puig would likely be a nightmare in Boston. Like it was said earlier, he looks like '17 Hanley and I don't want him starting in LF nearly every game
But at the same time, you know what you're getting out of JBJ. Fantastic defense, but minimal offensive production. Should be a better baserunner than he is, and he'll have stretches where he barely hits .200

Overall I'd probably decline the deal, but for the main reason that it makes Boston's offense even more right-handed. Our projected 2018 lineup has 4 lefties, and this would make it a 3L/6R breakdown with a Puig/JBJ swap. And those 3 lefties would be Moreland (who can't hit anything other than singles or doubles), Benintendi (can't see him getting 30+ any time soon), and a 19 year old Devers (who you shouldn't be relying on as your source of lefty power)

If it were to me, I'd go for Moustaskas on a 1-2 year deal and get Devers off of 3B, who was not good there defensively. Put him at first, put him at DH, I don't care, but he's not a good defensively at 3B and will need to be moved eventually. And MM can provide a much better bat than Puig can

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
Both of you have good points and bad points

Puig would likely be a nightmare in Boston. Like it was said earlier, he looks like '17 Hanley and I don't want him starting in LF nearly every game
But at the same time, you know what you're getting out of JBJ. Fantastic defense, but minimal offensive production. Should be a better baserunner than he is, and he'll have stretches where he barely hits .200

Overall I'd probably decline the deal, but for the main reason that it makes Boston's offense even more right-handed. Our projected 2018 lineup has 4 lefties, and this would make it a 3L/6R breakdown with a Puig/JBJ swap. And those 3 lefties would be Moreland (who can't hit anything other than singles or doubles), Benintendi (can't see him getting 30+ any time soon), and a 19 year old Devers (who you shouldn't be relying on as your source of lefty power)

If it were to me, I'd go for Moustaskas on a 1-2 year deal and get Devers off of 3B, who was not good there defensively. Put him at first, put him at DH, I don't care, but he's not a good defensively at 3B and will need to be moved eventually. And MM can provide a much better bat than Puig can
Probably the most reasonable take from a Sox fan Ive heard all offseason. Moose wouldnt be a bad add and likely at a bargain deal compared to what Hosmer is going to land.

Ill stick to my opinion the Puig Trade would be worth the risk. Youve already seen the best baseball JBJ will ever play and like I said, it wasnt good enough. JBJ wasnt projected be a great hitter as a prospect and a flash in the pan aside, hes pretty bad.

And who cares about the media? David Price picked a fight with the media the minute he showed up.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
AE. said:
Probably the most reasonable take from a Sox fan Ive heard all offseason. Moose wouldnt be a bad add and likely at a bargain deal compared to what Hosmer is going to land.

Ill stick to my opinion the Puig Trade would be worth the risk. Youve already seen the best baseball JBJ will ever play and like I said, it wasnt good enough. JBJ wasnt projected be a great hitter as a prospect and a flash in the pan aside, hes pretty bad.

And who cares about the media? David Price picked a fight with the media the minute he showed up.
Puig and Price are two completely different animals when it comes to the media. Price can bash the media all he wants, but he doesn't take it to the field. Puig does.

Price also acknowledges when he's failed. I have never seen Puig once call himself out when he makes a mistake.

I would be fine with Moustakas, but don't think her be a major impact for us. Might be better than any other option out there though.

And honestly, I still hold a little faith in JBJ.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't get it. But then again, Red Sox fans have a long history of falling in love with players. The Nomar trade ultimately secured the 2004 title and I know a lot of Sox fans still pissed about it.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
AE. said:
I don't get it. But then again, Red Sox fans have a long history of falling in love with players. The Nomar trade ultimately secured the 2004 title and I know a lot of Sox fans still pissed about it.
I completely see your point, I just don't think Puig is a good fit.  I wouldn't take a risk on the certainties we're losing for a player who has a proven record of headcases season by season.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
"Mets nearly traded for Kipnis, but it was "killed by someone at the top"

brett05

Reaction score
Miguel Gonzlez signed for one year to the White Sox.  Great deal for the team to hold the team until Rodon comes back.  Great clubhouse guy, innings eater, understands the team's goals, and realizes he's likely flipped for a spec at the deadline.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/952361927841267712

Why

CoachAF

Reaction score
Father Pugzo said:
dont h8 the gr8
Hes a first ballot HoFer but he has his warts. The media wont admit it, but it does warrant mentioning every now and then. I just saw that tweet and chuckled a bit. Thought Id share

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Well Boras is looking to get him into the $200 mil range lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%