2017-2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

catman

Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
"Mets will 'at least consider' signing 1B Adrian Gonzalez."

They are, in the words of an MLB Network guest, assembling the best "Old-timers" roster in the history of baseball.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
.ptt81 said:
Plus we all forget that Mookie had a down year for his standards at the plate and Bogaerts was injured for half the year. Plus Benintendi and Devers will be a lot better. We gotta count on a lot of internal improvement.

There's a lot of budding power in the lineup with Benny & Devers. I absolutely love Benny's swing & in a short period of time, Devers showed an ability to hit big in clutch spots. The more I think about it, the more its being over-hyped they haven't brought in a bigger bat. If I'm Dombrowski, I'm telling Scott Boras to go pound sand. Bring back Nunez, think about taking a flyer on Bautista or Melky as the part-time DH/4th OF type, and make a serious run at Lance Lynn.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
.ptt81 said:
Plus we all forget that Mookie had a down year for his standards at the plate and Bogaerts was injured for half the year. Plus Benintendi and Devers will be a lot better. We gotta count on a lot of internal improvement.
I'm not so sure it was a down year for Mookie. 2016 was one of his better years, but 2017 was more in line with his 2015 year.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Yankees pushing to get Gerrit Cole.

And my team continues to sit around with their thumbs up their asses.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
Sorry man. Mets won’t be shit until the Wilpons are run out of ownership.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
youre a dodger fan now? Lol

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Mets bring back Omar Minaya to be a special assistant to Sandy Alderson.

WHAT THE FUCK ARE THEY DOING.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
"Hot Stove" has been shit thus far this winter. I thought for sure we'd see a run on FA's after Stanton and Ohtani were done. More trade speculation that anything else. Thinking this is a product of Scott Boras clients and their unreasonable demands cogging the market.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
AE. said:
"Hot Stove" has been shit thus far this winter. I thought for sure we'd see a run on FA's after Stanton and Ohtani were done. More trade speculation that anything else. Thinking this is a product of Scott Boras clients and their unreasonable demands cogging the market.
I think you're right.  Since his big year, Boras hasn't exactly been in the winning end on all of his deals.

catman

Reaction score
Boras always gets his clients signed, sometimes at a bit lower AAV than he might have wanted initially.  He will find his clients jobs and at a reasonable AAV.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
catman said:
Boras always gets his clients signed, sometimes at a bit lower AAV than he might have wanted initially.  He will find his clients jobs and at a reasonable AAV.

Might finally be the offseason Boras's clients collectively lose. Like I said, many teams are turning to the trade market to address their biggest needs.  

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
AE. said:
FA compensation. Teams would be knocking on the doors for Cain and Hosmer if there was no risk of losing draft picks.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
FA compensation. Teams would be knocking on the doors for Cain and Hosmer if there was no risk of losing draft picks.
New, more Complicated QO system doesn’t require teams to surrender their highest draft pick anymore. Phillies surrender a 2nd round pick for the Santana deal but they gladly do it. Santana is a bargain deal when hedged against what Hosmer is asking for.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
AE. said:
New, more Complicated QO system doesnt require teams to surrender their highest draft pick anymore. Phillies surrender a 2nd round pick for the Santana deal but they gladly do it. Santana is a bargain deal when hedged against what Hosmer is asking for.
I don't think 20 million a seaon was a bargain, it's an overpay.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
I don't think 20 million a seaon was a bargain, it's an overpay.

When you put it like that, yes, overpaid. What notable pro athlete isn't overpaid? 

3-years of a 31-year old, switch hitter with some power at $20M beats the hell out of Hosmer at 5-7 years and the $22-25M he's commanding.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
AE. said:

When you put it like that, yes, overpaid. What notable pro athlete isn't overpaid? 

3-years of a 31-year old, switch hitter with some power at $20M beats the hell out of Hosmer at 5-7 years and the $22-25M he's commanding.
Hosmer is 27 years old with a career .284 BA  .342 OBP, probably hit around 20 homeruns a season at $22 to $25 million.

Carlos Santana is 31 years old with a career .249 BA, .365 OBP, will hit around 20 homeruns, maybe more at $20 million.

Santana does look slightly better in everything but batting average, but Hosmer is younger.  I'll give you this one, he is cheaper than Hosmer, but still an overpay IMO.  I could see $15 million a season.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
Hosmer is 27 years old with a career .284 BA  .342 OBP, probably hit around 20 homeruns a season at $22 to $25 million.

Carlos Santana is 31 years old with a career .249 BA, .365 OBP, will hit around 20 homeruns, maybe more at $20 million.

Santana does look slightly better in everything but batting average, but Hosmer is younger.  I'll give you this one, he is cheaper than Hosmer, but still an overpay IMO.  I could see $15 million a season.
The more I think about it, the true bargain is Yonder Alonso at 2/$18M

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
AE. said:
New, more Complicated QO system doesnt require teams to surrender their highest draft pick anymore. Phillies surrender a 2nd round pick for the Santana deal but they gladly do it. Santana is a bargain deal when hedged against what Hosmer is asking for.
Yea I know they don't lose the highest, but teams don't want to lose any of those picks in the first 3 or 4 rounds

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
Yea I know they don't lose the highest, but teams don't want to lose any of those picks in the first 3 or 4 rounds

The big markets could care less about losing 2nd & 3rd highest draft picks, but the market isn't great this offseason and Scott Boras clients make up most of it. Also keep in mind teams are trying to stay poised to make major plays next offseason. 

If I were a player like Lo Cain, I'd take a 1-year deal on a team with a strong lineup, try to pad my stats, and try again next year.  Try again next year when all the big markets come with an open checkbook.  They all can't sign Bryce Harper at once.  Someone will have to opt for the consolation prize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%