2016 NFL Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm pulling for rg3 harder than any player I've ever pulled for.

And he signed with my favorite team!

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Not much is going to be different with RGIII. He's at his best when you let him run but he's not durable enough to run. The guy will make some dynamic plays but end up injured all the damn time. And lets not kid ourselves about his potential to be a drop-back passer.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
AE. said:
Not much is going to be different with RGIII. He's at his best when you let him run but he's not durable enough to run. The guy will make some dynamic plays but end up injured all the damn time. And lets not kid ourselves about his potential to be a drop-back passer.
do you watch rg3, or just look at highlights

He is absolutely a drop back passer. He reads fairly well, and has good accuracy while in the pocket. He's also crazy explosive as a runner (when healthy), where he gets out of the pocket and starts to run (which makes his pocket passing more dangerous). When Jay came in, he wanted less runs from RG3. More throw-on-the-runs (which he isn't good at) and more pocket passing, but far less run opportunities. And because he wasn't a running threat anymore, his pocket condensed and he became a much worse passer, like every quarterback with pressure in his face

He's gonna have a great offensive lineman, a studly running back in Duke to run the read option with, and if Hue lets him run then Griffin will be really good imo

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
And Barnidge is probably the greatest TE who ever lived, people forget that

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
do you watch rg3, or just look at highlights

He is absolutely a drop back passer. He reads fairly well, and has good accuracy while in the pocket. He's also crazy explosive as a runner (when healthy), where he gets out of the pocket and starts to run (which makes his pocket passing more dangerous). When Jay came in, he wanted less runs from RG3. More throw-on-the-runs (which he isn't good at) and more pocket passing, but far less run opportunities. And because he wasn't a running threat anymore, his pocket condensed and he became a much worse passer, like every quarterback with pressure in his face

He's gonna have a great offensive lineman, a studly running back in Duke to run the read option with, and if Hue lets him run then Griffin will be really good imo

Its been a while but yeah, I watched plenty of him. Major networks were all over his ass when he came out of Baylor. When Jay came in he said it would be "foolish" to make Griffin a pocket passer and was going to let him use his legs. It didn't work out b/c Jay found the guy he wanted in Cousins. If Cousins wasn't there, I'm convinced Jay would have altered the playbook more to fit Griffin. 

And where have we seen RGIII in the NFL see any success staying in the pocket? Not all QBs are wretched in the pocket with pressure. Hell, that's what makes or break QBs at this level. Reading defenses, making adjustments at the LOS, solid reads and quick releases. RGIII does none of the above. Time to let the Baylor highlight reels go fellas.

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Texans handed Brock Osweiler $37 million without meeting with him

This makes his $72 million contract even more risky.

The Houston Texans made a couple of big splashes in free agency this offseason, headlined by the signing of quarterback Brock Osweiler. The Texans gave him a four-year, $72 million contract with $37 million in guaranteed money. It was a surprising move met with some skepticism, but the story behind the deal is even more shocking.

Unlike most other employers in the U.S., the Texans never met with their prospective new employee before "hiring" him. Peter King of MMQB talked to head coach Bill O'Brien about how the deal happened, and not once did O'Brien or owner Bob McNair meet Osweiler in person before handing him $37 million.

In fact, the only time O'Brien had met his quarterback was when Osweiler was still with the Broncos -- a mere 10-second interaction.

Until Osweiler signed with the Texans on March 9, that 10-second niblet of time was the extent of the personal interaction between the quarterback and the three men most important to his success in Houston. The owner, Bob McNair, agreed to guarantee $37 million to Osweiler without ever meeting him. The head coach, O’Brien, never got to speak to Osweiler during the free-agency period, to look him in the eye and find out if he was the man O’Brien wanted to build his offense around.

Offensive coordinator George Godsey didn't sit down with Osweiler, either. That's hard to believe, to say the least ... but it's true. Osweiler was unproven as it was, having started just seven games in four years. If there was one player to meet with before handing him the keys to the franchise, it was Osweiler. 

The Texans' lack of communication with the quarterback might be the NFL's fault, however. O'Brien isn't a fan of the way the league's free agency process works -- with there being only a "legal tampering" period and no time for free agents to actually visit teams before signing.

"There really should be a period where, say a week before free agency, a guy can make some trips," O'Brien said. "Without that, you have to find a way to research guys, but without seeing him and talking to him face to face, there's always going to be something missing."

It's a simple change the NFL can make to help avoid situations like this one. And O'Brien certainly wouldn't be the only one in support of a new rule. Just about every team would love to see the league make an amendment to the way free agency works.

Wow lol

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't think not meeting with him is the mistake here. Sitting down and having a conversation with him isn't going to make a huge difference on ones opinion of him as a QB.

However, it was a mistake to give him that much money anyway 

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If RG3 plays well next year, I'm coming back to this thread and shitting on everyone so hard I'll probably get banned.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
I still think RG3 can play well

Jay Gruden just didn't like using a mobile QB; he wanted a pocket passer with athleticism (which RG3 isn't)

Cousins fit Gruden's profile better, but I think RG3 can succeed in a good system

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
i've got him as an early mvp favorite

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Potroast, let's freaking go.

Easley-Knighton-Brown is a low key really good front 3 in the base d. Have Nink and Sheard rush the edge and Collins&Hightower in the inside.

If our OL somehow holds up this season, we might contend with another perfect season potentially.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
I don't see how I am overestimating him

He'll play 30% of snaps. We use a DT rotation between Knighton, Alan Branch, Malcom Brown, and Dom Easley. All are at worst above average DTs, and they'll be fresh for so much of the game now. With such great run support from our DTs and ILBs, we can focus on pure edge rushing and pass coverage from our DBs. Defense looks really good, and the offense is a stable OL away from being amazing

We looked nearly this good before the Knighton signing, but this helps a ton too

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/ESPNCleveland/status/715906505095163904

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%