2014 Prospect Talk Thread

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I was on the Crowell hype train way before you, buddy.  Settle down!

TTN2810

Reaction score
Haha not trying to take your credit dude, I didn't even remember you liked him. Not that I think anyone can "discover" prospects anyways, everyone's gonna watch these guys eventually. But finally got around to watching him, and god damn. I'm trying to remember the last time a back looked this good coming out. I wasn't a Richardson fan, or a Lacy fan (sadly), and I can't recall any other highly touted RB's in the past 5 years. Maybe the best since McFadden way back when? I know he had a ton of hype, but I didn't scout back then, so I'm not even sure TBH. Perhaps Moreno too. IDK. 

TTN2810

Reaction score
Seriously though. From a purely on field evaluation he's a top 12 talent IMO.

Looks to me like he's the next Josh Gordon. He may get overlooked because of his issues, but if he can get passed all that he can tear it up. And if he can't, well oh well, you tried.

EDIT
Really interested to see where he goes.
Christine Michael had problems and went in the 2nd, but Da'Rick Rogers went in the 7th (I think). Could go anywhere really. Have been reading more and more about character issues though, even at Alabama State. :(

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He's lucky the police couldn't prove that stolen gun was his... he could have gotten 10 years in prison.  The serial number was shaved off.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Marcus Mariota
Carlos Hyde
Josh Gordon
Sammy Watkins
Jordan Cameron

I'd be a Browns fan if this happened.

baltimore_boy

Reaction score
I still like Terrence West and David Fluellen as RB sleepers. I'm hoping Fluellen can return to form after his injury last year. Here's my top guys:

QB
1. Blake Bortles
2. Teddy Bridgewater
3. Johnny Manziel
4. David Carr
5. Jimmy Garrapolo

RB
1. Ka'Deem Carey
2. Carlos Hyde
3. Charles Sims
4. Lache Seastrunk
5. David Fluellen? There's no one else that I really like from this year's RB class.

WR
1. Sammy Watkins
2. Marquise Lee
3. Odell Beckham
4. Jordan Matthews
5. Allen Robinson

TE
1. Eric Ebron
2. Jace Amaro
3. Austin Sefarien-Jenkins
4. Troy Niklas
5. Colt Lylera

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Pepe Silvia said:
Marcus Mariota
Carlos Hyde
Josh Gordon
Sammy Watkins
Jordan Cameron

I'd be a Browns fan if this happened.
something would still go terribly wrong.

With our FA signings and 10 draft picks this year to add depth, looks like we feezibly could deal every pick next year for Mariota or SVUs most wanted

VikesRule

Reaction score
Is Jordan Lynch another Tebow or does he have a future in the NFL? He's at least willing to learn a different position. I could see him having success at RB, it seems most teams don't even want to give him a look at QB though.

TTN2810

Reaction score
Still don't get how Bortles can be anyone's #1 QB. I think people are over-extrapolating some nice traits he has and blowing them out of proportion which is clouding his major flaws, which other QB's in this class are getting torn apart for. Just don't get it.

TTN2810

Reaction score
"Remember, we are all looking in a vacuum. Fit/Situational is vital. Post draft thoughts >>>>"

Totally agree with that. Bad situation can ruin a very good player.

VikesRule

Reaction score
TiTAN said:
Too slow to be a RB for a guy his size.
Eh, I guess. I don't know how a guy rushes for 1900 yards, 23 TDs with 6.6 YPC and still be "too slow". Granted, it was against MAC competition, but I still think he deserves a shot, even if it's mostly as a wildcat runner.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Wasn't he asked to work out as a safety at the combine?

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It's a lot different running from the QB position than tailback.

VikesRule

Reaction score
Teagz said:
Wasn't he asked to work out as a safety at the combine?
He worked at both runningback and safety if I recall correctly.

elcheato said:
It's a lot different running from the QB position than tailback.
True, but rushing for nearly 2,000 yards takes at least a little bit of talent as a runningback. I realize he doesn't have great speed for the position but he's not big enough to be a fullback and has never played defense. If NFL teams don't think it's worth even trying to develop him as a passer, then I can only see runningback as a possibility. I mean, look at Julian Edelman, QB at Kent State and now a receiver, that's probably the most similar player in terms of situation to compare to...

TTN2810

Reaction score
You basically just said it all right here: "I realize he doesn't have great speed for the position but he's not big enough to be a fullback and has never played defense." He's too slow for RB, too small for FB, and defense should just absolutely be out of the equation at this stage in his career. Realistically, he just isn't an NFL player.

Edelman isn't a good comparison at all, but even as such I'll comment on it. Edelman has 4.5 NFL speed, whereas Lynch has high 4.7 pedestrian speed. Edelman is also one of the best in the NFL in terms of agility and elusiveness. Lynch has neither attribute.

A much better comparison is Denard Robinson, another college QB switching to RB. Again, big speed/agility/elusiveness difference here as well, but the switch is the same. If a much, much more talented Robinson is struggling to be an NFL RB, why would anyone think Lynch could succeed? Like Cheato said, running from the QB position is a lot different than from the RB position.

VikesRule

Reaction score
TiTAN said:
You basically just said it all right here: "I realize he doesn't have great speed for the position but he's not big enough to be a fullback and has never played defense." He's too slow for RB, too small for FB, and defense should just absolutely be out of the equation at this stage in his career. Realistically, he just isn't an NFL player.

Edelman isn't a good comparison at all, but even as such I'll comment on it. Edelman has 4.5 NFL speed, whereas Lynch has high 4.7 pedestrian speed. Edelman is also one of the best in the NFL in terms of agility and elusiveness. Lynch has neither attribute.

A much better comparison is Denard Robinson, another college QB switching to RB. Again, big speed/agility/elusiveness difference here as well, but the switch is the same. If a much, much more talented Robinson is struggling to be an NFL RB, why would anyone think Lynch could succeed? Like Cheato said, running from the QB position is a lot different than from the RB position.
Good points all around. I guess I'm biased cause I've been a fan of his. I don't think the speed difference is quite as big as it looks on paper (between Edelman and Lynch, that is), but I do agree that Edelman (and Denard Robinson) are much better with agility/elusiveness. I suppose only time will tell how he turns out.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Jules played KR at Kent State, and was a run-1st guy. He couldn't throw the ball at all.

Edelman has crazy agility, which is why he can play ST, defense back, and receiver fairly well. He's a super intelligent player, who works his ass off. It took him an entire contract+ to be recognized. He was let go from Giants TC, and signed for a minimum contract in NE. Then he became known only after that.

Jules is a terrible comparison for Lynch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%