2014 Prospect Talk Thread

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Johnny Football reportedly scored the highest of all the quarterback prospects on the Wonderlic. 

TTN2810

Reaction score
Mettenberger 30, Bortles 28, Bridgewater 20, in case anyone didn't see them all.

Louis Riddick of ESPN (one of the few respected analysts at ESPN) said this on Twitter today. Been saying this for fucking months. Finally the media knows what it's talking about.
"Tier 2 QB's" looking more like successful NFL projections than "Tier 1" from what I am seeing/hearing.

TTN2810

Reaction score
Also since none of the QB's are elite prospects, any of their draft positions could fluctuate, it really depends on who likes who. It's not hoping "the" QB is there when you pick, it's picking the right flavor, because damn the QB's are a sure diverse group who frankly any one of which can really succeed in the right situation/team/system. I'm having so much trouble ranking them still because of this.

EDIT
One last thing, it's so stupid how some people are talking about Bridgewater's small hands, when Carr's hands are even smaller! It makes no sense. No one is talking about Carr having small hands at all. Clearly just pre-draft BS, but it's hilarious how the media takes it and runs with it.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
I don't do a whole lot of scouting on QBs, but I have to imagine that Aaron Murray is BoB's top QB in this draft

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It's kind of hard to tell who is a "tier 2" QB in this draft when there is no clear consensus.

TTN2810

Reaction score
In general I think the "Tier 1" guys on ESPN and NFL N are Teddy, Manziel, Bortles and Carr, and thus what that quote is talking about.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You can have your unique opinions on certain players like Mettenberger, and proclaim he's the best QB, that's fine. Everyone looks at players differently and like to think they can spot steals. But it's foolish to say "the media finally knows what it's talking about" because they agreed with one of your opinions.

TTN2810

Reaction score
I meant it in a way as they are finally thinking for themselves and not riding the sheep train of "the big 4 > everyone". Not because he agrees with me. I don't care if he likes Mett or Savage or whoever, I'm just glad he realizes that "top tier" isn't the be all end all, because really they are all a pretty big risk except for Teddy.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Teddy is a risky pick too. I don't think he has it between the ears.

TTN2810

Reaction score
That's true as well. Even the safest one of the group isn't safe. 

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The argument could be made that no draft pick is "safe"

TTN2810

Reaction score
Andrew Luck was safe as fuck lol. I don't mean to compare these QB's to Luck, but there are safe prospects, and overall some guys are safer than others, definitely. Matt Ryan was the same. Even if he didn't boom, he wouldn't bust. It's about weighing substance vs potential. Right now in that 1st tier, it's pretty much all about potential, hence why they are viewed as risks/not safe.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Aaron Curry was widely considered to be the safest pick in the 2009 draft

TTN2810

Reaction score
And?

We're talking about QB's.

Plus, there's always exceptions to the rule, man. No one has ever denied this.

Also evaluating Bortles is killing me. He has some great tape and some god awful tape. Not sure at this point if his flaws or positives are going to win out, and by how much. I still like a Ryan Tannehill comparison. Both have one similar huge flaw: cannot throw the deep ball. 

Last week I saw a compilation of Tannehill's deep misses to Mike Wallace. Missed about 7 TD's with over/under throws. That amount can be the difference between playoffs and no playoffs for a bubble team like Miami, and a good QB and a great one. You gotta make those TD throws. And they weren't tough throws. Wallace had a cushion of 5+ yards on these. Wide open. And this was just Mike Wallace, not the other WR's. 

Bortles is the same. For every one he hits, he misses 3. Tough to look passed.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I've seen Aaron Donald mocked to the Raiders twice over the past few days.

That buzz is not becoming a thing, is it?

TTN2810

Reaction score
Do you not like Donald? I don't scout DL but people I trust love him. Charting his pressures per snap, he has the highest rate in the draft > Clowney even. Haven't heard a bad thing about his game.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
He's explosive but at 6' you need somebody else to help take away pressure. He's useless if double teamed. Also can't play in a 34

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I've heard Warren Sapp and John Randle comparisons.  The guy is set up for failure right out of the gate if that's the case.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%