2009/2010 MLB Offseason Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Holliday hasnt signed with the Red Sox. Scott Boras isnt stupid. He is going to wait it out and drag it for as long as possible.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
^Thank God. I hope he signs with and NL team.

Gtown81

Luke 23:34
Reaction score
I hope he signs with the Jays, probably won't happen though

Dice-J

Make Animal Cruelty a Felony!
Reaction score
I know someone who heard it on WEEI

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Tribe ships Shoppach to Rays

The Indians shopped catcher Kelly Shoppach and found a taker before the Dec. 12 non-tender deadline.

Shoppach has been traded to the Rays for a player to be named. The player must be determined by Dec. 20.

That the Indians got anything in return for Shoppach is a bit of a surprise, because he was sure to be granted free agency at the non-tender deadline. He made $1.95 million last year, as his performance slipped, and the second round of arbitration would have provided him with a raise that the Indians weren't all that willing to absorb.

Shoppach's arbitration situation is in the Rays' hands now. As for the Tribe, they have Lou Marson, Wyatt Toregas and, to a lesser degree, Chris Gimenez on board to handle the catching duties, with Carlos Santana on the horizon at Triple-A Columbus. It's still possible the Indians would look for a veteran catcher in free agency, but I wouldn't count on it.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
BOSTON -- The Red Sox have a hole at shortstop, and they have casually discussed filling it internally -- with second baseman Dustin Pedroia.

ESPN.com reported on Tuesday morning that the team has asked Pedroia, a Gold Glove Award winner at second base, if he could play shortstop for the team if needed next season.

Though it is still a big if at this point, the 2008 American League Most Valuable Player said he would be all for it.

"They've asked me if I think I could play shortstop," Pedroia told ESPN's Peter Gammons. "They've put it out there, and I've told them I'm all for it. I can do it. I can't wait for [Terry Francona] to call me and ask, 'Can you do it?' I can do it. I really want to do it."

However, Pedroia moving to shortstop is only one of many alternatives -- and perhaps one of the least likely -- the Red Sox have when it comes to constructing their roster for 2010.

Source: mlb.com
If you dont like Dustin Pedroia your a <Censored>. Great job by him stepping up and saying he would play shortstop cuz they are reallying lacking that position for a very long time since prolly Orlando Cabrera. Heres a trade suggestion: Jose Reyes for Jacoby Ellsbury and Clay Bucholz? Maybe a little too much the Red Sox are giving, but hey it would really help both teams.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
it's official, Dodgers are screwed.

Not offering arb to any FA's. are you kidding me?

ugh. yeah like Hudson and Wolf would really accept. SMFH

now Martin/Bills/Loney/Kemp/Ethier/Broxton/Kuo are all due raises.
We'll probably sell them off like a tiny market team

this ownership divorce is going to murder us.
:emo:

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
now Martin/Bills/Loney/Kemp/Ethier/Broxton/Kuo are all due raises.
We'll probably sell them off like a tiny market team
this ownership divorce is going to murder us.
:emo:
Russell Martin, to Canada? lol.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
id rather be an indians fan than a dodger fan right now
If you're already sick without the Dodgers trading away talent, I don't think you would lol.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
but you guys got Carlos Santana

dammit. read this about the dodgers arb
this move makes NO SENSE other than this: McCourt is broke as hell and doesn't want to spend money on the farm next year....which he hasn't been doing at all to this point.

2010 is going to be this teams last chance. I dont see McCout paying to hold on to the core...then when they play elsewhere we'll have no talent to replace them. Ned will have to fish in the dumpster for old retiring players

The dodgers will be like the Giants minus the new young talent the Giants invested in

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
but you guys got Carlos Santana

dammit. read this about the dodgers arb
:eek: good luck with that. That Blake trade looks really dumb right now lol, it has looked dumb since the start for the Dodgers imo

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
yeah it has

we would have been fine with Nomar, but he was always hurt

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
People around the Indians talk about Santana like he's a sure fire all-star. Probably would only see him this year if we were to suck badly... Unless he turns some heads in spring training showing great improvement on calling games.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Billy Wagner signed with the Braves today. The Red Sox get a 2nd round draft pick because Wagner was a type A Free Agent. Braves signed him to a 1 year deal worth 7 million. The move was made due to the fact that they are going to lose relievers Mike Gonzalez and Rafael Soriano and needed to fill that void.

-FPS

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
i still cant believe the dodgers didnt offer Wolf arb

or anyone for that matter.
our owner is broke and doesnt want to pay for draft picks.

i expect us to sign a Type A FA so we lose picks

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
OAKLAND -- The A's on Tuesday offered arbitration to free-agent right-hander Justin Duchscherer, a formality that ensures the team will receive a compensatory pick in the 2010 First-Year Player Draft should Duchscherer sign with another team.

Duchscherer, 32, made a reported $3.9 million from the A's in 2009 despite missing the season with shoulder and back injuries and a bout with clinical depression.

Because he is ranked as a Type B free agent -- rankings are based on a player's performance over the previous two seasons -- the A's will receive a sandwich pick between the first and second rounds of the Draft next June if Duchscherer declines the arbitration offer by 11:59 p.m. ET on Monday and ends up signing elsewhere.

It's highly unlikely that Duchscherer, a two-time All-Star who made the American League team as a reliever in 2005 and as a starter in 2008, will accept Oakland's offer because he'd run the risk of taking a pay cut. In arbitration, the A's can propose up to a 20-percent decrease on his 2009 salary.

Duchscherer, whose agent has been contacted by several teams (including the A's), likely will get a raise on the open market, but given his injury history -- his 2007 and 2008 seasons were cut short by hip injuries that required surgery -- he'll probably have to accept a contract that features incentive clauses based on how much he pitches.

None of Oakland's other free agents -- righty Brett Tomko and infielders Nomar Garciaparra, Bobby Crosby and Adam Kennedy -- are ranked, so the A's needn't offer them arbitration. Kennedy is the only one among them in whom Oakland has much interest in bringing back.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
BTW, there's talk of us bringing back Mark Mulder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%