WE GOT TURNER FOR DG

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
BwareDWare94 said:
The Pacers won the trade deadline, but mostly because of the names involved. I'm not sure if they even got any better.
This. And it may mess with the team chemistry.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
that lockeroom is too strong for it to mess with the chemistry.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much the locker room has to do with it, I'm talking about the play on the court. Indy may be one of the few TEAMS actually in the league. They play off of each other. I can see Turner, a guy who needs the ball to be effective and plays zero defense, messing with that on court chemistry.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
coming off the bench and needing the ball will work in his favor, i think. they can send him out there and he can handle all three wing spots. send him off the bench and let him score.

he seems to be a smart kid too, he should be able to pick up their plays. i can see where the questions come from though. theyre arguably the best team in the league and made a fairly significant trade.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
coming off the bench and needing the ball will work in his favor, i think. they can send him out there and he can handle all three wing spots. send him off the bench and let him score.

he seems to be a smart kid too, he should be able to pick up their plays. i can see where the questions come from though. theyre arguably the best team in the league and made a fairly significant trade.
I think those are all fair points. To play devils advocate though. Indiana already plays their swings a lot of minutes. The only playoff team in the East who play their wings more is Chicago, and like I said earlier are you taking minutes away from George or Stephenson to get Turner more minutes? Maybe early in the season, but not now, and definitely not come playoff time.

And you say give him off the ball and let him score, but that's what Philly did and was it really working? His per game averages look nice, but that's because he was playing a lot of minutes and getting up a lot of shots. He was inefficient, he's a turnover machine, and while people make a big deal about his passing skills his assist rate was only average for a swing. So maybe he comes off the bench and gets you 12 a game, but if he's taking 10 shots and turning the ball over a couple times, coupled with his horrific defense, how much is that really helping you?

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
his assist total may not be high but that doesn't mean he's an unwilling or bad passer. he'll have better players around him to help with his assist rate.

ive already said that this seems like a good trade but it's really =/=, i think it's a safety net for this offseason.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I feel like this thread should be archived.  We've got an all-timer here, folks.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
nolafan33 said:
I'm not sure how I feel about this trade to be honest.

I know his raw stats are impressive, but I don't think Turner is that big of an impact player. He doesn't really do anything well. I mean you can't isolate him, you can't run him off of screens, he's ineffective in transition, he doesn't space the floor in anyway. The only thing he really does well is use ball screens, and how often will you take the ball out of Paul George, Lance Stephenson, George Hill, etc to give Turner the ball? And people talk about his ball handling and play making abilities, but even those are kind of meh. He is kind of a turnover machine and his assist rate isn't very good, and is even worse when you consider his usage rate.

And that's just his offense. His defense is in the bottom 12% of the entire league. James Harden isn't even Evan Turner bad, for example. For a team like Indiana, that's a scary proposition. Vogel has a history of not playing guys who don't play defense. This isn't them picking up Bynum after he was cut, they made the move for him and will he get the touches he needs to be effective? Doubt it.

And then there is the contract aspect of it. Turner has a 8.7M QO, but until he signs that QO, signs a new deal, or signs an offer sheet he has a cap hold of 13.4M (max contract). I'm not sure if Lance Stephenson will get either of those numbers, and Turner's cap hold or QO could impact the Pacers ability to sign Stephenson.
*pats self on back*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%