Report: Monta Ellis for Andre Iguodala trade discussed

Status
Not open for further replies.

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Philadelphia and Golden State are two franchises looking to shake things up, and this trade would certainly do that.

According to Ric Bucher at ESPN, Golden State and Philadelphia have discussed a Monta Ellis for Andre Iguodala trade. He adds that this deal is not close to completion but is being discussed.

They could be swapped straight up — Ellis has three years, $33 million left, Iguodala three years $42.3 million — but it wouldn’t be surprising to see other players added in.

This trade makes real sense on the court for Golden State, if they are willing to take on the extra salary. It solves the backcourt uncomfortableness that has been the marriage of Stephen Curry and Ellis. It gives the defensively challenged Warriors a guy who can board and is a quality perimeter defender. The Warriors still want to run and Iggy can finish in transition like a beast.

For Philadelphia, not sure I love the fit, but there is merit. They needed some backcourt scoring punch and someone who can create his own shot, and Ellis is one of the best at that in the league (24.1 points per game last season). But this would make the starting back court Jrue Holiday, Ellis and now Evan Turner — is that a good defensive lineup? It is a bit undersized in the physical East? Turner plays almost as a two, which makes me wonder how he fits with Ellis. But, Philly would save nearly $10 million over three years as part of this and would upgrade their tattoo quotient.

It’s a long way from happening, but of all the crazy rumors that will be flying about before the draft in a couple of weeks, this one makes some sense.
Interesting.

DC4

#TeamHeat
Reaction score
Woah, I wouldnt like this at all.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Yeah this is old news. Makes sense for both teams I guess.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Why not? They have no go-to scorer and Turner and Iggy play the same position.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Gives us a scoring punch..but Monta would have to learn to play off the ball a bit.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Why not? They have no go-to scorer and Turner and Iggy play the same position.
Well lets start to the fact that Iggys name has been connected to a big all along. That has been Philly's intentions, trade Iggy for a young, big, defensive minded C. So trading for a young, small, offensive minded SG seems like a step back to me.

Then the size factor, you already undersized as it is, front court and back court, so why take on a 6'3 SG?

Size leads to defense, defense wins ballgames. Philly's D would really suffer.

I'm also not sold on Turner as a SF.

If you want an undersized scoring 2, just move Lou to SG.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Lou possesses nowhere near the talent of Monta. That's been our problem putting points on the board. He'd likely guard the opposing team's 1 and Jrue could guard the 2 since he's around 6'4 to 6'5 in shoes. But I'd prefer some bigs for iggy.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Yeah but the best big Philly could get for Iggy is Al Jefferson, and he's not a defensive guy either.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
ET is a SG, not a SF. Iggy can play both.

I'd prefer keeping Ellis if I were Golden State, he is a scoring machine. I haven't seen Iggy go off on scoring for quite some time. No maybe they don't want him to score, but I don't know who would fill the void that Ellis would leave.

Doesn't make sense for Philly either cause if ET is supposed to be their future, Ellis would likely get the nod and ET would go back to the bench.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Yes Turner is a SG, it doesn't mean they don't play the same position though. A point forward type of player, and I'm sure Turner would be just fine playing at SF. They aren't going to be able to both shine on the same team, and they aren't gonna trade Turner.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Did you not see iggy during the 5th game of our heat series DJT..he literally went off for a period in the 4th?

He's never gonna be a consistent guy to do that but he spazzed for a bit that game

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
From what I've heard Philly views Turner as a three.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
After thinking about it..I wanna do this deal. We need a scorer. We need to move lou though to do this.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Wouldn't bringing in Ellis just keep ET on the bench even more though?

I agree that Iggy should be traded, but to the Warriors i'm not sure about.

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Wouldn't bringing in Ellis just keep ET on the bench even more though?

I agree that Iggy should be traded, but to the Warriors i'm not sure about.
no ellis is a sg. and Evan Turner can be moved to SF. I think this would be a great deal for the 76ers

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Plus it gives them a shooter meaning they don't have to start Meeks anymore.

Reaction score
In my opinion it's a great deal for both teams. Philly gets rid of Iggy, who is a great player, but is crowding Evan Turner. Also, the Warriors are able to give Monta Ellis away for a great price. Many people are expecting them to settle for him, but they let Stephen Curry run the team, and bring in another guy who can hit big shots and play defense. Should be a good trade for both teams if it happens.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I heard the Hornets were close to making a deal with Golden State that would have sent Peja and Thornton to Golden State for Ellis before we shipped Peja to Toronto for Jarrett Jack, but Golden State backed out at the last minute.

That would have been interesting.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I didn't realize ET was 6'7" he just needs to bulk up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%