MLB Offseason Rumors

Stray32

Reaction score
I'm sure we'll still have threads for individual events but figured we needed a place to post/discuss rumors of signings/trades/hirings. I'll get us started.

Tigers had a great meeting with Soria and are almost certainly going to get one of him or Darren O'Day

Marco Estrada nearing a two-year deal with the Jays that would pay him $24-29 million guaranteed

Aroldis Chapman expected to be traded by the end of the weekend (!!! Tigers please)

Yoenis Cespedes mets with the White Sox (he's at the top of my Tigers wish list)

Senators26

Reaction score
Marco Estrada at 2/26 would be a great deal for him and the Jays. Then there's still money to get another 2-3 starter

BRAAP!

Reaction score
Colby Rasmus and Matt Wieters both accepted the Qualifying Offer.

Ian Kennedy rejected his

BRAAP!

Reaction score
Daniel Murphy rejected his qualifying offer today too

Stray32

Reaction score
Yeah Murphy is about to get paid, cashing in at the perfect time since I don't think his stock will ever be higher

I'm just waiting for the first big bullpen domino to fall (whether it's a FA or a trade of Aroldis or maybe Kimbrel) because I think there's gonna be a big bidding war for the top bullpen arms this year. Closers are in short supply this offseason, I know it'd cost a ton to get Aroldis for the Tigers but honestly wouldn't be upset at how much they gave up basically no matter what if we're able to get him

BRAAP!

Reaction score
Stray32 said:
Yeah Murphy is about to get paid, cashing in at the perfect time since I don't think his stock will ever be higher

I'm just waiting for the first big bullpen domino to fall (whether it's a FA or a trade of Aroldis or maybe Kimbrel) because I think there's gonna be a big bidding war for the top bullpen arms this year. Closers are in short supply this offseason, I know it'd cost a ton to get Aroldis for the Tigers but honestly wouldn't be upset at how much they gave up basically no matter what if we're able to get him
There is nothing worse than seeing bad teams spend money on closers. It's a complete waste.

Stray32

Reaction score
BRAAP! said:
There is nothing worse than seeing bad teams spend money on closers. It's a complete waste.
Agreed, closers are a piece that can be the difference between good and great but will not make the difference between bad and good

BRAAP!

Reaction score
Ian Desmond and Jordan Zimmermann have rejected their qualifying offers

BRAAP!

Reaction score
Stray32 said:
Agreed, closers are a piece that can be the difference between good and great but will not make the difference between bad and good
That's why it makes my brain hurt to hear rumors involving the Diamondbacks and Chapman.

BRAAP!

Reaction score
Brett Anderson accepted his qualifying offer. Very smart move for him as I couldn't imagine seeing any team willing to give up a draft pick to sign the guy

Stray32

Reaction score
Dombrowski trades Red Sox prospects Asuaje, Allen, Guerra and Margot for Kimbrel

Thanks DD, now you get a proven closer

Stray32

Reaction score
The Mets have expressed interest in Jackie Bradley, Jr (OF formerly of the Red Sox) and have reached out to free agent Ben Zobrist to replace Daniel Murphy

The Royals plan to pursue Gerardo Parra if they can't re-sign Alex Gordon

The Yankees plan to target Jeff Samardzija and Wei-Yin Chen

The Cubs plan to announce their own cable network in 2020

catman

Reaction score
If the Royals offer Gordon a reasonable contract, he'll stay there.

CP3MVP

#OrlandoStrong
Reaction score
Would like the Cubs to make a move for Chapman but idk if they can make the best offer.

cavsfan817

You trying to get the pipe?
Reaction score
@Ken_Rosenthal
Sources: David Ortiz will retire at end of 2016 season.

MattMac124

Reaction score
Stray32 said:
Disagree. Having a strong closer, (and also a setupman) can shorten games for you. Look at how the Royals win, get the lead before after 7 and you almost always win. Same thing with the Yanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%