Matt Cassel Traded to Chiefs

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I guess you can see I'll be liking the Chiefs now. With Vrabel and Cassel, Kansas City has become one of my favorite teams not named Patriots in football. Should be interesting to see how LJ and Tony G respond after the deal (like if they wanna stay or still be traded).
You can trade Adrian Peterson, Chet Taylor, and "The Williams Wall" to Kansas City...and I will still only be loyal to 1 NFL Team. "F" the rest.

TheWrestler

Reaction score
Truth be told, his deep ball is Bruce Gradkowski awful. If you watch any of his games last year, you'd realize Moss's frustration. To remedy the problem, Belichick allowed him to throw almost exclusively underneath.

To put it into perspective...

Jeff Garcia's average completion traveled 3.9 yards through the air. 46% of his yardage was accumulated after the receiver had secured the pass.

Cassel's average completion traveled 3.1 yards through the air. Nearly 60% of his yardage was accumulated post-catch.

That's why I feel Cassel will bust anywhere else. He was throwing screens to Wes Welker and jump balls to Randy Moss the entire season. What happens when he has to throw a screen to Dwayne Bowe, or a jump ball to Lee Evans?

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Truth be told, his deep ball is Bruce Gradkowski awful. If you watch any of his games last year, you'd realize Moss's frustration. To remedy the problem, Belichick allowed him to throw almost exclusively underneath.

To put it into perspective...

Jeff Garcia's average completion traveled 3.9 yards through the air. 46% of his yardage was accumulated after the receiver had secured the pass.

Cassel's average completion traveled 3.1 yards through the air. Nearly 60% of his yardage was accumulated post-catch.

That's why I feel Cassel will bust anywhere else. He was throwing screens to Wes Welker and jump balls to Randy Moss the entire season. What happens when he has to throw a screen to Dwayne Bowe, or a jump ball to Lee Evans?
After seeing the careers of several players that left the Belichek's system in New England...I really wouldn't be shocked if what this man is saying turns out to be true.

Dice-J

Make Animal Cruelty a Felony!
Reaction score
You can trade Adrian Peterson, Chet Taylor, and "The Williams Wall" to Kansas City...and I will still only be loyal to 1 NFL Team. "F" the rest.
I'm saying that my favorite team is still the Pats, but I'll be rooting for Vrabel and Cassel, because Vrabel has been one of my fav players, and I've become a huge fan of Cassel over the past season. Not saying I like the whole Chiefs, but I like the team more than I did (which I didn't really like them at all) because they have Cassel and Vrabel. So your saying if they traded AP, you wouldn't be a fan of him anymore?

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm saying that my favorite team is still the Pats, but I'll be rooting for Vrabel and Cassel, because Vrabel has been one of my fav players, and I've become a huge fan of Cassel over the past season. Not saying I like the whole Chiefs, but I like the team more than I did (which I didn't really like them at all) because they have Cassel and Vrabel. So your saying if they traded AP, you wouldn't be a fan of him anymore?
I would be...but not enough to root for another NFL Team.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm in agreement with TheWrestler.. Cassel's stats are extremely inflated because he has Wes Welker, probably the best in the NFL with yards after catch. He catches these short 3 yard gains and extends them to 10 yards like nothing. This is good value for Cassel. I don't know why a team would spend a first round pick on a guy who has started for one year with a great supporting cast of receivers. We'll see how it works in Kansas City.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Who's to say we won't bring that system with us. We have an offensive genius head coach in Todd Haley, and an experienced offensive coordinator in Chan Gailey who is known for being innovative. Plus Pioli brings that "New England mindset"

Who's to say that we won't bring in a system like New England's, or like Arizona's.

CurseReversed04

Reaction score
Apparently the Bucs jumped in with a last minute offer of a 1st and 3rd for Cassel but the trade with KC was already finalized. This is not the same as the hoax trade posted a few days ago, this is different and is true.

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
Apparently the Bucs jumped in with a last minute offer of a 1st and 3rd for Cassel but the trade with KC was already finalized. This is not the same as the hoax trade posted a few days ago, this is different and is true.
Oh thank god.

My heart dropped after that first sentence.

Why get Cassel? We can get Thigpen for much less.

Lake Louise

Reaction score
Still suprised though that Cassel even went anywhere besides New England, but at the same time i`m not. They knew he wouldn`t get playing time with Brady back, but if Brady gets hurt again, they will be kicking themselfs for letting him go.

FSUViking

Reaction score
If you think about it it's all kind of ironic

Bernard Pollard was the one who killed Tom Brady's seaosn last year, which gave Cassell a chance, now he's a Chief
:smile: That is some kind of irony, when you think about it....haha.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Still suprised though that Cassel even went anywhere besides New England, but at the same time i`m not. They knew he wouldn`t get playing time with Brady back, but if Brady gets hurt again, they will be kicking themselfs for letting him go.
I bet Belichick could find himself another "gem". It seems like just about anyone works in his system.

ZigZag

TEH GREAT ZIGGY
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Who's to say we won't bring that system with us. We have an offensive genius head coach in Todd Haley, and an experienced offensive coordinator in Chan Gailey who is known for being innovative. Plus Pioli brings that "New England mindset"

Who's to say that we won't bring in a system like New England's, or like Arizona's.
KC just doesn't have the supporting cast NE had for Cassel. Randy Moss and Wes Welker? Just close your eyes and throw it anywhere and one of them will get the ball.

wade3

The T.O of SI
Reaction score
The Pats are going to regret this trade lol
Watch when Brady plays......

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Pats are going to regret this trade lol
Watch when Brady plays......
Matt Cassel was solid last season...but he couldn't do what Brady does in his wildest dreams.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
KC just doesn't have the supporting cast NE had for Cassel. Randy Moss and Wes Welker? Just close your eyes and throw it anywhere and one of them will get the ball.
We don't.......YET

We have TG who is what I believe the greatest TE of all-time and still VERY productive. Dwayne Bowe, and the rest is up in the air, but that's a nice base. Just need to find a slot receiver.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Lending further credence to the idea that the trade was done in part with an eye toward clearing cap space is the fact that the Lions offered the first pick of the second round (No. 33 overall) straight up for Cassel, according to an NFL source.
lol

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
In all fairness...if Tyler Thigpen can throw for 300 yards with that offense...then Cassel should look like Montana under center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%