Cam Newton's NFL Potential?

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
A lot of speculation brewing that Cam Newton could be "one and done" at Auburn. NFL Talent evaluator Gil Brandt is saying of Cam Newton:
"...I think that if he does come out of school, I don't think there's any question he'll be selected in the first half of the first round (of the draft) unless there is something physically wrong with him."

"He has excellent accuracy...I'm amazed at his accuracy whether it be 10 yards down field or 20 yards down field or more. He's got arm strength.

"There is no question he is physically ready."
This is sparking debates about whether or not Newton does have what it takes to be an effective starting quarterback in the NFL. Gil Brandt makes a lot of good points about Newton's physical skills and raw ability; however, we've seen players with Newton's size and skill set totally flop in the league. Is Cam Newton a different breed? Or is he just another linebacker-sized, big armed, fast, quarterback that won't translate well into the NFL?

Let's say he does come out, where does he fall in this draft? Look at all the quarterback situations in the league, look at the more conventional QB's of this impending draft class...who's in the market for Cam Newton & how good could he be?

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Well I'd like to test his NFL potential in San Francisco...

Dorado

LiveLoveA$AP
Reaction score
Id like to see Killa Cam in the Carolina colors but I dont he'd go 1st overall

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
He reminds me of a lighter skinned JaMarcus Russell.

I wouldn't give him a pick unless it were the later rounds, to much <Censored> has to go right for him to be successful.

Mooche

Reaction score
I am truly on the fence.

I don't love all the NFL hype about him.. I think the kid is an excellent college player, but the NFL hype is kind of insane right now. He isn't better than Andrew Luck based on NFL potential. He is further along than a Tebow though, based on his tools. I am just kind of iffy on his release, his touch all the time, but that can be worked on.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
He needs to learn to make the NFL reads, he's thrown a ton of balls he should have never thrown in college that would get picked in the NFL.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I hope he can translate into a QB in the NFL. Reminds me of Pat White. But much better.

Mooche

Reaction score
I hope he can translate into a QB in the NFL. Reminds me of Pat White. But much better.
He reminds me of a Big Ben slipping away from plays, and he reminds me of a slower Vick with his vision in the running game. Just my opinion, I know, hefty comparisons but that's what I kind of see in him in some cases.

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
He reminds me of Akili Smith.

Smith only played near 11/12 starts his whole college football career (same with Newton) and was way overhyped.

Thats probably his floor.

His celing however is probably early 2000's McNabb.

Hes not as tough as Roethlisberger which is what makes Big Ben, Big Ben.

I also see alot of Vince Young in him. Young, Immature, and looks kinda exactly how Vince did in college. If yall want Akili Smith or Vince Young, then god help your soul. I wish the best for Cam, I just see him being a bust.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It is all about how well he adjusts. Those guys he ran around and through in college, they will magically go from 6'1 230 to 6'3 255 all while running 4.4's and 4.5's instead of something like 4.7's.

Bengals1Fan

Reaction score
If he declares for the draft my guess would be cincy would be retarded enough to take him

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
If he declares for the draft my guess would be cincy would be retarded enough to take him
It's a lose, lose situation either way. If we draft Cam, were in trouble. If we keep Carson, we are in trouble. Especially if the offensive system doesn't change.

Dorado

LiveLoveA$AP
Reaction score
Meh Id be happy with Cam or Luck either of them couldnt be worse than Clausen and Moore.

aj3380

Reaction score
Cam = Vince young

Horrible mechanics and he comes from a spread offense. I have yet to see the guy take a snap from center.

He's a project and needs at least a couple of seasons to learn. There will be a team desperate enough to take him in the first round.

DC4

#TeamHeat
Reaction score
He reminds me of a lighter skinned JaMarcus Russell.

I wouldn't give him a pick unless it were the later rounds, to much <Censored> has to go right for him to be successful.
Agreed, I honestly don't believe this dude is NFL type.

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
He may be the type, just not the skill set.

Like said, you can run a 4.2 40 and still completely suck ass in the NFL, even at KR/WR: Dexter Jackson is a prime example.

If he's taken, he should go to a team like Tennessee where they don't give up on guys easy. If he were to go to the Jets/Skins/Boys, he would fail instantly.

footballplaya52

Solo Dolo
Reaction score
we should bring him in to learn from vick, and take over for kolbs garbage ass.

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
He may be the type, just not the skill set.

Like said, you can run a 4.2 40 and still completely suck ass in the NFL, even at KR/WR: Dexter Jackson is a prime example.

If he's taken, he should go to a team like Tennessee where they don't give up on guys easy. If he were to go to the Jets/Skins/Boys, he would fail instantly.
Tennessee gives up on guys just as much as the teams you listed, the Titans owner is just in love with Vince Young.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%