Austin Collie hit.

Was this hit leagal, or not?

• Yes, he had two feet down.

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • No, it was clearly a helmet to helmet hit.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am a homer. Hit was bad but legal.

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Kam. Im pretty sure Pugz edited considering SG has no power over the poll........

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I know it wasn't intentional, but lets say I'm out shooting a gun at some birds, and accidentally shoot a guy in the head, killing him....do you think I should get punished?

footballplaya52

Solo Dolo
Reaction score
I know it wasn't intentional, but lets say I'm out shooting a gun at some birds, and accidentally shoot a guy in the head, killing him....do you think I should get punished?
lmao that has no <Censored>ing relevance what so ever.

the mikell hit pushed collie into coleman and altered his path and their heads hit.

nobody should be fined and mikell shouldnt have gotten a defenseless receiver penalty when he clearly had 2 feet down moving forward.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It has relevance, people are saying you don't need to pay the price for doing something unintentionally.

Also Collie was hit, he was going straight down (would have landed on his stomach), but then #42 comes in and hits him while he's going down, might of hit him on the shoulder 1st, but did smack his facemask right into the side of Collie's helmet, knocking him out right away.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It has relevance, people are saying you don't need to pay the price for doing something unintentionally.
But your hypothetical situation is an extreme one. This was a wrong place, wrong time situation. I just watched it and the he led with the shoulder and then they hit helmets. Does that deserve extra punishment (fine or suspension)? No. You want to call a penalty, w/e, it is what it is, but I don't think it should extend beyond that.

Myron Pryor was fined $7,500 by the league for his hit on Favre that let Favre with a gash that required stitches. He wasn't penalized on the play (rightfully so, the helmet to helmet contact was incidental. He hit Favre in the chest originally) but the league took a look at it and fined him afterward.

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
Facepalm, facepalm.. and more <Censored>ing facepalm.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score

Also Collie was hit, he was going straight down (would have landed on his stomach), but then #42 comes in and hits him while he's going down, might of hit him on the shoulder 1st, but did smack his facemask right into the side of Collie's helmet, knocking him out right away.
Watch the replay again.... and again.... and again... and then watch it in regular motion. IT HAPPENS SO FAST, he cannot alter his path. he is going in for the tackle, to knock the ball from the receivers hands before he can haul it in. In a fraction of a second collie is hit by another defender and #42 comes in, AND GOES IN WITH HIS SHOULDER!

Listen to Antonio Pierce's comments about it on SportsCenter -- That is how you are taught to tackle! Yes, after the initial contact there was a helmet knocking into a helmet, but it wasn't LED IN with the helmet. The helmet graces the other helmet after the initial contact. THAT IS LEGAL!!

And to finally shut people up -- here is a screenshot I took of the replay of the initial contact by #42:

He goes in SHOULDER FIRST! His head is turned to the left to try and avoid helmet to helmet. But because of the first hit on Collie a split second before he hits him, he hits him in a bad way... but the helmets barely collide. The helmets touch, but not in a serious manner.

It's time for people to start understanding what helmet to helmet is. Helmet to helmet is not just "the helmets touched. Fine, suspension." Helmets graze each other on SO many tackles in the NFL, its only the bad ones that we notice it and give a crap about. The helmets are so big, its so hard to avoid them touching. Helmet to Helmet fines matter when the defender LEADS IN with his helmet -- in this case, 42 DID NOT lead in.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
lol look at that screenshot. His head is clearly pointed right at Collie's helmet. Now what are some explanations for his helmet pointing right at Collie's helmet???

His head is also not turned to the left, if you watch the replay, his facemask is right on Collie's helmet.

lol the helmets smack into each other to, there was no "grazing". How would he get knocked out on a "graze."

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Care to make a video teaching everyone how to tackle, leading with your shoulder, while your head is turned to the other side to avoid contact with anything?

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm not saying that the helmet won't make contact with anything. It always hits something. How my football team was taught to tackle is you hit them with your shoulder, put your facemask on the ball, wrap up and take them down. No helmet to helmet hits there.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Collie's helmet bounced off the ground pretty hard, once he went down. If that doesn't happen, he doesn't get KO'd on the field. Either way, if Collie pops back up after that pancake & trots off the field, we aren't even having this conversation right now.

This is turning into cries of "Illegal Hit!" anytime a player gets hurt on a tackle.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
They were talking about that during the game, all the announcers agreed that they thought he went out before he hit the ground, and I agree with them.

I wouldn't argue this as much, but I feel it was a helmet to helmet hit, even though it was unintentional.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
They were talking about that during the game, all the announcers agreed that they thought he went out before he hit the ground, and I agree with them.

I wouldn't argue this as much, but I feel it was a helmet to helmet hit, even though it was unintentional.
I heard the announcers and I choose not to allow them to influence and overrule my own 2 eyes. Collie was pancaked, which hurts like hell, but I don't think he went out until his melon bounced off the ground. His head bounced like a basketball off the surface...definitely more of an impact than knocking into Coleman's helmet during the hit.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
To me it looked like right when the guys helmet hit Collie's, he went limp. The ball came out and his arm just kinda stayed there.

But oh well. It happened. We won't really know unless somehow we get a hold of the Cat scan they ran on his head.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
We won't really know unless somehow we get a hold of the Cat scan they ran on his head.
We'll know when Collie rises from his coma and gets in front of the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%