AL Central Discussion

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Assuming that's a shot at Phil Coke, always remember that I told you so.

Mobruler

Wolves
Reaction score
I feel like many people, especially Tigers fans, are looking at the free agents lost vs. free agents gained and making a determination of how the team will perform this upcoming season vs. last season based only on that.

While the roster changes are obviously a very important factor in whether the team has improved or regressed, that and that alone is not a complete or fair way to form your opinion.  

There are things that went wrong or weren't there last season that could very reasonably and even probably change and improve the team this season.  Things like:

- Something was very wrong with Verlander and he performed way under expectations for most of last season even though he did have three fantastic postseason starts.  Over the past five seasons, it was his worst season by far.  It's reasonable to think he can probably have a much better full season.  

- Alex Avila, Austin Jackson and Andy Dirks had very poor seasons by their standards last season.  All three players have had multiple past seasons with the Tigers where their production was much better.  It's reasonable to think that these guys can't get any worse and probably will have better seasons this year since they have already shown us better production in the past.

- It's reasonable to think the best player in baseball in Miguel Cabrera won't be fighting through a battery of injuries for basically the entire season and won't be on his death bed in October.

- Nick Castellanos whom has been a highly anticipated Tigers prospect will finally get his chance to start every day.  It's reasonable to think he could live up to at least some of the hype of being a fantastic contact hitter and provide a valuable stick for the team.

- A geriatric manager who managed like it was 1970 and probably doesn't know what OPS stands for is being replaced by Brad Ausmus whom is thought to be a great new-age mind and embraces sabermetrics.  It is reasonable to think that with this change, and some savvier analysis, the team can be more creative and be in better positions to succeed.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The best player in baseball in Miguel Cabrera

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
As an Indians fan, let me knock down all of your statements cause I hate fun.

1. Verlander has pitched 200+ innings in 7 straight seasons, another 20 innings per in 4 post-seasons. Perhaps he's just waring down a bit?

2. Austin Jackson had a .371 BABIP in 2012, it's reasonable to believe that it was a fluke year, and last year will be his norm. Avila was terrible in 2010, great in 2011, above average (good for a catcher) in 2012, and awful last year. 2011 isn't happening again, somewhere around 2012 numbers seems like the norm. Dirks had a .365 BABIP in 2012, not happening again.

3. Regardless of injuries, last year was statistically his best season ever. Honestly, the Tigers can blame themselves on injury problems Cabrera could end up continuously going through because of the move to 3rd base. A big guy like that is not meant to play 3rd.

4. Prospects are impossible to project, especially as a rookie. Could flame out his first year, like so many do, and then bounce back later.

5th. No counter for that, Leyland was incredibly overrated in my mind.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Kinslers road splits sucked as a ranger
Vmart is their cleanup hitter
No more doug fister

But the rest of the division is pretty meh. Still, could get interesting

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
elcheato said:
As an Indians fan, let me knock down all of your statements cause I hate fun.

1. Verlander has pitched 200+ innings in 7 straight seasons, another 20 innings per in 4 post-seasons. Perhaps he's just waring down a bit?

2. Austin Jackson had a .371 BABIP in 2012, it's reasonable to believe that it was a fluke year, and last year will be his norm. Avila was terrible in 2010, great in 2011, above average (good for a catcher) in 2012, and awful last year. 2011 isn't happening again, somewhere around 2012 numbers seems like the norm. Dirks had a .365 BABIP in 2012, not happening again.

3. Regardless of injuries, last year was statistically his best season ever. Honestly, the Tigers can blame themselves on injury problems Cabrera could end up continuously going through because of the move to 3rd base. A big guy like that is not meant to play 3rd.

4. Prospects are impossible to project, especially as a rookie. Could flame out his first year, like so many do, and then bounce back later.

5th. No counter for that, Leyland was incredibly overrated in my mind.
dick

Mobruler

Wolves
Reaction score
BABIP can kiss my ass. I won't let an Indians fan ruin my chi.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
I can prove it to you.

If you're still dumb enough to believe he's the best player in baseball, you're just being foolish.

Mobruler

Wolves
Reaction score
Who the best person in anything is clearly a very subjective thing by it's nature. I don't really give a shit who you think is the best player in baseball. You seem to be trying really hard to offend me by saying Cabrera isn't. Don't care and you won't change my mimnd either.

baltimore_boy

Reaction score
This whole division isn't great this year. The Twins and White Sox are still in their long term rebuilding attempt, the Indians aren't that great and benefited from an extremely easy schedule on their run to the Wild Card last year. The Royals are okay, and the Tigers aren't what they once were. Losing Fielder takes a lot of power from that lineup. I think it will be a 3 team race, but I don't think the division winner will finish much higher than .500.

Mobruler

Wolves
Reaction score
Ehh, I think its going to look a whole lot like last year. Tigers and Indians both in a two team race and both teams winning in the 90s. The Royals have to prove it to me before I ever give them any benefit of the doubt because all I hear season after season after season is about how this year is their years.

I understand why a lot of people would think the Tigers took a step back, but I don't understand why you would think the Indians won't keep up the pace of their 90+ win season last year. I think if anything, they've gotten better.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Indians worry me.. Royals are sneaky as well, wouldn't put anything past them.. I think it's going to be a 3 team battle without much separation. 

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Fangraphs measured the Indians as having the 9th hardest schedule in the league last year by using opponents WAR as the gauge

And the Indians had the 9th hardest schedule according to ESPN's RPI (relative power index)

The central is going to have at least two 90 win teams again.

Average amount of wins per team in the 6 divisions:

AL East: 86.6
NL Central: 84.2
AL Central: 80
NL West: 79.8
NL East: 78.2
AL West: 77.4

If the Indians accept Masterson's 3 or 4 year extension offer, their entire core will be under contract until 2017. The Tigers still have a beast rotation and Miguel Cabrera, and the Royals are still young and haven't hit their peak. Might have a tough time replacing Santana tho

The Indians are being very underrated right now in the media. There's no reason to believe the team is going to take a sudden drop.

Mobruler

Wolves
Reaction score
People falling into that Royals trap.  Again.

It NEVER pans out.  

I think I've heard about how the Royals are going to breakout and their collection of young talent is going to produce every single March since the Clinton administration.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm not falling into the Royals trap. Hell, I even said they're gonna have a tough time finding production to replace Santana. They're still talented though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%