2018 MLB Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrewCrewFan

Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
I don't see how others see the Mets as not being good. Look at that rotation when healthy.
They got deGrom and Noah. Outside of that meh

Harvey, Wheeler and Matz arent that good

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Brewcrew back at it again with his terrible takes

if theyre healthy, the mets rotation is filthy

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
It only took Alex Cobb 3 pitches for Jim Palmer to compare him to Clayton Kershaw.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm so sick of Arizona
They've beaten us 10 straight times in the regular season wtf

Obviously we swept them when it mattered.

Last night they batted little Daniel descalso cleanup and what does he do? 4rbis and a homer.

They're taunting us

I'm also sick of all these off days. Dodgers have no rhythm to the season and we keep playing SF and az. Can't wait for some new teams. We play SF and az 10x each this month

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Update: Alex Cobb has now been compared to Rodrigo Lopez.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:

I literally have no idea what to expect from Matz, Harvey and Wheeler. Even if they're healthy.

Nothing wrong with doubting them. Solid lineup, solid bullpen, two great starters, new manager and a lot of question marks.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
I literally have no idea what to expect from Matz, Harvey and Wheeler. Even if they're healthy.

Nothing wrong with doubting them. Solid lineup, solid bullpen, two great starters, new manager and a lot of question marks.
Don't know Wheeler or Matz too well, but Harvey is nasty when healthy. I think he's going to be good again.

With three great starters and a much more improved lineup, I think Mets are even better than the Nats. And I picked Nats for the division... I would even be willing to take that back because Mets are potentially nasty.

BrewCrewFan

Reaction score
Harvey and Wheeler have significant question marks with performance and health.

Last two years

Harvey pitched in less than 80 innings and -0.7 WAR combined those two years.

Wheeler hasnt pitched in more than 100 innings since 2014.

Matz highest innngs in the majors: 132.1.

Im not saying its bad but you have two sure things and then three severe question marks who havent been effective in a couple years.

The bullpen is good and lineup has some good vetetans but they still have a lot of question marks

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
There is no telling what Harvey will be like, even when healthy which he is right now.

I believe the list of pitchers who are successful following thoracic outlet syndrome is extremely small. The cards are stacked against him and quite frankly I dont expect much from him.

Matz was much better when he used to throw his slider frequently. It was nasty. Then he started getting bone spurs in his elbow. Team physicians told him it had nothing to do with the slider but he didn't agree. Now he rarely throws it. In fact I dont think he throws it at all. It's a major weapon he no longer possesses.

And as for Wheeler.... lots of walks, high pitch counts, typically struggles to get through the 6th frame for those reasons. I'm less optimistic as you PWNdroia. I agree the potential is there but I just dont think these 3 guys are going to have that much success again.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
BrewCrewFan said:
Harvey and Wheeler have significant question marks with performance and health.

Last two years

Harvey pitched in less than 80 innings and -0.7 WAR combined those two years.

Wheeler hasnt pitched in more than 100 innings since 2014.

Matz highest innngs in the majors: 132.1.

Im not saying its bad but you have two sure things and then three severe question marks who havent been effective in a couple years.

The bullpen is good and lineup has some good vetetans but they still have a lot of question marks

GMF1991 said:
There is no telling what Harvey will be like, even when healthy which he is right now.

I believe the list of pitchers who are successful following thoracic outlet syndrome is extremely small. The cards are stacked against him and quite frankly I dont expect much from him.

Matz was much better when he used to throw his slider frequently. It was nasty. Then he started getting bone spurs in his elbow. Team physicians told him it had nothing to do with the slider but he didn't agree. Now he rarely throws it. In fact I dont think he throws it at all. It's a major weapon he no longer possesses.

And as for Wheeler.... lots of walks, high pitch counts, typically struggles to get through the 6th frame for those reasons. I'm less optimistic as you PWNdroia. I agree the potential is there but I just dont think these 3 guys are going to have that much success again.
Even if they aren't 100%, Harvey and Wheeler have raw talent in the rotation, which is more than what the Mets had last year.  Add their shakiness in surrounded by a lot of great pitchers and they'll be fine.

Shaky or not, I think they're comparable to the Nationals if you look at all the pitchers.  And the offense has gotten strikingly better this year.  Add that to the pitching and they're poised to be successful.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Rich Hill, Mexi's favorite guy.  Lives off the curveball, always injured, and even though he (occasionally) looks downright nasty, he hasn't proven he can consistently pitch more than 140 innings.  I say "occasionally" because he hasn't pitched enough and he's only started "occasionally" throughout the years he's pitched.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He wont pitch 140 this year either by design
Dodgers don't believe in a 5 man staff. They believe in like an 8 man staff

Another day another loss to arizona. Make that 11 straight regular season losses to arizona lol. How did they not beat us in the nlds!

Dodgers have only played 3 teams. SF twice, Arizona twice and the A's for 2. Just want some new blood please
We get 3 new teams before an 8 game road trip to end april/open may @SF, @AZ
Torture

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Mexi said:
He wont pitch 140 this year either by design
Dodgers don't believe in a 5 man staff. They believe in like an 8 man staff

Another day another loss to arizona. Make that 11 straight regular season losses to arizona lol. How did they not beat us in the nlds!

Dodgers have only played 3 teams. SF twice, Arizona twice and the A's for 2. Just want some new blood please
We get 3 new teams before an 8 game road trip to end april/open may @SF, @AZ
Torture
I still think an 8 man staff is a bad idea, depth or no depth. They need consistency.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:

Even if they aren't 100%, Harvey and Wheeler have raw talent in the rotation, which is more than what the Mets had last year.  Add their shakiness in surrounded by a lot of great pitchers and they'll be fine.

Shaky or not, I think they're comparable to the Nationals if you look at all the pitchers.  And the offense has gotten strikingly better this year.  Add that to the pitching and they're poised to be successful.
All I'm saying is just because they're healthy doesn't mean they're even close to the level they were on a few years ago.

You made it sound as if a healthy Harvey is still an Ace, and theres just nothing to support that.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
All I'm saying is just because they're healthy doesn't mean they're even close to the level they were on a few years ago.

You made it sound as if a healthy Harvey is still an Ace, and theres just nothing to support that.
True, but he has the form and stuff an ace would normally have.  That mentality doesn't just go away.  Look at Pujols.  He's washed up now but he still knows how to rake just not as effectively as he's done in the past.  All I'm saying is that they have experience and raw talent.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Not sure if Cora prefers Lin over Swihart, but I would much rather have Swihart.  That guy rakes when hitting.

CoachAF

Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:

he's actually not too far off here. Harvey is far removed from 2015. Matz could be something, but could be nothing. He has proven nothing since he has yet to pitch more than 133 innings in his 3 years. Wheeler is in the same boat as Matz. Both were top prospects who have flashed at times, but proven nothing when it comes to being more than a middle of the rotation type arm. DeGrom and Thor are legit aces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%