2014 NBA Offseason/Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
I'm aware of that, but he was miles behind guys like Blake Griffin, Kevin Love, Greg Oden, Derrick Favors, Boogie, etc

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
To me it basically sounds like bosox was misinformed about Davis coming out of Kentucky and was also misinformed about Davis after his rookie season and as a result he found my comments "annoying" and because he has a dislike for me he also has a dislike for Davis. Which is incredibly childish, but I've come to expect it. I'd also like to say my "annoying comments" were 100% right and I predicted prior to last season that not only would AD lead the Pelicans in scoring but he would do it by scoring 20 or more points a night.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
I'm aware of that, but he was miles behind guys like Blake Griffin, Kevin Love, Greg Oden, Derrick Favors, Boogie, etc

Miles? nah...

Like nola said it just sounds like you were misinformed about him. He had great touch for a big man and also good handles from having played a lot of guard in high school before his growth spurt. He wasn't a finished product by any means at Kentucky but to compare him to Thabeet is absolutely foolish, as has been proven.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Nola's passive aggressive responses are my favorite 

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Davis' rise in his sophomore season was the least unexpected development in the history of the NBA. Going to Kentucky didn't do him justice. This is one of the few cases where a player would have been much better off not going there. 

Should have gone to Cleveland State like he planned before he sprouted up 3 feet. Dick 

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
elcheato said:
Davis' rise in his sophomore season was the least unexpected development in the history of the NBA. Going to Kentucky didn't do him justice. This is one of the few cases where a player would have been much better off not going there. 

Why? He won the championship and the player of the year, and was the #1 pick? I think it worked out just fine haha

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Davis would have surely been taken ahead of three of those guys bosox listed, and some teams may have even taken him over a fourth, btw.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:

Why? He won the championship and the player of the year, and was the #1 pick? I think it worked out just fine haha
He's always been a better offensive prospect than a defensive prospect to me, and it went unnoticed because he had a confined role at Kentucky offensively because of all of the 5 star prospects. If he went to a school with less talent, he would have been depended on more offensively, and his entire skill set would have been on display, and still would have been the obvious #1 pick, only with more people understanding everything about him.

All in all, it doesn't matter, it wouldn't have change his career arc, just saying more people would have realized his offensive prowess 

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
elcheato said:

Should have gone to Cleveland State like he planned before he sprouted up 3 feet. Dick
I don't think it was unexpected to the people who really followed his rookie season closely. As a Hornets fan, I was aware of how much Monty handicapped him during his rookie season to kind of protect him against the bigger bodies in the league. Monty is a tight lipped guy, but he even spoke about protecting AD a good bit through his rookie year and last offseason. Then he started talking about how he would give AD the green light and wouldn't hold him back this past season and he didn't.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I said least unexpected, as in expected. 

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:

Miles? nah...

Like nola said it just sounds like you were misinformed about him. He had great touch for a big man and also good handles from having played a lot of guard in high school before his growth spurt. He wasn't a finished product by any means at Kentucky but to compare him to Thabeet is absolutely foolish, as has been proven.
Thabeets numbers were almost identical to Davis': 13.6ppg/10.8rpg for Thabeet, 14.2ppg/10.4rpg for Davis. I just really thought it was foolish to say he was a KG when his production was of Thabeets. I mean, Blake Griffin averaged 22/14 in his last year, and he was friggen dominant. Like I think Dan said, if he was showcased offensively, I probably would have liked him more. I also did hate that Kentucky team, so that coulda blocked my vision a bit

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
I just liked the guys with production in college basketball. My four favorite players in NCAA history, outside my boy Rashad Anderson, are Kemba, John Wall, DRose, and Blake Griffin

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
Thabeets numbers were almost identical to Davis': 13.6ppg/10.8rpg for Thabeet, 14.2ppg/10.4rpg for Davis. I just really thought it was foolish to say he was a KG when his production was of Thabeets. I mean, Blake Griffin averaged 22/14 in his last year, and he was friggen dominant. Like I think Dan said, if he was showcased offensively, I probably would have liked him more. I also did hate that Kentucky team, so that coulda blocked my vision a bit

This goes back once again to watching players play and not just looking at stats. On top of that, Anthony Davis was a freshman (and the #1 recruit in the nation) and Thabeet came out after his third year. Evan in looking at just stats: much higher FT%, more than double the assists, hit a couple threes, etc.

It's a terrible comparison. Anthony Davis was FIFTH on that Kentucky team in shots. He might not have been a 20+ guy elsewhere, but he's at least 17 and 9 at another school.

His offensive game was never what was the concern about him. It was his strength, or lack there of.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Davis would have lit up college Kevin Durant-esque as the first option on a not as talented team. 

Well I shouldn't say Durant-esque, as he's obviously not as good a three point shooter, as it's not even in his game yet. But he would have had gaudy numbers. 

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It's also incredibly infuriating that the only lottery the Cavs DIDN'T win in the last 4 years was for the Anthony Davis draft, and it's because we lost a coin flip that initially helped our positioning. Probably would have taken MKG anyway cause logic. 

But I don't think I should be complaining about much anymore. 

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
elcheato said:
It's also incredibly infuriating that the only lottery the Cavs DIDN'T win in the last 4 years was for the Anthony Davis draft, and it's because we lost a coin flip that initially helped our positioning. Probably would have taken MKG anyway cause logic. 

But I don't think I should be complaining about much anymore.
Pels win the lottery this year if they don't beat OKC and HOU to close out the season. It's funny how things work.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I kind of get it with AD though. Calipari is a guy that is known to just kind of chain a player to just one particular skill. He kind of strips guys down a lot and once they come into the league they're allowed to do a lot more things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%