Warren Moon can’t understand what Cam Newton’s critics see

Sportsguy9695

Reaction score
Since opening the door to the conversation about race and football last week, Panthers quarterback Cam Newton has tried to make the topic less divisive and more about the fact he defies categorization.
But one of Newton’s earliest mentors, who knows about the realities of the topic, is willing to burst through the door.
Hall of Fame quarterback Warren Moon told Mike Garafolo of FOX Sports that he didn’t understand what people had to criticize about Newton, if they weren’t leaning back on more sinister motives.
“That’s the thing I don’t understand. How come they just can’t let it go?” Moon said of Newton’s critics. “If he hasn’t done anything [recently] that’s been against the law or anything that would cause negative publicity, isn’t out in the world doing something wrong except for just dancing after a touchdown, I mean what is the big deal? He’s worked toward maturity in the last five or six years he’s been in the league and has done positive things to erase a lot of that negative stuff from when he was 18, 19 years old. I just don’t know why people can’t let all of that stuff go.
Source: Profootballtalk

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
the white folk see him as a thug because he dances and because hes black. it all comes down to that and its TERRIBLE that it does.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Yea, like most people I've talked to at bars don't even mention his antics from college. Seems like the No Fun League has spread to the fans now. God forbid a player celebrates. 

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
What criticism?  There was a lot of Newton hate early in his career because of his antics plus the lack of team success at the time, but everyone has been slurping Newton all season long.  I don't understand where all this talk is coming from all of a sudden.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
It's 2% of football fans that cry about him on twitter and the Media acts like it's the majority of fans

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'd say it's a lot of fans. Mixture of him being black, and that there is a large group of fans who hate anyone that has a personality. 

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
elcheato said:
I'd say it's a lot of fans. Mixture of him being black, and that there is a large group of fans who hate anyone that has a personality. 
especially with a hip hop orientated personality.

Shaggy

Staff member
ADMIN
Reaction score
Do you think this would even be a topic if he was white?  I do.  White or black, with his antics, he would still be criticized.  Take Johnny moron Football.  He's white and was criticized for his dollar signs antics. 

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Manziel is criticized because he's a jackass 

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
except cam doesnt really have any off the field issues, or on field issues. hes good and he does a hip hop dance when he scores. thats the issue.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Johnny has had drinking issues and been spotted frequently partying. So no, if Cam was white, I don't think this would be a topic. 

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Part of the problem is the spotlight. Honestly, we didn't hear 1/5 of this until the playoffs started. 

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
the "dabbing" dance he does has been an issue all season.

Shaggy

Staff member
ADMIN
Reaction score
I still don't think its because he is black.  Maybe some think that, but I believe the majority(which is not that big) is that they think he over does it in celebrating everything he does.  One is that he celebrates every first down.  I have no issues with Cam.  I feel he may go over board with all his celebrations, but it doesn't bother me.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
JJ Watt celebrates a lot too, and I've never seen a concerned mother have a letter posted by a newspaper about Watt and how horrified that mother was.

Now I guess someone could argue he's not a QB so the spotlight isn't squarely on him, but he's as high profile as it gets for a non-QB

Shaggy

Staff member
ADMIN
Reaction score
elcheato said:
JJ Watt celebrates a lot too

Yea, when he gets a sack and tackle for a loss.  All D players celebrate a little when the get a sack or INT.  Do they celebrate when they get a tackle that wasn't a sack or loss?  Not really.  Cam celebrates when he gets a first down.  I don't care if he celebrates it or not, it doesn't bother me much(it did when he was killing the Cardinals :) ) but i know why people may think its a little overboard.  Cam is good.  He has gotten better and better each year and deserves to be where he is this weekend.   

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
It's the new generation of players. Middle aged people better get used to it because it ain't going away.

Fuhgeddaboudit

Reaction score
Exactly what has been said, no fun league has spread to fans, people hate him because he's black and celebrating. It's fucking pure shit, and I really do feel awful reading and hearing people say dumb shit like that. 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%