Verlander fastest to 20 wins since 2002

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Johnny Cueto leads the NL in ERA by a wide margin, and he hasn't even won half of his starts (9 of 21)..

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
I will agree that Wins are an overrated stat and can not be used to judge one pitcher better then another. The writers have caught up with that same idea when you look at the Felix Hernandez and Zach Greinke. More so Hernandez then Greinke.

However I don't think wins are a completely worthless stat to look at. It's not very likely at all your going to see a mediocre pitcher achieve what Verlander has achieved. Pitchers might get lucky with run support and get some wins with a higher E.R.A then others, Nova comes to mind, but over the course of the year that type of pitcher is not going to win 20 games if he continues to pitch that way. Things will even out.

You can't really look at wins for a pitcher like Hernandez last year, who only went a Game over .500 with a 13-12 record, because of his lack of run support on a very un productive Mariners team. But look at last year all of the pitchers who won 20 games. Wainwright, Sabathia, and Halladay. All 3 of them are considered some of the best pitchers in baseball. Then you go to 19 wins, Lester, Price, and Jimenez. All 3 are also elite pitchers, with the exception of Jimenez who isn't considered one of the elite but is still considered one of the better pitchers in baseball. You can even go to 18 wins, where Hughes, Cahill, and Verlander are. The exception here is Phil Hughes who is not one of the best pitchers in baseball but is also above-average.

I agree that wins are a very overrated stat, especially when choosing awards such as the Cy-Young, and debating which pitcher is better then another, but it is not a useless stat.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I will agree that Wins are an overrated stat and can not be used to judge one pitcher better then another. The writers have caught up with that same idea when you look at the Felix Hernandez and Zach Greinke. More so Hernandez then Greinke.

However I don't think wins are a completely worthless stat to look at. It's not very likely at all your going to see a mediocre pitcher achieve what Verlander has achieved. Pitchers might get lucky with run support and get some wins with a higher E.R.A then others, Nova comes to mind, but over the course of the year that type of pitcher is not going to win 20 games if he continues to pitch that way. Things will even out.

You can't really look at wins for a pitcher like Hernandez last year, who only went a Game over .500 with a 13-12 record, because of his lack of run support on a very un productive Mariners team. But look at last year all of the pitchers who won 20 games. Wainwright, Sabathia, and Halladay. All 3 of them are considered some of the best pitchers in baseball. Then you go to 19 wins, Lester, Price, and Jimenez. All 3 are also elite pitchers, with the exception of Jimenez who isn't considered one of the elite but is still considered one of the better pitchers in baseball. You can even go to 18 wins, where Hughes, Cahill, and Verlander are. The exception here is Phil Hughes who is not one of the best pitchers in baseball but is also above-average.

I agree that wins are a very overrated stat, especially when choosing awards such as the Cy-Young, and debating which pitcher is better then another, but it is not a useless stat.
im confused

it seems like you're contradicting yourself

you understand why Wins as a pitching stat is meh, but you still say it isnt useless

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
im confused

it seems like you're contradicting yourself

you understand why Wins as a pitching stat is meh, but you still say it isnt useless
I think Wins is an overated stat with the emphasis some people put on it, but I don't think the stat is useless if looked at correctly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%