Updated Mock draft

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Top 10 -

1. [font="verdana][img]http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/panthersb_logo.gif[/img] [b]Carolina Panthers: Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford [/b][img]http://walterfootball.com/college/Stanford_logo.gif[/img] [/font][font="verdana]Congratulations to the Carolina Panthers for winning the Andrew Luck sweepstakes.

It's more apparent now than ever that the Panthers need to blow up this mess and start over. If they're drafting No. 1 overall, they have to take Luck. Luck is just way too good of a quarterback prospect to pass up.

I made a huge mistake when I really underestimated how important it is not to be a loser in college. If you're a winner as a quarterback, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll succeed in the NFL. However, if you can't win, I think it says something about your attitude.

Jimmy Clausen just doesn't have "it." Granted, he has no help from his teammates - Steve Smith is dropping a ton of passes and the offensive line refuses to block - but Clausen has lost all confidence in himself and his body language is absolutely abysmal. Maybe he can get it together on another team somewhere down the road, but he's not even close to being ready as an NFL starter.[/font]
[font="verdana][b][i]Other 2011 NFL Draft Possibilities: [/i][/b]

1. A.J. Green, WR - These are if Luck doesn't declare. A.J. Green is one of the top wideout prospects in recent memory. Steve Smith is done, just like many 31- to 33-year-old receivers who rely solely on speed. In fact, I would cut Smith because I wouldn't want him poisoning Luck. Carolina needs a new No. 1 receiver.

2. Nick Fairley, DT - The Panthers' pass rush stinks and there's a huge hole at defensive tackle. [/font]
[font="verdana]
[/font]
[font="verdana]2. [/font][font="verdana][img]http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/broncosb_logo.gif[/img] [b]Denver Broncos: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU [/b][img]http://walterfootball.com/college/LSU_logo.gif[/img] [/font][font="verdana]Champ Bailey, who is set to become a free agent this offseason, was recently quoted as saying that he's tired of all the change in Denver. It's unlikely that he'll be back. And if he is, Bailey told ESPN that he wants to convert to safety to prolong his NFL career.

Meanwhile, it's possible that Perrish Cox could be headed to prison for a few years in the wake of recent rape allegations. The Broncos obviously need help at corner.

Cornerbacks are seldom taken in the top three, but then again, we said the same thing about defensive tackles prior to the 2010 NFL Draft. Like Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy, Patrick Peterson is a special sort of talent that doesn't come around very often.

[b][i]Other 2011 NFL Draft Possibilities: [/i][/b]

1. Nick Fairley, DE/DT - I imagine Denver's big board will be: 1) Andrew Luck; 2) Patrick Peterson; 3) Nick Fairley. Fairley would be a great addition to a horrific defensive line. [/font]
[font="verdana]
[/font]
[font="verdana]3. [/font][font="verdana][img]http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/bengalsb_logo.gif[/img] [b]Cincinnati Bengals: A.J. Green, WR, Georgia [/b][img]http://walterfootball.com/college/Georgia_logo.gif[/img] [/font][font="verdana]Carson Palmer lives! With Chad Ochocinco and Terrell Owens out, Palmer had his best game in a very long time. Owner Mike Brown loves Palmer, so the San Diego game pretty much cemented Palmer's return.

Ochocinco and Owens won't be back, however. The Bengals will need to find a No. 1 receiver to pair with Jerome Simpson, who shockingly had a great performance last week.

Green is a no-brainer here; he's one of the top receiver prospects since Randy Moss.

1. Da'Quan Bowers, DE - Someone to play across from the emerging Carlos Dunlap if the Bengals are convinced that Antwan Odom can't bounce back from his latest injury. [/font]
[font="verdana]
[/font]
[font="verdana]4. [/font][font="verdana][img]http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/billsb_logo.gif[/img] [b]Buffalo Bills: Nick Fairley, DE/DT, Auburn [/b][img]http://walterfootball.com/college/Auburn_logo.gif[/img] [/font][font="verdana]The Bills have ruined their chances of becoming a playoff contender in the first half of this decade by winning themselves out of the Andrew Luck sweepstakes. So they have two options: Take a lesser quarterback like Cam Newton or address a hole on the defensive line with the best player available.

Nick Fairley, who can play in both the 4-3 and 3-4, which will intrigue the Bills, who can't seem to decide on a defensive scheme.

Fairley has been unstoppable. He completely dominated Alabama's offensive line on Thanksgiving weekend. His stock has risen to the point that it'd be shocking if he fell out of the top six.

1. Cam Newton, QB - If the Bills like Cam Newton enough, they could conceivably take him at No. 4, though I don't think that will happen.

2. A.J. Green, WR - Lee Evans is due to make $8.4 million next year. He didn't have a good season, so the thrifty Bills could decide to part ways with him. If the Bengals pass on A.J. Green, Buffalo could take the Georgia wideout. [/font]
[font="verdana]
[/font]
[font="verdana]5. [/font][font="verdana][img]http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/cardinalsb_logo.gif[/img] [b]Arizona Cardinals: Robert Quinn, DE/OLB, North Carolina [/b][img]http://walterfootball.com/college/NorthCarolina_logo.gif[/img] [/font][font="verdana]Arizona drafting a quarterback makes absolutely no sense to me. New regimes mean new quarterbacks. Old ones don't. Ken Whisenhunt is on the hot seat. Why would he risk his job with some rookie signal-caller? Whisenhunt will sign a veteran like Donovan McNabb or Marc Bulger, and have either one compete with an improving John Skelton next year.

With that in mind, the best player available who makes sense for the Cardinals is Robert Quinn. The Cardinals have a sorry pass rush (26 sacks prior to the Dallas game) and will be letting go of some of their ineffective veterans this offseason. Quinn, who projects well as a 3-4 rush linebacker, would fill a huge need for Arizona.

1. Prince Amukamara, CB - The Cardinals had issues at cornerback early in the year, but that's been resolved. Still, they may like Prince Amukamara enough to take him.

2. Cam Newton, QB - Hey, I've been wrong before. But I don't see this happening. [/font]
[font="verdana]
[/font]
[font="verdana]6. [/font][font="verdana][img]http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/49ersb_logo.gif[/img] [b]San Francisco 49ers: Cam Newton, QB, Auburn [/b][img]http://walterfootball.com/college/Auburn_logo.gif[/img] [/font][font="verdana]I can't believe I'm putting Cam Newton this high either. Newton's stock is on the rise in the wake of an impressive comeback at Alabama and a great performance in the SEC Championship; even the talking heads on ESPN seem to agree that Arizona taking Newton in the top five is a good idea.

The Cam Newton Hype Train is coming. If Newton beats Oregon in one of the two national championships this January, some team will probably make a desperate reach.

Many consider Newton unprepared to play in the NFL, but there's no denying that he possesses tremendous upside with a big arm and mobility. He's also a winner with great intangibles (see McCoy, Colt). Some front office will talk themselves into believing Newton is the next multi-threat quarterback, hoping that they can duplicate what the Eagles have right now.

With a new coaching regime in San Francisco. Mike Singletary has already been fired, so the 49ers will be targeting a quarterback early in the 2011 NFL Draft. They'll take whomever they like best between Newton, Ryan Mallett and Jake Locker.

1. Marcell Dareus, DE/DT - San Francisco could use an upgrade at defensive end next to Justin Smith and Aubrayo Franklin.

2. Prince Amukamara, CB - The 49ers really have to address the cornerback position. Prince Amukamara is the top corner available. [/font]
[font="verdana]
[/font]
[font="verdana]7. [/font][font="verdana][img]http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/cowboysb_logo.gif[/img] [b]Dallas Cowboys: [url="http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2011pamukamara.php"]Prince Amukamara[/url], CB, Nebraska [/b]
[/font][font="verdana]The Cowboys have issues in their secondary; they surrendered an average of 319 passing yards in the past seven weeks prior to letting John Skelton win on a fourth-quarter drive. Even Rex Grossman torched them.

Mike Jenkins' effort is always a concern, while the rapidly declining Terence Newman will be 33 heading into the 2011 NFL season.

While Patrick Peterson is the best cornerback prospect to come along in a very long time, Prince Amukamara isn't too far behind him.

Other 2011 NFL Draft Possibilities:

1. Marcell Dareus, DE/DT - The Cowboys need an upgrade over Igor Olshansky at right end.

2. Trade Down - Outside of Amukamara and Marcell Dareus, none of the top players available fit Dallas' needs (RB, CB, S, DE, OL). Moving down would make a lot of sense if they don't like either for some reason. [/font]
[font="verdana]
[/font]
[font="verdana]8. [/font][font="verdana]
Houston Texans: Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama
[/font][font="verdana]The Texans have one of the worst defenses we've seen in a long time. So, how do you fix it?

First of all, Zach Diles needs to go. He's a horrific weakside linebacker who's a major liability in coverage. An upgrade at nose tackle is desperately needed. Two new safeties (particularly a free safety) have to be found. Another pass-rusher wouldn't hurt.

Marcell Dareus is the best player on the board who would help improve Houston's defense. Dareus hasn't been as dominant as some would have hoped this season, but he's still a top-10 prospect capable of playing in any scheme.

1. Da'Quan Bowers, DE - The Texans are usually more need-oriented than most teams, but Da'Quan Bowers makes sense and he could be the best player available.

2. Prince Amukamara, CB - If the Cowboys don't take a corner, Prince Amukamara would be an upgrade over Glover Quin.

Pick change; previously Stephen Paea, DT [/font]
[font="verdana]
[/font]
[font="verdana]9. [/font][font="verdana]
Detroit Lions: Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
[/font][font="verdana]The Lions need a corner more than a defensive end, but like most teams, they don't draft for need. Detroit will take the top player on its board as long as it makes sense for them, and that would likely be Da'Quan Bowers in this scenario.

After underachieving for a couple of seasons at Clemson, Bowers has been unblockable. The 6-4, 280-pound athletic end has 24 TFL and 15 sacks this year. He'll step in for an aging Kyle Vanden Bosch at left end.

1. Prince Amukamara, CB - The Lions wouldn't dare address one of their two biggest needs, would they? Unfortunately, Prince Amukamara isn't available in this mock update. [/font]
[font="verdana]
[/font]
[font="verdana]10. [/font][font="verdana]
Cleveland Browns: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
[/font][font="verdana]Cleveland could be the first team to trade down if the 2011 NFL Draft unfolds this way. Julio Jones is the best player available who makes sense for the Browns - they can thank Brandon Harris for going back to school - yet it's too early to take Jones.

At any rate, the Browns need to give Colt McCoy a playmaker. Mohamed Massaquoi, Brian Robiskie, Ben Watson and Evan Moore just aren't going to cut it.

Jones' downfall is the inconsistency with his hands, but he's an elite talent otherwise. He was great in the Auburn game, and has lifted his stock after a slow start. The fact that he's playing hurt only helps, as teams will love his toughness. [/font]

Lake Louise

Reaction score
That's if the Cowboys pass on him, or if the draft order changes after Sunday, which I'm sure it will.
Yeah, according to the Walterfootball one. I was talking about the other one, but nothing is set in stone and there will be a crap load of changes basically every day. It's all just guessing. The pick in the 3rd and 4th aren't bad int he walterfootball one. CB and SS. Definitely would fill the needs. I'm just not a big fan of the Bowers pick in the 1st. Their front 4 is fine the way it is, and they have surprising depth. Not much, but a decent amount.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Cammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I pray every night it happens

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Looks like the Bengals are pretty much guaranteed either DaQuan Bowers or A.J. Green. I'm hoping A.J. Green. Unless the Bengals win tomorrow, then that really screws things up.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I hope we trade down and take Blackmon, that guy is a straight beast, and he lit up that Prince guy earlier in the year for 150 yards and 2 TDs.

Mooche

Reaction score
Bowers is mad hype at this point in time.

I see a guy with a good sized frame for DE, and with a lot of speed, but he has a lot of issues and concerns that can be exploited at the next level. He is very raw, and he depends on his strength and athletic ability to get by in most pass rushing situations. Bowers gets stonewalled a lot in the running game, and has a tough time getting off the block to get and attack the running back. VERY weak at the point of attack and lacks that burst to get through the OL most times.

He came alive at the end of the year, but don't believe the hype..

Reaction score
Bowers is mad hype at this point in time.

I see a guy with a good sized frame for DE, and with a lot of speed, but he has a lot of issues and concerns that can be exploited at the next level. He is very raw, and he depends on his strength and athletic ability to get by in most pass rushing situations. Bowers gets stonewalled a lot in the running game, and has a tough time getting off the block to get and attack the running back. VERY weak at the point of attack and lacks that burst to get through the OL most times.

He came alive at the end of the year, but don't believe the hype..
This is how I exactly feel, but we went over this.

Mooche

Reaction score
This is how I exactly feel, but we went over this.
Right. I expect him to go to the combine and completely light it up, which will light up the stock even more. He is going to be a Bengal next year I truly believe. They love athletic freaks, and this guy is just going to be added to the list.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
It'll be DaQuan Bowers or A.J. Green for sure. It depends on free agency as well. What happens if both Chad Ochocinco and Terrell Owens leave? We need a future replacement, which, Green would be that guy for years to come. If the Bengals win tomorrow, it may be neither as they'd fall way down the draft order/selection.

Mooche

Reaction score
Right. I just don't know if both of them end up leaving.. I don't know. It's a tough situation to predict. For the Bengals best interest, if I was a fan, I'd LOVE to snag AJ Green. AJ is going to be a premier WR in the NFL early.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%