Trade Deadline Winners/Losers

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
Now that the deadline is over, who do you think were the winners/losers of the deadline?

Senators26

Reaction score
White Sox are winners. Didn't move anyone despite the fans crying to move Sale and others for prospects. Add a piece or 2 this winter and go for it again next season.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Tigers lost. Window is closing and we need help. Probably still sneak in as a wild card (I hope) but I can't see us contending. 

BrewCrewFan

Reaction score
Winners:

Texas Rangers
New York Yankees
Milwaukee Brewers

Losers: 

Detroit Tigers
Chicago White Sox
Arizona Diamondbacks 

Senators26

Reaction score
Jays are now losers after making a move for Liriano. The move means Cy Young candidate Aaron Sanchez is moving to the bullpen. Booo

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
Future is bright in the Bronx baby

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
Yankees sell for the first time in 20 years and their fans think all the prospects automatically turn into stars haha

That being said they got good value

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
A lot of playoff contnders made important moves though

Marlins getting Cashner
Giants getting Moore
Cubs getting Chapman/other pen help
Rangers getting Lucroy/Beltran
Indians getting Miller

Going to be fun to see how these moves all shape October

White Sox, Brewers, Rockies should have sold more IMO

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
JZsportswhiz said:
Yankees sell for the first time in 20 years and their fans think all the prospects automatically turn into stars haha

That being said they got good value
you didn't hear that Clint Frazier is literally Mike Trout

catman

Reaction score
As a Twins' fan, I am happy with the players the team got for their players. Pat Light has a huge upside and could be either a middle of the rotation starter or a end of the game reliever. Lefty Adalberto Mejia came away from a suspension for non-performance enhancing drugs and has done very well this year. He is potentially a #3 starter. They picked up lefty Hector Santiago and Alan Busenitz. They unloaded a bit of salary and some promising prospects to get them.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Senators26 said:
Jays are now losers after making a move for Liriano. The move means Cy Young candidate Aaron Sanchez is moving to the bullpen. Booo
what's not to like? even if it means sanchez moves to the pen (which i hope does not happen), jays acquired a lot of quality pitching depth today. besides, they also acquired a couple of prospects along with Liriano. 

videofreak8

Melted
Reaction score
Brewers had a better deadline than the Cubs, who got arguably the top closer in baseball and another solid pen arm, and the Dodgers, who got a good corner outfielder and a guy with a 2.25 ERA for a depleted rotation, because they got 3 good prospects for a top 3 catcher in the league and two above average pen arms under control for 3 more seasons. The Brewers had a good deadline but to put them in the top 3 is a head scratcher

BrewCrewFan

Reaction score
Fox Sports Dieter Kurtenbach:

Milwaukee Brewers - A+

• Acquired Lewis Brinson and Luis Ortiz from the Texas Rangers for Jonathan Lucroy and Jeremy Jeffress (Aug. 1)

• Acquired Andrew Susac and Phil Bickford from the San Francisco Giants for Will Smith (Aug. 1)

• Acquired Aaron Wilkerson and Wendell Rijo from the Boston Red Sox for Aaron Hill (July 7)

The Brewers gave up two good players but landed two Top-70 prospects who were arguably 1-2 in the Rangers' system. That's an excellent deal. Brinson has the chance to be 25-25 in the Major Leagues, and Ortiz projects as a possible ace down the line.

The Brewers also fleeced the Giants in the Will Smith deal. Smith is a strong left-handed reliever, but Bickford was the best pitching prospect in the Giants’ system. Getting him for Smith straight-up would have been an excellent trade. Getting Susac, who will slide in for Lucroy behind the plate, is a shrewd move.

Link: http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/mlb-trade-deadline-grades-yankees-cubs-brewers-lead-the-way-080116

They got 3 Top 70 prospects today along with a most likely good prospect from Texas to be named after the season and Andrew Susac. Now have 8 Top 100 prospects in the system. 

CoachAF

Reaction score
I think the Brewers and the Yankees came out on top. This was a seller's market through and through, and they took advantage of that with the quality players that they had to deal. 

Everyone can say that the Rangers won at this deadline because of the quality guys they got in return. I'm not so sure about that however. Their biggest weakness has been their pitching (both SP and RP). They got Jeffress for the bullpen but failed to add a significant SP to their rotation. They might likely win the division, but they can't win a playoff series with the trash SP they have right now. So, maybe they are winners now, but they won't be when it matters. 

The Astros come off as losers, but I am okay with not making significant deals because of what it would have cost. The Rangers gave up their top 2 prospects to get LuCroy. I am not okay with that price for the Astros. They will be getting Gurriel soon and have a couple guys in the minors who are making some noise of the rubber. Patience in this market was a good thing IMO

Senators26

Reaction score
snipezo said:
what's not to like? even if it means sanchez moves to the pen (which i hope does not happen), jays acquired a lot of quality pitching depth today. besides, they also acquired a couple of prospects along with Liriano. 
I definitely like the moves but it solidifies that Sanchez will be moved to the bullpen which I don't like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%