Top 5 centers of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If Shaq wasnt so lazy, he could have put up some gaudy numbers
that game vs the clippers where he put up 61/27 :eek:. he could have done that a lot more often
imagine if he was better conditioned

anyways. i struggle with this, but i always put Kareem 1st
i always thought Bill Russell and Wilt were overrated, kill me.

and Hakeem. I just go back to 94 where he flat out destroyed Shaq. made him cry

i cant make a list right now, i'll think

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Hmmm, I'm not saying this is why, but you being a Laker fan, putting Kareem first? It's understandable.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
1. Shaquille O'Neal
2. Wilt Chamberlain
3. Bill Russell
4. Lew Alcindor
5. Hakeem Olajuwon (maybe Mikan...)

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Do you really believe Shaq is the best center ever? That's a stretch imo. Not once did he lead the league in rebounds or blocks.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
I still would put Wilt #1 all time at Center but it's close between him and Bill Russell. Its still amazing that he never fouled out of a game. Major accomplishment despite the height advantage he had.

i'd have to say:

1. Wilt
2. Bill Russell
3. Kareem
4. Hakeem
5. Shaq

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Hmmm, I'm not saying this is why, but you being a Laker fan, putting Kareem first? It's understandable.
i dont see why that matters though

all-time leading scorer
6 championships, 2 different teams
6 MVP's
10 All-NBA first team

i just personally think he's the best

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
i dont see why that matters though

all-time leading scorer
6 championships, 2 different teams
6 MVP's
10 All-NBA first team

i just personally think he's the best
Yeah, but Wilt also holds the top 3 scoring honors for an individual season. 50 per game in 61-62, 45 in 62-63, and 38 in 60-61. He holds 44 NBA scoring records (and is 2nd and 3rd in many of those also), he also holds 19 NBA rebounding records. Including the leading alltime rebounder, he averaged over 30 rebounds per game during the playoffs one year.

I guess we'll just agree to disagree, but I think we can agree that we'd take either.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You can only discredit a guy like Wilt Chamberlain so much, but I'll try and push the limits here...

It is well documented that in his 50/25 season, the next tallest guy was Russell at 6'9 (Wilt was 7'1). What people do not mention, however... Is that he averaged 48.5 minutes per game. He shot an absurd 39.5 shots per game, and 17 additional free throws.

Shaq played in the most stacked era of all time in any sport. He went up against guys like Hakeem Olajuwon, David Robinson, Patrick Ewing, Alonzo Mourning, Dikembe Mutombo, Vlade Divac, and I know I'm missing some too. He didn't dominate MVPs because much of his prime also aligned with the prime of the person who everyone considers to be the all time hands down greatest player, Michael Jordan... And like I said before, Shaq played in the most competitive era of any sport in the history of sport. Shaquille O'Neal DOMINATED that era.

Everyone can agree that Shaq had much more competition than Wilt... But let's try and do something here. Since Wilt averaged 48.5 mpg in that season (more minutes than there are in a non-overtime NBA game today) and 46 MPG for his career. Even the playing field, at least statistically.

Per 36 minutes, Wilt put up 23.6 PPG. Shaq? 23.7. If Shaq played against 6'7 centers like Wilt did, he would have averaged 18 rebounds too.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah, but Wilt also holds the top 3 scoring honors for an individual season. 50 per game in 61-62, 45 in 62-63, and 38 in 60-61. He holds 44 NBA scoring records (and is 2nd and 3rd in many of those also), he also holds 19 NBA rebounding records. Including the leading alltime rebounder, he averaged over 30 rebounds per game during the playoffs one year.

I guess we'll just agree to disagree, but I think we can agree that we'd take either.
You want playoff stats? I got playoff stats.

24.3 PPG
22.5 PPG

Guess which one is Shaq, and which one is Wilt.

Shaq averaged more PPG than Wilt, the "scoring machine" who has the "best season of all time" when he scored 50 PPG against people that are Michael Jordan's height.

And for Alcindor nut suckers, Shaq had the same playoff PPG, and more rebounds. And we all know that the competition for Shaq >>>> Alcindor.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Can I be on Yanks team for the Debate League? LOL

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You can only discredit a guy like Wilt Chamberlain so much, but I'll try and push the limits here...

It is well documented that in his 50/25 season, the next tallest guy was Russell at 6'9 (Wilt was 7'1). What people do not mention, however... Is that he averaged 48.5 minutes per game. He shot an absurd 39.5 shots per game, and 17 additional free throws.

Shaq played in the most stacked era of all time in any sport. He went up against guys like Hakeem Olajuwon, David Robinson, Patrick Ewing, Alonzo Mourning, Dikembe Mutombo, Vlade Divac, and I know I'm missing some too. He didn't dominate MVPs because much of his prime also aligned with the prime of the person who everyone considers to be the all time hands down greatest player, Michael Jordan... And like I said before, Shaq played in the most competitive era of any sport in the history of sport. Shaquille O'Neal DOMINATED that era.

Everyone can agree that Shaq had much more competition than Wilt... But let's try and do something here. Since Wilt averaged 48.5 mpg in that season (more minutes than there are in a non-overtime NBA game today) and 46 MPG for his career. Even the playing field, at least statistically.

Per 36 minutes, Wilt put up 23.6 PPG. Shaq? 23.7. If Shaq played against 6'7 centers like Wilt did, he would have averaged 18 rebounds too.
Nice! Well said. You win.

lonesomefx

The Loud Mouth Pacer
Reaction score
1. Shaquille O'Neal
2. Bill Russell
3. Wilt Chamberlain
4. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
5. Hakeem Olajuwon

lakerfan

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It really depends on what you value. If you like gaudy statistics, Wilt is probably your man-- hypotheticals aside, he has the best numbers out of the group. What goes unsaid, however, is the fact that he was hated by his own teammates, was self-interestedly stat oriented, and won significantly less championships.

For the sake of the argument, let's emphasize that last point. Any argument concerning player comparisons always brings in the small, little aside of the matter of championships into question. Kobe/MJ, Duncan/Garnett, you name it. Why is it that for the center position, this point is significantly less valued? I'm not proclaiming Russell's nine automatically places him at the top of the list either, but the defense of someone that won just two should raise a few red flags. It reeks inconsistency.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It really depends on what you value. If you like gaudy statistics, Wilt is probably your man-- hypotheticals aside, he has the best numbers out of the group. What goes unsaid, however, is the fact that he was hated by his own teammates, was self-interestedly stat oriented, and won significantly less championships.

For the sake of the argument, let's emphasize that last point. Any argument concerning player comparisons always brings in the small, little aside of the matter of championships into question. Kobe/MJ, Duncan/Garnett, you name it. Why is it that for the center position, this point is significantly less valued? I'm not proclaiming Russell's nine automatically places him at the top of the list either, but the defense of someone that won just two should raise a few red flags. It reeks inconsistency.
Exactly.

But it isn't Russell because those Celtic teams were stacked. I won't go out and say it was his fault and he should be penalized for it, but it should be taken into account. Yes, he helped contribute to that... But back the, there literally was no competition for the Celtics. They were as dominant as any of the great Yankee teams. Plus, I have a huge problem with calling someone #1 at their position if they are a career 44% shooter (at center).

SHAQ. :) 4 titles (3 finals MVPs) in the most competitive era of sport. He carried Kobe, a player many consider to be the #2 SG of all time, and possibly the best active player, to three titles... And then took D-Wade to win one. He's got the titles, and if you want stats just scroll up.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
LMAO at you guys who really think Shaq is the best of all time, I mean really? I mean, better than Wilt? Kareem? Russell? Hakeem?

He might be better than ONE of those guys, but he isn't better than all four of them. Noway.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
As for the most competitive thing with Shaq, which centers did Shaq go up against? Especially when he started winning titles (since that's all anyone wants to talk about), who were the centers he went up against in the league? Yao? That's really, it.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
As for the most competitive thing with Shaq, which centers did Shaq go up against? Especially when he started winning titles (since that's all anyone wants to talk about), who were the centers he went up against in the league? Yao? That's really, it.
Just to name a few: Alonzo Mourning, Dikembe Mutombo, David Robinson, Ben Wallace, Dwight Howard were the top centers when Shaq won his 4 rings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%