Thierry Henry to the MLS

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
France's Thierry Henry has signed a deal to play for the New York Red Bulls of the MLS, according to media reports.

Henry, whose season with Barcelona finished Sunday, will play for the French team at the World Cup in South Africa next month before joining the Red Bulls, The Boston Globe and SI.com have reported.

Henry, 32, still has a year left on his contract with Barcelona. He holds the mark for most French national team goals with 51.
wow. another big international name for the MLS. would be killer if this leads to even more

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Sadly I don't think anyone coming to the MLS will get America excited for the MLS.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I got a little excited reading it. This is dope.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I mean he is a great player, but up until I read that article I've never heard of the NY Red Bulls.

The MLS just doesn't appeal to me at all. Europe seems to be the only place where they play hard.

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
used to be the MetroStars.

but if these well known players keep coming over to MLS for additional PT, it could bring up rep of league within eyes of fans

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It might raise some attention, but MLS will never be considered a major sport in the USA.

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
in the US? prob not anytime soon, but Hispanics are the fastest growing population in the US

mg91

Mr. Man Utd
Reaction score
Lucy pricks.

All we get is Robbie <Censored>ing Fowler in Australia :(

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
New York loves a winner and Henry is definitely that. I'd go watch him play in person & I am not the World's biggest soccer fan. I've seen about 4 soccer games in person, lifetime, the most recent was watching the Philadelphia Union last month.

JoshHoward5

LONG LIVE THE CHARIOT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
This does spark my interest in the MLS. With this I might go see a FC Dallas game now.

sheed

Hi.
Reaction score
Sadly I don't think anyone coming to the MLS will get America excited for the MLS.
I beg to differ. If a lot of international stars start signing with the MLS it will become huge in the US.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I beg to differ. If a lot of international stars start signing with the MLS it will become huge in the US.
I beg to differ as well. I am a casual soccer fan that can name a hell of a lot more international players than I can MLS players. 1 Thierry Henry signing to play for a team within a reasonable proximity to where I live is more than enough to spark my interest.

Just imagine if say Cristiano Ronaldo (sooner or later) signed with the Galaxy right now.

sheed

Hi.
Reaction score
Yeah, a LOT of people would start watching it. Because everyone in the states right now watches international soccer because they know who the big name players are. They have no idea who 95% of the players in the MLS are. And when they start coming here, they will start watching the MLS also. I know I would. I just wish Detroit had a team.

mg91

Mr. Man Utd
Reaction score
No offense guys...but you lot had Pele, George Best and Beckenbauer all playing in the US at one point. Beckham hasn't done much besides an initial few weeks of excitement and I'm not sure if Henry will make a profound difference either.

But anyway, I've been lucky enough to watch him play in the flesh a number of times. He's been to Australia with the French national team, and I was lucky enough to be in attendance at the Nou Camp when he made his Champions League debut for Barcelona in a 3-0 win over Lyon. The guy is a special, special talent, and I say that being a United fan. I hope you all appreciate how lucky you are to have a talent like him playing in your domestic league.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Thierry Henry? Whose that? Sounds like some french guy.....

getyappcrnredy24

maybe god. live with soul, never die.
Reaction score
the thing I've always said about the whole 'trying to make soccer bigger in the US' is that by bringing all these people here, isn't going to make people who didn't care about the game before, care about it now. Maybe some people that liked soccer and are now seeing more people come to the US are going to watch more MLS and whatnot, but it's not going to make all these people that hated soccer or never cared at all about it. Know what I'm sayin? But yeah I'ma try to a game now maybe

Oiler35

Reaction score
I've been to a few TFC games, and it's some of the most fun you will ever have. I recommend you guys go see some games, especially if you're at the New York Redbull's stadium.

sheed

Hi.
Reaction score
I wish I could go to a few games, but Detroit doesn't have a team. I think they are trying to get one here, that would be cool.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%