Russell Westbrook > Derrick Rose

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I truly feel that if given the opportunity to be "the guy", Westbrook could be the best PG in basketball, and be close to Wade in terms of overall best player in the league.
:duhfuck:

Did you just say Wade is the best player in the league?

ZigZag

TEH GREAT ZIGGY
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Its not all about scoring.

Westbrook is far better defensively and is just as good of a passer.

And he easily could be a primary option; he has the second highest Usage Rate in the league
Being the number one option also affects playmaking ability. Derrick is getting guarded by every teams' number one perimeter defender. You say Westbrook is as good as a passer, but how come he's averaging significantly less assists with two of the best scorers in the league to pass to? Last I checked, Rose doesn't even have a legitimate number 2 option.

Back on my topic though, they are very similar. Rose is the better passer, Westbrook is the better defender. I'd then look at efficiency, which goes to Westbrook by a good margin. Also, Rose takes way too many 3s. Westbrook should cut down a little as well, but he's not throwing up 5 a game like Rose.
Pretty sure Rose has a slightly better player efficiency rating... Don't know what you mean when you say efficiency goes to Westbrook

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm not talking about PER. I don't even know what PER is.

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
It's pretty easy to make an argument for Russell Westbrook when Derrick Rose has been hampered by injuries all season and has missed 10 straight games.

If Rose was healthy all season this wouldn't even be a debate, methinks. All of the love Russell Westbrook is getting is premature. Just last year, we all thought he was hampering the Thunder in the playoffs by taking bad shots and holding the ball for entire possessions, which shouldn't happen with any PG. I recall two years ago when the Thunder gave LAL fits in the first round. I think I enjoyed watching Russell Westbrook more back then, when he'd lead the break with his blazing speed. He was the cog that made OKC tick. Had he kept that mentality, where he led the break and dished, he could be setting up KD or Ibaka for alley oops, KD for jump shots or threes, or Harden for threes like none other. There is absolutely no excuse for Derrick Rose to be a better passer and have a higher assist total. None whatsoever. Had Westbrook balanced his passing ability with his want to be the best player on his team, he might be better than Rose by now. Who knows?

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
Aside from that, at no point will Russell Westbrook be a better player than Kevin Durant, and RW needs to get over that.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
It's pretty easy to make an argument for Russell Westbrook when Derrick Rose has been hampered by injuries all season and has missed 10 straight games.

If Rose was healthy all season this wouldn't even be a debate, methinks. All of the love Russell Westbrook is getting is premature. Just last year, we all thought he was hampering the Thunder in the playoffs by taking bad shots and holding the ball for entire possessions, which shouldn't happen with any PG. I recall two years ago when the Thunder gave LAL fits in the first round. I think I enjoyed watching Russell Westbrook more back then, when he'd lead the break with his blazing speed. He was the cog that made OKC tick. Had he kept that mentality, where he led the break and dished, he could be setting up KD or Ibaka for alley oops, KD for jump shots or threes, or Harden for threes like none other. There is absolutely no excuse for Derrick Rose to be a better passer and have a higher assist total. None whatsoever. Had Westbrook balanced his passing ability with his want to be the best player on his team, he might be better than Rose by now. Who knows?
Speak for yourself

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Being the number one option also affects playmaking ability. Derrick is getting guarded by every teams' number one perimeter defender. You say Westbrook is as good as a passer, but how come he's averaging significantly less assists with two of the best scorers in the league to pass to? Last I checked, Rose doesn't even have a legitimate number 2 option.
1. That's false. He is guarded by other teams best defensive guard. So does Westbrook.
2. You clearly have never seen a Thunder or Bulls game before. For Chicago, DRose takes the ball up, where he decides to shoot, drive, or pass.
Durant and Harden both bring the ball up in addition to Westbrook. So Westbrook can't be a good PG because KD runs isolations all the time, whether as the guy who brings the ball up or someone who catches the ball up top and runs iso? Durant takes a long time with his ISOs when he drives, so Westbrook sometimes loses the assist because it takes too long

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Aside from that, at no point will Russell Westbrook be a better player than Kevin Durant, and RW needs to get over that.
So Dwyane Wade can't ever be the best SG in the league, because he isn't better than LeBron?

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't know how it's calculated, and I'm not too interested in finding out.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't know how it's calculated, and I'm not too interested in finding out.
Oh I get ya. I think it's somewhat useful, but these people that live and die by it? It's flawed. I do know of one way it's calculated, basically the more shots you jack up the higher your per can become.

bestkeptsecret13

Chicago's Finest
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Good god...

I didn't read anything more from this thread after I saw something about John Lucas.

John Lucas is straight garbage.

It's easy to say Westbrook is having a better year in a season where Rose has missed significant time due to injury...

How quickly they forget how great this guy was last season. SMH

ZigZag

TEH GREAT ZIGGY
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
1. That's false. He is guarded by other teams best defensive guard. So does Westbrook.
2. You clearly have never seen a Thunder or Bulls game before. For Chicago, DRose takes the ball up, where he decides to shoot, drive, or pass.
Durant and Harden both bring the ball up in addition to Westbrook. So Westbrook can't be a good PG because KD runs isolations all the time, whether as the guy who brings the ball up or someone who catches the ball up top and runs iso? Durant takes a long time with his ISOs when he drives, so Westbrook sometimes loses the assist because it takes too long
1. You must have missed LeBron covering Derrick Rose.
2. I watch every Thunder or Bulls game I see on TV because they are both hella fun to watch. If Westbrook was a better playmaker I think we would see him taking the ball up the court more. What does Durant's ISOs have to do with it? A good playmaker creates shots for his teammates so they don't have to do it themselves. Durant's tendencies haven't seemed to affect Westbrooks scoring stats, so why should it negatively affect his assists? He can choose to pass or score, and chooses to score.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
:duhfuck:

Did you just say Wade is the best player in the league?
No I didnt

I said Westy could be in that second tier with Wade for BP.

LBJ/KD are 1st tier, Wade/Howard/Bryant are 2nd. I said RW could poissibly join that group with Wade

footballplaya52

Solo Dolo
Reaction score
No I didnt

I said Westy could be in that second tier with Wade for BP.

LBJ/KD are 1st tier, Wade/Howard/Bryant are 2nd. I said RW could poissibly join that group with Wade
ah hell nah

you didnt just put wade in 2nd tier.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
to me Russell is a 2 guard playing out of position and Rose is a true PG
Rose scores a lot sure, but he's a better PG than Russell

If Russell played SG, his turnovers would drop and everyone would think even higher of him. he'd instantly be the 2nd best 2 guard in the league

Russell is a mini young Kobe

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
So Dwyane Wade can't ever be the best SG in the league, because he isn't better than LeBron?
How did you get that from my post? Can you read? Being the best player on your team has nothing to do with being the best player at your position.

For the record, I'll take LeBron over Wade.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
How did you get that from my post? Can you read? Being the best player on your team has nothing to do with being the best player at your position.

For the record, I'll take LeBron over Wade.
So would everyone, dipwad

You said
That literally means nothing. How is Westbrook's status as a PG affected by his rank on his team?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%