Rockets sign Harden to richest contract, ever

buzzy

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
So isn't Houston paying 40 million to Harden better than Golden State paying Steph 11 million and being able to sign another MVP from a small market?

If you want small markets to succeed you need to give them the option to pay their own players way more money, or have teams with stars on their teams already not be able to sign more stars.

It does backfire though if teams feel their player is not worth the big extension and ship him off with little return value

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
In a way, yes. But that would be a player choice, not the team.

Maybe in just behind on the times. Maybe there's no easy solution, idk.

I just see superstars making $40m a year and shit players like Hardaway making +$15M a year and it just pisses me off.

buzzy

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Paying someone 40 million to play a game isn't any more absurd than 20 million.

We were just used to 15-20 million max salaries for a while that it feels weird now. But it's always been just relative to the cap.

BNC

Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
Has nothing to do with hardaway. This money is absurd, all around.

Also has fucking nothing to do with billionaire owners. The cap isn't set by the value of the owners.

A big point of the new cba was to give small market teams a chance to keep up with big markets, and keep their players. But the cap size is screwing it up. Not sure how you guys can't see that.

You think Memphis, for example, is going to give someone $200M or more?
The cap is directly related to basketball revenue, Memphis is making more money now than they ever did, so yes they would give someone over $200M if that player qualified for that extension/contract. They gave Conley $150M last summer. The cap isn't screwing this up for small market teams at all

BNC

Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
In a way, yes. But that would be a player choice, not the team.

Maybe in just behind on the times. Maybe there's no easy solution, idk.

I just see superstars making $40m a year and shit players like Hardaway making +$15M a year and it just pisses me off.
Lol why?

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
.... oh wait, was that not rhetorical?

Also yes, team's like Memphis are making more now than ever but that's because of the revenue from tv contracts. From what I understood the cba was made to give players an incentive to stay with their original team, because big markets like NY, Chicago, LA will make more $$ anyway.

Maybe im too drunk and am forgetting something, idk. Like I said, I don't like the direction this is going.

Paulius

Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
I am drunk though so I'm just gonna shut up.
No, preach

Youre entitled to your own opinion

BNC

Reaction score
Nothing you're really saying is making sense. There's more money all around, players get 50% of every dollar generated by basketball revenue the owner/teams get the other half. Every team is making more money so they can afford to pay their players more regardless of the market they operate in. The Lakers earning more money doesn't allow them to pay players anymore than OKC, Memphis, or Orlando can

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
BNC said:
Nothing you're really saying is making sense. There's more money all around, players get 50% of every dollar generated by basketball revenue the owner/teams get the other half. Every team is making more money so they can afford to pay their players more regardless of the market they operate in. The Lakers earning more money doesn't allow them to pay players anymore than OKC, Memphis, or Orlando can
teams like LA do make more money tho. you can not tell me the pistons are just as valuable as the lakers, and that is what plays a part in not wanting to pay that top dollar.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
My stance is since the players are the product they're worth that much money in that perspective. If anything they're worth more and I too am against their being a max. But a bigger perspective would be that no one deserves that much money for playing sports but I just can't hear somebody who watches sports and buy sports merchandise say they get paid too much. It's stupid people like us who watch the sport and care about a game that has no really effect on us therefore they're going to get paid.

BNC

Reaction score
Father Pugzo said:
teams like LA do make more money tho. you can not tell me the pistons are just as valuable as the lakers, and that is what plays a part in not wanting to pay that top dollar.
It didn't stop the Pistons from giving Drummond a max contract, and it won't stop them in the future if the player is worth a max

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
All that money to be the one guy playing a halfcout pickup game while everyone else covers his ass on defense.

Unearned.

Paulius

Reaction score
BwareDWare94 said:
All that money to be the one guy playing a halfcout pickup game while everyone else covers his ass on defense.

Unearned.
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] hes back! And better than ever!

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
BNC said:
It didn't stop the Pistons from giving Drummond a max contract, and it won't stop them in the future if the player is worth a max
teams like la will pay the luxury tax and teams like detroit wont.

BNC

Reaction score
Father Pugzo said:
teams like la will pay the luxury tax and teams like detroit wont.
Eh, I don't know. The Heat were doing the best they could to avoid paying the tax when they had LeBron and Micky Arison is one of the wealthiest owners in the league 

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
BNC said:
Eh, I don't know. The Heat were doing the best they could to avoid paying the tax when they had LeBron and Micky Arison is one of the wealthiest owners in the league 
the lower market teams will not want to pay the taxes.

going back to what you said about drummond, we maxed him, and just chose to let kcp walk. we didnt want to pay him and the tax and be stuck. we're still stuck, but slightly better, and next year we'll have to deal with the same situation

BNC

Reaction score
Father Pugzo said:
the lower market teams will not want to pay the taxes.

going back to what you said about drummond, we maxed him, and just chose to let kcp walk. we didnt want to pay him and the tax and be stuck. we're still stuck, but slightly better, and next year we'll have to deal with the same situation
True, lower market teams are less likely to pay the tax, but Cleveland is right now. This also has more to do with how the CBA is set up and less to do with how much money is in the league right now. 

If KCP were better I imagine the Pistons would have been more willing to offer him the max. The issue with KCP commanding that much money has to do with the fact that there are max contracts to begin with, which is an entirely different conversation and something that likely won't ever change

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%