Rate your teams offseason

BrewCrewFan

Reaction score
How do you think your favorite team did this off-season? What moves do you like/dislike?

Ian

Commissioner
Reaction score
As a Mets fan, I give it a big A. They did what every Met fan asked them to; sign Yoenis Cespedes, while filling a bridge between now and a new era of Dilson Herrera with the Neil Walker trade, as well as upgrading the bullpen and bringing back Bartolo.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
A lot of Tribe fans wanted more but it was unrealistic to expect anything other than what we got. Rajai Davis tracked a ball earlier tonight and made basket catch, over-the-shoulder, that we wouldn't have seen from Bourn's hobbled ass. Davis is a great addition....a guy who absolutely raked against us while in Detroit. I like the additions Napoli, Uribe, and Joba as well. Each underrated, none will break records, but great clubhouse guys. Looking for that Red Sox 2013-type of season.

Big Papi

Say hello to me please
Reaction score
Yah know, I will give the Red Sox a B+. I was going to say an A, but I'll let my bias aside.

We got Kimbrel and Carson Smith, whom is now injured, but nonetheless we tried to improve an area of great weakness. Now the only reason I did not give the Sox an A rating for this off-season is because of one man still being here, and yes he is Pablo Sandoval. I know it was probably impossible to deal him off so no fault to the FO, however the guy is just a cancer to the clubhouse, also Shaw is more than ready for the everyday 3B role.

Panic!

Reaction score
Yankees B

They got Chapman and Castro for almost nothing.

But they didn't solve the 2 biggest problems of the team: Power and Starting Pitchers

Aside from Teixeira (who's health is a question mark), I don't see anyone hitting more than 30 HRs (maybe ARod?)

And they still have Sabathia in their rotation. They also need an ace, the rotation is filled with #2 or #3 pitchers (Eovaldi, Pineda, Tanaka, Severino), but no aces.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Yea I'll give the Mets a B+. My main concern is they don't intend to have Plawecki start the year as our backup catcher because they don't want to hinder his development - but they didn't go out and acquire a reliable backup. I really want someone who can come in and actually throw out runners at 2nd. That's the one major fault this offseason. OTher than that, I liked the moves for Cespedes, Bastardo, Blevins, Walker & Cabrera.

catman

Reaction score
Twins get a C-. They traded from a position of strength -- Aaron Hicks for JR Murphy, picked up a strikeout machine that can hit the ball a mile if he connects -- BH Park. They picked up a couple of bullpen arms.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Panic! said:
Yankees B

They got Chapman and Castro for almost nothing.

But they didn't solve the 2 biggest problems of the team: Power and Starting Pitchers

Aside from Teixeira (who's health is a question mark), I don't see anyone hitting more than 30 HRs (maybe ARod?)

And they still have Sabathia in their rotation. They also need an ace, the rotation is filled with #2 or #3 pitchers (Eovaldi, Pineda, Tanaka, Severino), but no aces.
Give the Yankees an A+ for not splurging. They have enough to compete and can always swing a deadline deal if they find themselves in the hunt. I really like the Red Sox bringing in Price but his deal will mimic that of Sabathia in a few years. The Yanks just need to remain patient and wait for the Bryce Harper bidding in 2018.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Time for my Reds critique: F

The inability to trade Brandon Phillips continues to haunt us. He isn't the first player in history to take a hard stance on waiving his NTC. Where are the Reds' front office execs to sit down with Phillips and work something out? The return for Todd Frazier is very underwhelming and the Chapman return was awful. I understand the club not wanting to deal with the domestic violence incident but they could've commanded a king's ransom by waiting until the deadline to deal him.

Frazier combines to be worth 9 WAR over the last 2 seasons. Chapman has been worth 4.6 WAR in just 120.1 innings and all we really have to show for both is Schebler and Peraza.

brett05

Reaction score
My team is the White Sox. They grade out at a 'B' right now.
The team was in dire need of a slugging OF that can strikeout less then 130 times a year. They passed on all the FA options. They could have gone the trade route with a team like Colorado, but decided to keep the few top specs they have in Fulmer and Anderson.
What did they do to get a 'B' then?
They traded specs that they really had no use for and probably aren't even single appearance AS players for a bonifide 3b in Frazier.
They traded two more non-top 30 org specs to the A's for Lawrie to man 2b for the team.
They rebuilt the catching position with Avila and Navarro
They got Latos for a song which may or may not help.
They lost LaRoche and his $13 million which will help with IFA as well as a trade deadline move if they are in contention.
Two additional changes they made were:
Batting stance with Avisail Garcia seems to have helped albeit thru ST. He could be an AS this year if it carries thru to the regular season
John Danks was tipping his pitches. Navarro recognized it and Danks has gone on to throw 11 scoreless. Again, only ST, but a very positive move.

Finally, the team added the next manager of the team in Renteria.

Could have been an A plus with a slugging OF and the odds on favorite in the AL, but alas, no big bat came.

Hopesfail

Reaction score
Dodgers get a solid B. They didn't overpay to keep Greinke, they didn't overpay in FA, they added some really nice pieces through a couple trades, and didn't lose in any trade I feel like. I am a big fan of the new front office and their rebuilding of the minor league system. They also worked out a creative contract for Maeda, where if he doesn't work out, they aren't on the hook for tons of money, but so far in ST he hasn't looked really good. The one move I questioned was signing Utley for as much as they did, but it was slightly offset when the market for Kendrick never developed and they were able to re-sign him on the cheap. Dave Roberts seems to be doing alright with everything so far, so I'm excited to see how this season turns out.

SavagenFailo

Reaction score
I give the Diamondbacks an A.

Would give them an A+ but they traded what could have been the teams franchise SS in Dansby Swanson.

They did address the need for Starting Pitchers in a huge way. I like the Grienke signing. Gives the team a solid #1 guy and a huge presence in the clubhouse. I am not too hyped up for Shelby Miller because of what they gave up but its one of those deals where you need to see it happen on field.

Nonsense

Reaction score
For the first time in a long time, I was actually pleased with Arizona's offseason. Yes, they paid a lot for Zack and Shelby, but i think it was well worth it. Segura has been a nice surprise this spring, hopefully it translates to the regular season. A solid A in my book.

Mudge

Reaction score
Cubs (A-) did well, especially since they didn't have much to do except bolster the outfield (Jason Heyward) and add one more decent middle-of-the-rotation starting pitcher (Lackey).

Zobrist is a timely addition as no one is really sure yet that Baez can consistently hit big-league pitching (same holds true for Soler).

Adam Warren gives some flexibilty; he can start or relieve.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Based strictly off the offseason and how ready each team is to compete in 2016 (I don't know every team, just guesstimating some):

Red Sox- C
Yankees- C
Blue Jays- D
Rays- D-
Orioles- D-

Royals- C
White Sox- C
Twins- D-
Indians- C-
Tigers- C

Astros- D
A's- D
Angels- D
Mariners- B-
Rangers- D

Mets- C
Marlins- D (not sure they needed to make many moves though)
Braves- D (traded players for farm)
Nationals- B
Phillies- F

Reds- F
Cubs- A (Heyward and Lackey)
Cardinals- C-
Pirates- C
Brewers- D

Giants- B+ (Cueto + Shark is great. Both are NL pitchers, but they're durable. Don't forget Span to add to an already great NL team).
Dodgers- C (I'm not sold Maeda and Kazmir match the loss of Greinke)
Diamondbacks- C+ (Adding Greinke was good, but adding one player to a mediocre team doesn't solve the problem. Miller is overrated)
Padres- D
Rockies- F (probably the most incompetent management in MLB)

I'm a tough grader, but I honestly feel only a few teams can really "win" the offseason.

RunSoHard

Reaction score
Phillies fan. Outside of Franco, don't see much happening.

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
A

Cubs addressed all the holes they had on the roster. Improved the rotation significantly by replacing Haren with Lackey. Improved contact and OBP in the lineup by adding Heyward and Zobrist, not to mention the drastic improvement defensively both will provide. Bullpen got better with Warren, and the bench got much better with Baez and Soler being there to spot start.

Not to mention the 2 biggest additions came from the team that won the division last year.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
JZSportswhiz said:
A

Cubs addressed all the holes they had on the roster. Improved the rotation significantly by replacing Haren with Lackey. Improved contact and OBP in the lineup by adding Heyward and Zobrist, not to mention the drastic improvement defensively both will provide. Bullpen got better with Warren, and the bench got much better with Baez and Soler being there to spot start.

Not to mention the 2 biggest additions came from the team that won the division last year.
I wouldn't be so quick to say Lackey is an improvement. I agree with you,Cubs get an A, and I think signing Lackey was a smart move, but let's remember that he is aging fast. I can see some Jake Peavy in him.

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
I wouldn't be so quick to say Lackey is an improvement. I agree with you,Cubs get an A, and I think signing Lackey was a smart move, but let's remember that he is aging fast. I can see some Jake Peavy in him.
He pitched like an ace last year. I'm sure he will regress a bit, but Dan Haren was not good at all last year and the Cubs struggled most of the year with their #5 starter. Lackey has to be one of the best SP slotted #3 in their teams rotation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%