Panthers Narrow it Down to Three

TTN2810

Reaction score
I guess we disagree on what a #1 QB should be. But besides the fact, Newton does play like them. He ran for over 100 yards 6 times, and getting over 200 yards once. He can run, and is his stats over rate his passing. I can guarantee Ben didn't run for over 100 yards 6 times. Newton will be able to run in the NFL. Not to the level he did in college, but like VY did in his rookie year.

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
Cam Newton I feel is a side of the line type pick.

I think Newton will never be a top elite QB like most are. If he does good, his upside is likely a decent/good QB (David Garrard mixed with McNabb now. )

If he fails, jesus may god bless the Panthers.

Could be worse then Vince Young AND Akili Smith.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He runs, but it's not the style of running that Vick and Young run like. He is a power runner, and I expect that he'll be using his running style to extend plays, similar to Ben in the pros. The system he played in call for running the ball a lot out of his position, but he wont be playing that system. He'll run when he has to, but what I hope he would be doing is just using his legs to keep passing plays alive, and hit receivers on broken routes. Going to take him a year, maybe two to adjust to the pro style offense, but with his talent, he can be a franchise QB.

TTN2810

Reaction score
See, he's not as power as everyone is making him out to be. He is very elusive. I love that about him. Very elusive for his size. And he will be looking to run. That's what he is. If his first WR isn't there, he will run. And eventually, people are going to put pressure on him for doing that, so he will force himself to stay in the pocket, never run, and that is where I think he will fail.

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
I seriously think and always thought Cam Newton was another Akili Smith.

TTN2810

Reaction score

Cheato, go to 0:23 in this video and I'll show you what I mean.
He is very elusive. He has power and uses it, but he isn't just a power runner.

Mooche

Reaction score
TTN - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53FAyEJaDH0

That's power as well, my friend.

This is how the Panthers should be looking at it anyways. A.J Green and PP are the two most talented players in the Draft, and then you toss in Cam Newton as the possible signal caller. Really no shock at all.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Being elusive to go with his power is no penalty. Like I said, he has all the tools to be a great QB, he just has to put it together and learn the pro style offense.

TTN2810

Reaction score
No I know he has power guys. He's not just power, like many say he is. People say he won't be able to run through linebackers in the NFL. No he wont. But he has the elusiveness to run, and I think he's almost as elusive as VY was. And I watched a lot of VY.

I personally just wouldn't touch him until about 20. And I know I could be super wrong about him, but I just think he's too much of a risk.

Mooche

Reaction score
Nobody is saying he isn't high risk/high reward. Well. Anyone who who has a brain, anyways.

I really think he has one of the highest ceilings of any prospect in the Draft, but his bust potential is definitely there and he'll have to answer those questions. To me, I think Carolina will and most likely should take Newton if they really wanted a signal caller. They've seen a lot of Jimmy Clausen, and this is likely a sign that the kid isn't maturing or growing like they really thought he could. He's still obviously young, but this franchise needs help.

TTN2810

Reaction score
I just find it funny that the one guy who still supports Clausen likes Cam. That guy cleary has a good eye for a good character to build a team around.

But I know Newton has a ton of potential. Almost un-limitless. Much like Kaepernick.
But the thing is, is all this "fake smile" stuff, and just all the reports about his character make me believe he won't even come close to his potential.

I would personally take Kaepernick over Newton. All the same potential, hell, maybe more, he has a better arm and is a lot faster, plus he has a great head on his shoulders, and is very smart.

The one physical thing Newton has over Kaepernick is deep accuracy.

Mooche

Reaction score
I just find it funny that the one guy who still supports Clausen likes Cam. That guy cleary has a good eye for a good character to build a team around.

But I know Newton has a ton of potential. Almost un-limitless. Much like Kaepernick.
But the thing is, is all this "fake smile" stuff, and just all the reports about his character make me believe he won't even come close to his potential.

I would personally take Kaepernick over Newton. All the same potential, hell, maybe more, he has a better arm and is a lot faster, plus he has a great head on his shoulders, and is very smart.

The one physical thing Newton has over Kaepernick is deep accuracy.
First of all, I think that "fake smile" stuff is a load. I mean, we can have this common perception of guys being assholes and stuff, and yes, I think Newton probably did fake some of his smiling and what not. I would after how many interviews and shit he takes.. We just really don't know.

Eh. I don't think Kap has THAT much better of an arm than Newton. And I think Newton has a higher ceiling, from the versatility aspect and just on pure growth really.

TTN2810

Reaction score
Kaepernick has more zip on the ball. More than Mallett even. It was a test at the combine. 59 MPH for Kaepernick, 58 for Mallett.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%