Official Minor League Hockey Thread

LeafsFan4Life

Reaction score
It's actually really good hockey, and some of the guys have really nice hands (Gemel Smith, RJ Mahalak or Alex Aleardi).
You say that like you were surprised. Were you expecting it to not be good hockey or something?..

kuley

Reaction score
I wasn't sure to be honest, I mean, they're still kids and I hadn't heard about any of the Owen Sound players or Plymouth players except for maybe 5 at the most.

LeafsFan4Life

Reaction score
Hishon plays for the Attack and he was a first round pick last year. Blacker was drafted by the Leafs in the 2nd round a couple years ago as well.

Major junior hockey is great hockey.

kuley

Reaction score
I knew of Hishon and Blacker on Owen Sound and Devane (Leafs pick?) and Restoule (Friends cousin) on Plymouth and I think there was one more.. maybe not.

It really is. I might go see Owen Sound face London on Saturday which I would think would be a pretty good game. Then after that maybe I'll go see the Attack in the playoffs or the Majors and Brampton in the playoffs. Maybe even Niagara.

LeafsFan4Life

Reaction score
The 10 finalists for the Hobey Baker Award were announced.

The Hobey Baker Award is celebrating its 30th Anniversary and on Thursday announced the top ten candidates for the 2011 award honoring college hockey’s top player. Alphabetically, they are: Cam Atkinson, Boston College, Carter Camper, Miami of Ohio, Jack Connolly, Minnesota-Duluth, Matt Frattin, North Dakota, Andy Miele, Miami of Ohio, Gustav Nyquist, Maine, Chase Polacek, Rensselear, Justin Schultz, Wisconsin, Paul Thompson, New Hampshire and Paul Zanette, Niagara.

The ten finalists were selected by voting from all 58 Division I college hockey head coaches and by online fan balloting at Hobey Baker Memorial Award Foundation. Next, the 23-member Selection Committee and an additional round of fan balloting (at Hobey Baker Memorial Award Foundation from March 18-27) will determine this year’s Hobey Baker winner. Criteria for the award include: strength of character on and off the ice, displaying outstanding skills in all phases of the game, sportsmanship and scholastic achievements.

The Hobey Hat Trick of three finalists will be announced on March 31, 2011 and the Hobey Baker Award winner will be announced Friday, April 8, 2011 from the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, Minn., during the NCAA Frozen Four. The announcement will be aired live on ESPNU at 6:00 p.m. CT. Following, in alphabetical order, is a look at each finalist.

Cam Atkinson – Boston College, Junior, Forward, Greenwich, Connecticut
The defending national champions finished atop Hockey East this past season and for the second straight year, Atkinson led his team in scoring. A First Team all-star, he again led Hockey East in conference goals per game and is tied for third nationally in goal scoring with 28 tallies and 20 assists in 36 games.
• Has scored 58 goals the past two seasons – has 8 power play goals
• His 4 shorthanded goals is tied for second in nation – 15 multiple point games
• Communications major – Columbus draft pick

Carter Camper – Miami University of Ohio, Senior, Forward, Rocky River, Ohio
The scoring whiz has been a college hockey rarity, recording over 40 in each of his four seasons. A co- captain, Camper is third in the nation in assists with 35 in 36 games played. A CCHA First Team all-star and the circuit’s Scholar-Athlete of the Year award winner, Camper has been very active in community service activities.
• Has recorded 17 goals and 35 assists in 36 games – has scored 8 power play goals
• Hockey Coaches Assoc. Player of the Month for October
• Psychology major with 3.62 GPA – Lowe’s Senior Class Award finalist

Jack Connolly – University of Minnesota-Duluth, Junior, Forward, Duluth, Minnesota
The play-making key on college hockey’s highest scoring line, Connolly is presently tied for third in the nation in scoring with 54 points and is second in assists with 39. He has been named a WCHA First Team all-star two straight years and has more points in the past two seasons, than any other WCHA player.
• Has scored 15 goals and 39 assists in 37 games – led team in scoring past 2 years
• Finished second in WCHA conference scoring race – played 120 straight games
• Communications major and twice on Dean’s list – active community volunteer

Matt Frattin – University of North Dakota, Senior, Forward, Edmonton, Alberta
A great break out season propelled Frattin to the top of WCHA scoring charts and a regular season title for the Sioux. Currently tied for third in the nation in scoring, his 33 goals are best in the country and he is the only player with over 30 goals. He was also named the WCHA Player of the Year and a First Team all-star helping North Dakota to a number one national ranking.
• WCHA scoring champion with 40 points in 28 games – has 10 power play goals
• Overall, has 33 goals and 21 assists – 3 short handed goals leads WCHA
• Recreation and Tourism Studies major – Toronto draft pick

Andy Miele – Miami University of Ohio, Senior, Forward, Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan
The nation’s leading scorer by a whopping ten points, Miele won the CCHA conference scoring title with 56 points, the most in 19 years. His 40 league assists was more than the second place player had points, a first in league history. A First Team all-star, Miele is one of three finalists for Player of the Year. National Player of the Month for February.
• Has recorded 21 goals and 44 assists for 65 points in 36 games – assistant captain
• Multiple point games 20 times – has current points streak of 15 straight games
• American Studies major and Coaching minor – active community volunteer

Gustav Nyquist – University of Maine, Junior, Forward, Malmo, Sweden
A repeat candidate and Hobey Hat Trick finalist from last season, Nyquist has led Maine in scoring for two straight years. Named a Hockey East First Team all-star, he is presently tied for seventh in the nation in scoring with 51 points in 36 games. A gifted playmaker, he is tied for fourth in the nation in assists with 33.
• Tallied 18 goals and 33 assists for 51 pints in 36 games – assistant captain
• Won league awards three straight years (First Team twice and Rookie Team)
• Finance major – Detroit draft pick – teaches youth hockey

Chase Polacek – Rennselear Polytechnic Institute, Senior, Forward, Edina, Minnesota
The only other top ten finalist from last season, Polacek has also been named ECAC Player of the Year for the second straight season as well as First Team all-star. He has also won the ECAC scoring title two consecutive seasons and has an amazing nine game winning goals, best in the nation, and has chipped in with 11 power play goals.
• Scoring star had 21 goals and 27 assists in 37 games – assistant captain
• Led team in scoring 3 straight years – Lowe’s Senior Class Award finalist
• Business and Management major – multiple Dean’s List honoree

Justin Schultz – University of Wisconsin, Sophomore, Defense, West Kelowna, British Columbia
A scoring dynamo on the blue line, Schultz has 18 goals on the season, the most in college hockey in eight years. His 47 total points is seven more than the next closest defenseman and he was honored by the WCHA as a First Team all-star and the circuit’s Defensive Player of the Year. Deadly on the power play, his 26 power play points is best in the nation.
• Recorded 18 goals and 29 assists for 47 points in 41 games – 9 power play goals
• Led Wisconsin in scoring and topped the team with 14 multiple point games
• Life Sciences Communications major – Anaheim draft pick

Paul Thompson – University of New Hampshire, Senior, Forward, Derry, New Hampshire
One of the premiere scorers in Hockey East, Thompson led the league in most offensive categories this past season including 42 points in 27 games. Overall, his 52 points is tied for fifth in the country, while his 12 power play goals are tied for first in the nation. Thompson was named Hockey East Player of the Year and a First Team all-star.
• His totals are 28 goals and 24 assists for 52 points in 36 games – 7 game winners
• Tied for third in nation with 28 goals – has 16 multiple point games
• Health Management and Policy major

Paul Zanette – Niagara University, Senior, Forward, Nobleton, Ontario
First Hobey candidate with a last name starting with the letter Z. Phenomenal scoring pace has him second in the nation with 55 points in 35 games. More than doubled his scoring totals from a year ago and won Atlantic Hockey scoring title. That earned him Player of the Year honors as well as First Team all-star. He is second in the nation with 29 goals.
• Has scored 29 goals and 26 assists in 35 games – 10 power play goals
• First three seasons Niagara was in CHA conference
• Graduated Cum Laude in accounting and working on MBA
http://www.hobeybakeraward.com/news_article/show/82665?referrer_id=191323

kuley

Reaction score
Should I go see tonights game between Owen Sound and London? It's standing room, so i need to know if it's even worth it.

kuley

Reaction score
Last game of the season for Owen Sound though, think they'll rest their top players since they already have first place clinched? London will probably go all out to try to get ahead of Guelph and not have to face Owen Sound in the playoffs.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
I like Guelph a lot. Some good young players like Beck and Holland, and my dad's friend owns them.

kuley

Reaction score
So I ended up going to the game. Final score: 6-3. London has some really speedy guys upfront and some skilled guys on D, but it just seems like coaching could be the problem or maybe they just weren't playing that well. No one was moving their feet after the third or fourth goal and Bobkov who got the start wasn't very good.

Owen Sound only ended up resting Hishon, but their goalie played very well and some guys that I don't really know the names of (I think Zweep and Shaw?) Played well. It was fun to watch except for the third which was just boring. I'm not just saying this because he's a Leaf, but Jesse Blacker is really skilled, but needs to play a little better defensively and stop rushing the puck and getting caught. Really excited about him though.

kuley

Reaction score
Just shows how little I really know about the O.

The players just sorta seemed sluggish and weren't moving their feet when they were breaking out in the second half. In the first half they were great at it though. Not his fault i guess.

LeafsFan4Life

Reaction score
Matt Frattin scored in double overtime to give UND a 3-2 win over Denver and win the Broadmoor Trophy.

kuley

Reaction score
anyone wanna explain how this is possible? http://www.tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=358366

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
anyone wanna explain how this is possible? http://www.tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=358366
Holy shit, I am going to have to check out the highlights for that game. I hate when you play amazing, but your offence can't provide you any support.

kuley

Reaction score
\ I hate when you play amazing, but your offence can't provide you any support.
I know eh, makes me wanna kill everyone on my team and then quit hockey. I hate it even more when you're playing a weak team and then you let in a soft goal and your team can't get one in until the third period and then winning the game 2-1 or 3-1 instead of 5-0 or 6-0. I swear my team has to be the worst at scoring goals though. I swear whenever i'm on my game my team can't get more than 1 goal and we end up losing 2-1. frustrating as hell since that happens so often against the better teams in my league.

LeafsFan4Life

Reaction score
The Sea Dogs finished the season by beating the Rocket 7-2. What an amazing season. I was expecting a great season from them but not this good.

- Won the Jean Rougeau Trophy as the top regular season team for the 2nd year in a row with a 58-7-3 record for 119 points.
- Won the Robert Lebel Trophy as the team with best goals against average.
- Won the Luc Robitaille Trophy as the team with the most goals scored.
- Tied the QMJHL record for most wins in a season though the teams they are tied with did it back when the Q seasons were 70 and 72 games instead of 68.
-Were 32-0-2 at home to become the first Q team to not lose at home in regulation.

They will play the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles in the first round of the playoffs. Can't wait.

The Huskies had a terrible season as expected finishing last. It will all be worth it when they get to draft Nathan MacKinnon. Can't wait to watch him play.

The Wolves will play the 67's in the first round and they lost to them 7-3 today. I'm not expecting the Wolves to get past them and wouldn't be surprised to see a sweep but maybe they can pull off a surprise run to the final like they did in 2007. :yep:

LeafsFan4Life

Reaction score
OHL
Eastern Conference Quarterfinals:
Mississauga St. Michael’s Majors (1) vs. Belleville Bulls (8)
Ottawa 67’s (2) vs. Sudbury Wolves (7)
Niagara IceDogs (3) vs. Brampton Battalion (6)
Oshawa Generals (4) vs. Kingston Frontenacs (5)

Western Conference Quarterfinals:
Owen Sound Attack (1) vs. London Knights (8)
Saginaw Spirit (2) vs. Guelph Storm (7)
Kitchener Rangers (3) vs. Plymouth Whalers (6)
Windsor Spitfires (4) vs. Erie Otters (5)

QMJHL
Quarterfinals:
Saint John Sea Dogs (1) vs Cape Breton Screaming Eagles (16)
Montreal Juniors (2) vs Halifax Mooseheads (15)
Quebec Remparts (3) vs Val-d'Or Foreurs (14)
Drummondville Voltigeurs (4) vs Chicoutimi Sagueneens (13)
Gatineau Olympiques (5) vs Rimouski Oceanic (12)
Acadie-Bathurst Titan (6) vs Victoriaville Tigres (11)
Shawinigan Cataractes (7) vs PEI Rocket (10)
Lewiston MAINEiacs (8) vs Moncton Wildcats (9)

WHL
Eastern Conference Quarterfinals:
Saskatoon Blades (1) vs Prince Albert Raiders (8)
Red Deer Rebels (2) vs Edmonton Oil Kings (7)
Medicine Hat Tigers (3) vs Brandon Wheat Kings (6)
Kootenay Ice (4) vs Moose Jaw Warriors (5)

Western Conference Qaurterfinals:
Portland Winterhawks (1) vs Everett Silvertips (8)
Kelowna Rockets (2) vs Prince George Cougars (7)
Spokane Chiefs (3) vs Chilliwack Bruins (6)
Tri-City Americans (4) vs Vancouver Giants (5)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%