Player development is the way to go

And guess what, they already got the fucking crown Jewel. Zion

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
Sean Marks gets fired if the Nets trade 5 first round picks for an expiring contract who said he wants to be in LA, lets just start with that. The KG trade set them back 5 years, and to do so for a non-guarantee is ridiculous
But we arent arguing whether its smart of the Nets to offer it, just whether or not the pelicans would take it over the Celtics package

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Mexi said:
you pay big bucks to Jrue and Brogdon while your best player, Zion, is still cheap

It's a good plan
Yep, its been floated that they may offer him 20.5M a year, which Milwaukee couldnt match. Thats an overpay, but when you presumably get Zion on such a bargain rate, you can afford to overpay.

And even not in direct relation to Zion, look at other teams. Marc Gasol is overpaid. So is Serge Ibaka. Middleton will be starting next year. Regular season Iggy is vastly overpaid, Milsap is overpaid. But those teams don't regret any of those deals. They regret Tony Snell and Norman Powell. Portland regrets Meyers Leonard, and so on.

If you know a guy can be a core piece, it's hard to overpay him to an extent he hurts your ability to be great. But the guy who makes real money that can't see the court when it matters, that kills you.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
But we arent arguing whether its smart of the Nets to offer it, just whether or not the pelicans would take it over the Celtics package
Unless those future firsts are unprotected, I wouldnt take the BKN offer over Boston's. 

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
Correct. And I think if Griffin talks to Brooklyn and their goal is to trade for AD, while having the money to keep Russell's cap hold on the books and also have money for one max guy, I think the two could make it work knowing whats on the table.

Nets can pair Russell and AD with another max guy (Kyrie or KD potentially) and then find other pieces around them. Would instantly become East favorites if it was KD. And it would be his team, undoubtedly for the next few years.

I think at that point the Nets would consider it, and the Pelicans could probably get close to all I listed if not all of it.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
#17 and #27 and 3 future Nets firsts

or

#14, #20, #22, Grizzlies 1st (Top 6 protected in 2020, unprotected 2021)

Unless those futures have little/no protection, the Grizzlies pick is the only one with true value, and its still questionable.
Get the players with the most upside. That's not Spencer Dinwiddie and Jarrett Allen to me

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
you mean the plan of never getting more young talent because you're not bad enough to tank but not good enough to win a playoff series? 

its the new orleans special!!

Mexi said:
Not everyone wants to tank

Denver didn't
Milwaukee didn't
GSW didn't
Toronto didn't
Etc etc

Player development is the way to go

And guess what, they already got the fucking crown Jewel. Zion
Mexi gets it, bosox is still lost.

I literally outlined it above. You have the stud in Zion. You have a star in Jrue. You surround those two guys with great role players that fit with them (Brogdon, Allen, Harris, Levert, Dinwiddie, Crabbe, etc) and picks to take swings at gems in the mid to late first round to second round (another thing those teams Mexi mentioned have done exceptionally well, Siakam, Jokic, Brogdon, Harris, etc). Incredible depth. Defined pecking order. Defined roles. Cap flexibility moving forward. Brooklyn arguably becomes the favorite in the East. Win win for everyone.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
#17 and #27 and 3 future Nets firsts

or

#14, #20, #22, Grizzlies 1st (Top 6 protected in 2020, unprotected 2021)

Unless those futures have little/no protection, the Grizzlies pick is the only one with true value, and its still questionable.
Get the players with the most upside. That's not Spencer Dinwiddie and Jarrett Allen to me
Like I said earlier, Denver, Milwaukee, and Toronto are the argument for going potential and quantity over less quantity but a top flight guy.

Tatum has already proven hes not about playing behind guys. How would he react to taking a back seat to Jrue Holiday and more importantly, an 18 year old who has never played a game in the league? I have a feeling he wouldnt take to it. Like I said, your team is the walking example of why things that dont matter in 2K matter in real life.

Tatum is the top asset. Thats not arguable. But you dont always have to take the package with the best asset. Its about he collection of assets. The boxes you check off.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
AD meeting is happening today, btw.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
So many things here that its overwhelming me.

1. Jrue is not a star player, at all. He's a good starter, ideal 3rd-4th option. You're surely not winning shit with Jrue as your "star".
2. Why the hell would Tatum (or Ingram, or whoever they get for AD) take a backseat for Jrue Holiday? The whole point is to rebuild around young talent.
3. Tatum was not the issue with the Celtics chemistry problems, and in fact was one of the least affected by it. Rozier and potentially Jaylen were the ones causing a shitstorm about roles. Tatum was our #2 option this past season, and would be fine being the #2 option with Zion as #1. Those two are guys you build a franchise around.
4. Valuing a trade for how many mid round picks you can get is one of the dumbest takes I've heard. For every Siakam, Jokic, Brogdon, you're 10x more likely to draft Malachi Richardson, Johnny O'Bryant, Cleanthony Early, etc. I get banking on getting lottery picks to hit, but not late 1sts and 2nds lol. 

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Ok but you're missing the point

They already have Zion and holiday and whoever they trade Davis for

They'll miss on guys, but they'll also hit on guys with those later picks

Holiday is a star wtf bosox? He's absolutely a star

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Bosox has been delusional throughout this entire thing Mexi. Dont mind him. Waste of time.

Keep putting words in my mouth though bosox. Its making you look like an even bigger moron. Ive mentioned 2 or 3 times the point is about quantity and depth. Not once have I ever said youre judging the package off of how many mid to late picks youre getting.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
22/7/5
First team all defense

Not a star

Lol ok

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
This board has always had a huge issue with not living in the current time. It took the majority of this board 2-3 years to realize Deron Williams was trash, and there are countless other examples.

Jrue of 5 years ago wasnt a star, but this current Jrue absolutely is. There were only two players his year that averaged 21.2+ points and 7.7+ assists with a TS% of .555% or better. LeBron and...Jrue.

But yeah totally not a Star.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
jrue isnt a "star" though. good player? most definitely but not a star

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Over the past 5 years (I didnt feel like tracking it more), Jrue Holiday has zero All Star appearances and has 1 career All-NBA voting point (meaning over a five year span, only one person thought he should make the All-NBA 3rd team). 

Nobody is saying he's bad. I'd love to have Jrue on my team. But he's not a star

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If Jrue Holiday is a star player, how many star players are there in the league? 50? 60?

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
What constitutes a star? I think Steph is a "superstar." Harden is a "superstar." I think that's easy to define. But that line between just a good player and a star is an interesting discussion. What is Kyrie? Kemba? Russell? Conley?

Beal, Derozan, Booker, Butler? I'm serious when I say I find this to be a very interesting discussion.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Teagz said:
If Jrue Holiday is a star player, how many star players are there in the league? 50? 60?
Its a blurry line. Is Lillard a superstar or a star?

I don't necessarily think he's a superstar, but I think he's a little better than a star as well. It's somewhere in the middle.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
being the soon to be main player for your team, doesnt make a star. hes just your teams "star" player.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%