Lakers Reportedly Pursuing Cousins in Trade

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score

Lakers Reportedly Pursuing Cousins in Trade

According to Marc Stein of ESPN.com, the Los Angeles Lakers are bidding for Cousins' services:

The Los Angeles Lakers have emerged as one of the most determined trade suitors for Sacramento Kings All-Star center DeMarcus Cousins, according to league sources.
Sources told ESPN that the Lakers have been actively pursuing trade scenarios in recent weeks in attempt to construct a deal that would convince the Kings to part with Cousins.
Per Stein, the reports suggest the Lakers, Kings and Orlando Magic have been kicking the tires on a three-team trade that would bring Cousins to Los Angeles. Stein mentioned Orlando's Nikola Vucevic as a possible replacement for Cousins in that scenario.

One would imagine that draft picks would also play a part in any deal.

Nonetheless, Kings general manager Vlade Divac has maintained that he won't trade Cousins, responding to rumors by bluntly telling Ailene Voisin of the Sacramento Bee, "That is not happening."

Cousins would certainly be a major upgrade for the Lakers on the block. He averaged 24.1 points, 12.7 rebounds and 1.7 blocks per game this past season, continuing his ascension to one of the league's best centers. 

Even with some of the issues Cousins has had with the organization in the past, it would be surprising if the Kings got rid of him, though the team has seemed inclined to make a deal leading up to the draft, per Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated:

Chris Mannix ✔ @ChrisMannixSI

Sacramento has been clear in trade talks: Kings more than willing to move back into the teens if a team includes a proven player in a deal.

8:44 AM - 22 Jun 2015

But if the Kings fell in love with a player like Jahlil Okafor, they may be willing to move Cousins in a deal with the Lakers that involves the No. 2 pick. It will certainly be worth watching in the days leading up to the draft.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
wtf are they gonna trade? just their pick?

Tony H.

Reaction score
If the Lakers trade their second overall pick they are dumb. 

They like to flirt with their second pick, I say draft a player and build around him so this team can stay competitive throughout the years. If the trade involves trading late picks and a few players, it wouldn't be a bad idea.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't think the Kings would accept #2 for Cousins, and quite frankly I wouldn't blame them. While it's a guards league, and I would draft them over bigs, Cousins is only 24 and already a star, so there is 0% bust potential there.

buzzy

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Tony H. said:
If the Lakers trade their second overall pick they are dumb. 

They like to flirt with their second pick, I say draft a player and build around him so this team can stay competitive throughout the years. If the trade involves trading late picks and a few players, it wouldn't be a bad idea.
Cousins is young enough to build around and most likely better than anybody in this class ever will be.
The Kings would be dumb to trade him right now as he's entering his prime, but that being said, I honestly don't see DMC ever being really successful with the Kings. That franchise seems that inept

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I agree with Dan. Wouldn't trade just #2 for Cousins. 

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm with yall, id rather Boogie than KAT/Okafor or any of these guards

Still young enough to build around an finally starting to mature

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score

Kings coach George Karl is reportedly the leading force in trying to move Cousins, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports. The reported added, "Karl has been recruiting Kings vice president of basketball operations Vlade Divac and multiple players on the Kings' roster to unite with him in making the case to owner Vivek Ranadive that Cousins needs to be traded, league sources said."

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/613215873680207872?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

buzzy

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Proposed deal

Kings get Vuceivc, #5 and other picks
Magic get #2
Lakers get Cousins and #6

which would be a steal for LA

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Why do teams consistently bend over backwards for the Lakers?

But that's why I don't believe that. It's not as if Cousins is on a one year deal and in control of his future here. Lakers aren't moving down only 4 spots and getting Cousins as a result, that's absurd.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Hypothetically

What is a good deal for Boogie?

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
elcheato said:
Why do teams consistently bend over backwards for the Lakers?

But that's why I don't believe that. It's not as if Cousins is on a one year deal and in control of his future here. Lakers aren't moving down only 4 spots and getting Cousins as a result, that's absurd.

They're owed a lot after that Chris Paul bullshit

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Apparently they're considering trading him because their old as dirt coach who isn't even that good doesn't want him?

The Kings are running on Browns levels of dysfunction here.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
*Kings job interview*
Kings: Our best player is DeMarcus Cousins
Karl: I really hate that guy
Kings: Great, you start Monday

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
this franchise has got to be one of the worst ever

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Karl seems like an asshole, always thought so..

they think Karl is more important to the team then the best big in the league?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%