Dwightmare Over! 4-Way Deal

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
i know thats sarcasm so i wont reply lol.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
I honestly think he could stand to lose at least 15-25 pounds. I don't think he's fat, I just think it will help him in the long run because carrying 280-290 pounds isn't easy.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
i agree and im sure hes going to get in better body shape. his athleticism is there though. its just getting his game caught up so he doesnt need to rely on his natural ability.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
ORLANDO -- Let me present two scenarios and you select the circumstance you prefer and covet:

1) The Magic in complete rebuild mode with a plethora of financial flexibility, potentially high and rewarding draft picks the next two years and the opportunity to attract All-Star caliber free agents in that same time frame. As a result of being inexperienced and unproven, the Magic would deal with unavoidable growing pains. However, they would sense forthcoming success because of gradual improvement.

2) The Magic being a borderline playoff team every year for the next 3-5 seasons; being a No. 6-8 seed in the postseason and eliminated in the First Round every opportunity they do advance. Since they would be spending money on “B” talent to assure playoff opportunities in the short term, the Magic would not have financial flexibility or imminent gratifying draft picks to further evolve.

If I had to guess your choice, I would suppose option No. 1 (rebuild mode with forthcoming flexibility) would be favored.

For irrational reasons, however, the majority of the national media has concluded that option No. 2 (be good enough to contend for a playoff spot every year but not great to be championship worthy) would be the better alternative.

Let me be direct and sensible: this popular, yet groundless judgment is both wrong and uninspiring.

The Magic traded Dwight Howard on Friday for young players, draft picks and financial flexibility. But forget the tangibles – or in other words the pieces Orlando received. The Magic instantly generated illimitable potential to eventually be great.

At first glance when you examine the four-team deal, it would appear to the naked eye that the Magic didn’t get enough value in return for the All-Star center.

However, while somewhat invisible right now, Orlando may actually have won the trade over at least two of the other teams involved (can’t criticize Lakers for getting Howard). No disrespect to Philadelphia and Denver, but mediocrity is at their doorstep.

Many critics thought the Magic should have essentially negotiated a deal that rivaled what the Nuggets and Jazz did when they each traded their superstars last year.

But what all of these naysayers are failing to recognize or accept is that Denver and Utah are just ordinary, and quite frankly, mediocre teams with very little room to evolve.

The Nuggets and Jazz are borderline playoff teams who have a limited chance to be anything more than a one-and-done postseason squad for the foreseeable future.

That is not what you want as a fan. You want to feel that eventually you will have a championship caliber team to cheer on, not a team trapped down a dead end street.

Too many teams get themselves confined in a very ominous and unfulfilling place. They stockpile on “B” talent who have already reached their ceiling and exceed the salary cap, which denies further growth.

It’s not an attempt to be disrespectful, let me add. Every team has its own philosophy and that attitude should be respected regardless.

But again, I can assure you that starting from scratch and remaining flexible on a multitude of levels is more advantageous than tolerating mediocrity.

There are very little expectations for the Magic this upcoming season. The goal is to get better every day and give the young talent like Andrew Nicholson, Moe Harkless and Kyle O’Quinn an opportunity to develop and, hopefully by the time this team warrants a championship praiseworthy label, be given a chance to be major contributors.

The Howard trade as it was constructed didn’t force the Magic to receive a player with a disparaging contract.

If Orlando had accepted the offer from Brooklyn, it would have had to say yes to Brook Lopez’ four-year $60 million contract. With all due respect to Lopez, that’s too much financial obligation for a player of his caliber.

Similarly, if the Magic had decided to swap Howard for Andrew Bynum straight up, Orlando would likely have committed to try and sign Bynum to a maximum deal. And with a history of severe knee problems and personality issues, that would have been too much of a risk.

In the agreed to deal, not only did the Magic avoid a reproachful contract, they also managed to move some clutter from the roster. Let’s be very honest with each other, Jason Richardson, Chris Duhon and Earl Clark were not exactly lighting it up at Amway Center.

Envision this:

By 2015, the Magic may add two or three high lottery draft picks, sign multiple All-Star caliber free agents (read this for more details) and have players like Arron Afflalo, Nicholson, Harkless and O’Quinn serve as vital role players next to those substantial accompaniments.

There is a popular adage in the NBA. And while for whatever reasons many teams don’t apply it all the time; the motto is: Sometimes you have to hit the ground before you can skyrocket to the top. If you don’t choose to touch the floor you in all likelihood will never celebrate true success.

The Magic are in a constructive rebuilding plan and before you know it, this groundwork will lead to a big prize. Just be patient.
$tunna, this is exactly what I was talking about. From NBA.com

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
So basically, tank and bank on the lottery. Exactly what you have told us not to do for the sim league.

What has happened to our commish???? Lol

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
So basically, tank and bank on the lottery. Exactly what you have told us not to do for the sim league.

What has happened to our commish???? Lol
I wouldn't be a good commissioner if I allowed tanking. Lol

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Plus it's FBB and the lottery system never works out for those who try and tank.

In real life the lottery is rigged so you just have to hope Stern has your back.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
The thing is, the Magic had so many options to trade Dwight Howard before you would have had to give Brook Lopez a max.

Not to mention that you guys wouldn't have made the playoffs if you took the Nets offer, you would still suck just as you will this year.

That's the difference between your situation and the ones that the writer brought up with Denver and Utah. Utah already had Paul Millsap and Al Jefferson and Denver already had Nene and Lawson.

You guys had...ummm...uhhh

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
pretty much Orlando could have gotten more, but they want to suck on their own so they could get years of top picks instead of years of late lotto picks like they would have with BK's package or someone else's

I understand what they did

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
pretty much Orlando could have gotten more, but they want to suck on their own so they could get years of top picks instead of years of late lotto picks like they would have with BK's package or someone else's

I understand what they did
Their own picks still would have sucked though

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
The thing is, the Magic had so many options to trade Dwight Howard before you would have had to give Brook Lopez a max.

Not to mention that you guys wouldn't have made the playoffs if you took the Nets offer, you would still suck just as you will this year.

That's the difference between your situation and the ones that the writer brought up with Denver and Utah. Utah already had Paul Millsap and Al Jefferson and Denver already had Nene and Lawson.

You guys had...ummm...uhhh
You act like Nene/Lawson/Millsap are good players to build around. If we're talking about championship contending teams, all those guys are fourth or fifth options on that team.

And we maybe could have made the playoffs with the Nets offer, but I guess we'll never know. You're saying that to troll, I know, but outside of MIA/BOS/NYK/BRK/IND, who would be the threats in the East? Last 3 spots would have been a pretty big toss up.

Like I said, I'm glad we have no pieces to build around. OKC didn't either, and it worked out for them. I just have to hope that our franchise drafts well over the next couple of years, and then we'll build from there.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Their own picks still would have sucked though
yeah but Brook was going to be way overpaid

and idk what was leaving aside from Dwight, but they still could have been decent enough to either just miss the playoffs or be a 11-14th pick imo

now they're going to challenge charlotte for top pick

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Yeah you act like having Brook Lopez for 4 years/60 million is a good way to build a team.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
You act like Nene/Lawson/Millsap are good players to build around. If we're talking about championship contending teams, all those guys are fourth or fifth options on that team.

And we maybe could have made the playoffs with the Nets offer, but I guess we'll never know. You're saying that to troll, I know, but outside of MIA/BOS/NYK/BRK/IND, who would be the threats in the East? Last 3 spots would have been a pretty big toss up.

Like I said, I'm glad we have no pieces to build around. OKC didn't either, and it worked out for them. I just have to hope that our franchise drafts well over the next couple of years, and then we'll build from there.
I never said that they were, they were just good enough pieces to keep them as an average team that won't get over the hump and win a title. I'm saying that you guys wouldn't be that way, you guys would be worse and still get high picks.

I don't think you'd make the playoffs with the Nets offer, you still would have been really bad just like you will be this year. I'm not saying anything to troll, you guys would be a bad team. Not like the Nets haven't been a terrible team with those players, your roster isn't any better.

yeah but Brook was going to be way overpaid

and idk what was leaving aside from Dwight, but they still could have been decent enough to either just miss the playoffs or be a 11-14th pick imo

now they're going to challenge charlotte for top pick
He didn't have to be if they made the deal long before Brook was guaranteed to get a max, don't think so.

I think they still would have, or have been damn close.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
getting rid of dwight for a second round pick would be the right thing if it meant they wouldnt just be letting him walk away for nothing. could they have gotten more? yes. did they do the right thing by finally dealing him? yes.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
In a radio interview on Sunday, Stan Van Gundy said that he blames the Magic front office for the deterioration of the situation with Dwight Howard.

Van Gundy also believes that the Lakers are an ideal fit for Howard.

Van Gundy told the media on April 5th that Howard told the front office of the Magic that he wanted him fired. Van Gundy was fired as head coach following the end of the regular season.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%