• Nikola Pekovic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

buzzy

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He's been really, really banged up. Let's talk again in a year.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Even being banged up, or falling off (whatever you want to call his recent play) he is still the best center in the league. I really don't think I could make an argument for any other player being better than he is. 

I think Gasol is probably the 2nd best, and I love him as a player, but I wouldn't even think twice about taking Dwight over him.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It's really easy to make an argument why Gasol is better than Dwight.

They're both really good defenders. The only real difference is that Gasol is an elite big man isolation defender, while Dwight is below average. But they rate in the top 15% of the league in everything else. Post defense, pick and roll defense, etc. Elite defenders, they both are. The only thing Dwight is better at is rebounding, but they're comparable everywhere else.

But where Gasol gets the edge is offensively. It's not even close. Dwight is in the top 35% of post players in the league. While Gasol is in the top 4%, yes 4%, meaning he is one of the top post players in the league, at any position. You can isolate Gasol essentially anywhere on the court, and again, he's one of the best. Top 18% of iso players. Both are great pick and roll players, ranking in the top 7% of the league. Gasol is also one of the top midrange bigs in the game, hitting on 49% of his midrange shots. That's Dirk type midrange shooting. Dwight obviously has no shot from midrange. Honestly Dwight really isn't even a threat outside of the restricted area. And of course Gasol is probably the best passing big in the entire league.

So I really don't see how anyone can objectively say Dwight > Gasol

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Marc Gasol puts up the most skilled and dominating 14/8 stat line ever.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
elcheato said:
Marc Gasol puts up the most skilled and dominating 14/8 stat line ever.
All that needs to be said.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Low usage rate.

I'm also not sure if there's a larger gap between the level of fan appreciation for a player and the level of appreciation from coaches,scouts, executives, etc for that player than the gap for Marc Gasol. Guys inside the league love him.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm sure you have the inside scoop with the league execs lol.

Don't get why his usage rate is low if he is the best center in the league.

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Jonas Valanciunas is an Option on here? No love for the Polish Hammer, Marcin Gortat

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
RipCity32 said:
I'm sure you have the inside scoop with the league execs lol.

Don't get why his usage rate is low if he is the best center in the league.
And that is why your opinion on basketball should be taken with a grain of salt. You have to go all the way to #95 in usage rating before you find the first Grizzlies starter on the list. The Grizzlies almost don't have a starter in the top 100 in terms of usage rating. The reason is because they don't force feed anyone, every possession results in a calculated shot. They play the matchups, and they take what the defense gives them. They play super slow, make sure everyone touches the ball, you don't see Mike Conley pass off to the wing and then the wing player takes two dribbles and jacks up a bad shot with 15 seconds still on the shot clock. Conley executes the pick and roll (sometimes multiple times each possession until he gets himself or a teammate a look he is happy with), Gasol and Randolph post up and facilitate from the elbow and the low block, just like the pick and roll they'll throw it down into the post multiple times in a single possession until Gasol or Randolph get deep post position.

But there are also other factors on why is usage rate is so low. Beginning with his passing, obviously. He averaged four per game on the season and five after the Rudy Gay trade. That's incredible for a big man, and invaluable to an offense that a big has that kind of interior passing skills. But yet you seem to be penalizing him because of it because it results in a low usage rate and low PPG. He had nearly 40 more assists than the next closest center. I mean Memphis often starts possessions by entering the ball into the high post or elbow area and letting Gasol run the offense. Who else can do that? If nothing is there then Gasol will pass back out to Conley and set a pick resulting in three different scenarios. Can you guess which three? Dwight can do one of them, btw.

And I don't have no inside scoop, I just read the columns done by guys who do. Woj, Lowe, the Steins, Thorpe, etc.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
And maybe in the simplest logic that can be used, if Dwight is a 10 defensively, then Gasol is a 9.5, if Dwight is a 9 then Gasol is a 8.5 and so on. Now if Dwight is say a 6 offensively, then Gasol is a 8. Why would anyone take a 16 in Dwight over a 17.5 in Gasol?

I'd hope and pray that none of y'all think Dwight is a better offensive player.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
nolafan33 said:
Low usage rate.
Gasol's scoring improves from 14.5ppg/36 to 16.8ppg/36 when given Dwight's USG%. Dwight averaged 17.1ppg/36 in an off year/bad year

Dwight's numbers are still better

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You didn't read the above post at all did you?

youngguru

V͎͡Ị̠̳SI͉ƠN̡
Reaction score
nolafan33 said:
And maybe in the simplest logic that can be used, if Dwight is a 10 defensively, then Gasol is a 9.5, if Dwight is a 9 then Gasol is a 8.5 and so on. Now if Dwight is say a 6 offensively, then Gasol is a 8. Why would anyone take a 16 in Dwight over a 17.5 in Gasol? I'd hope and pray that none of y'all think Dwight is a better offensive player.

Lol @ making up "ratings" to justify your point. 

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Trying to dumb it down for yall

Ballsohard

Reaction score
I think Dwight and Gaol are really close in terms of overall ranking, but in terms of offensive ability, Gasol is hands down the better player.

Let's compare.
Passing: Gasol
Back to the Basket: Gasol
Jump Shot: Gasol
Vision: Gasol
Dunking: Howard
Pick and Roll: Howard

The funniest thing about this is, that Howard's best ability is in the pick and role but he doesn't want to do that anymore. He wants to play back to basket basketball and it usually turns into him facing up and just trying to be quicker than his guy going left or right or if he's feeling fancy spinning off. That's it.

Defensively, Howard is the better player but not by much (remember, Gasol won DPOY this year) but Howard sets himself apart from Gasol by being an elite athlete and rebounder. Overall i have them at 1a and 1b in terms of pure on the court contribution. But i would take Gasol on a heartbeat over him if i got the keys to a franchise because of his mental stability and ability to be a team player.

youngguru

V͎͡Ị̠̳SI͉ƠN̡
Reaction score
1. Lebron should have been DPOY
2. Gasol didn't make 1st team all defense which is voted on by the coaches, not the dumbass media.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Nola you truly are a piece of work. Lol.
I could give a fuck less about his usage rate, or whatever the fuck you just summed up the Grizzlies offense to be.

Gasol could be more talented offensively, as is most centers in the league than Dwight is. But Dwight just produces. You can't sit here and say a guy who averages 14 and 7 in the same amount of minutes as a guy who averaged 17 and 12 is a better overall player. You can twist the stats and your dumb ass factoids whatever way you want. The only point you've made to me is Gasol is more talented, which is something I already knew. But when it boils down, Dwight is still the better player and better producer. And half the fucking board agrees with me. And I'm sure the board appreciates your Skip Bayless approach to every topic. Now post the new poll so we can all vote Gasol 2nd best where he belongs.

Ballsohard

Reaction score
guru said:
1. Lebron should have been DPOY
2. Gasol didn't make 1st team all defense which is voted on by the coaches, not the dumbass media.
Not good arguments
1. We don't live in a world of should have beens.
2. He made second team all defensive teams voted on by the coaches; not the dumb ass media; so clearly he's doing something right on that end if the media and coaches agree he's an elite defender.

Ballsohard

Reaction score
I have no problem with gasol being 2 by the way. I just think the gap between the two guys is slim. I give Howard the overall nod because of rebounding and how essential that is at that position but its very thin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%