2018 OFF-SEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Paulius said:
Man what a day

All of a sudden Demar is so important

Hes not that good. Overpaid

Do i feel bad? Maybe a lil bc he likes toronto but he failed them too many times, sorry
Its also the same people who wanted Demar and Lowry gone. Fans are fickle as fuck man. Especially raptor fans.

Like I love DeMar but this is a superstar driven league. If you have an opportunity to acquire one you take it.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
And now that I'm home from work, I can provide for you the valued information to what you've all been dying to hear about: the Marcus Smart situation!!

Boston has a fairly deep roster overall, knowing we made the ECF and are adding two pieces to that. We all know the starters, but here are the bench pieces

• Terry Rozier
• Marcus Smart
• Marcus Morris
• Aron Baynes
• Daniel Theis
• Guerschon Yabusele
• Semi Ojeleye
• Robert Williams
• Brad Wanamaker
• Abdel Nader

the back end of the bench isnt super talented, but theyre for the most part competent bodies to throw in for 5 minutes in a game. But these are players 6-15, and imo you don't need that much depth when your starters are as good as they are. So everyone on that bench has to have a role to their game.

Baynes is the bruiser that might start at times if facing a big lineup. Theis is a stretch five with good rim protection ability. Rozier is the offensive leader of the second unit. Smart is the defensive enigma to the entire roster and team.

---------------------- THE MAIN POINT IS HERE SO START READING HERE ----------------------

Re-signing Smart to the deal he's rumored at ($48-50M) would put Boston roughly over $5M over the tax... which is why I think Marcus Morris is gone. If you give Smart a $49.2M deal, but fully frontloaded, you can be under the cap by dumping Morris for a pick (who unlike Smart, is at a valued peak). And then its essentially $35M/3 years for Smart, which is the same market of guys like Jordan Clarkson, Patty Mills, Alec Burks, Courtney Lee, etc. Its a good figure to be at for a role player that is probably needed if we're making a title run.

And I like Morris, but he's an iso shooting wing on a team with Gordon Hayward, Jayson Tatum, and Jaylen Brown all ahead of him in the rotation, and Horford, Theis, and Baynes at the big man spot. He'd be a 15 minute per game guy, and to stay under the luxury tax, its worth trading him for a future protected 1st or maybe even future 2nds... but Smart is more important for this team than Morris is

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
marcus brings a toughness the bench could use, any teem could use it. he probably is the guy who needs to go, though.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Who's starting at the 4? Hayward?

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
DJT said:
Who's starting at the 4? Hayward?
It's all about matchups and who you're facing. We'll probably put Jaylen on the best wing, then put Hayward on the less physically demanding wing, and then Tatum as the remainder. 

I can see Tatum being used similarly to how KD is in GSW as a weakside rim protector

Hayward I see mostly at the 2 or 3. Jaylen will be the 3 unless facing teams like Milwaukee where he'll guard Giannis at the 4

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
snipezo said:
Its also the same people who wanted Demar and Lowry gone. Fans are fickle as fuck man. Especially raptor fans.

Like I love DeMar but this is a superstar driven league. If you have an opportunity to acquire one you take it.
It could have happened more respectfully but I'm sure DeRozan would have felt disrespected either way.

Woj is saying Kawhi is warming up to playing in Toronto now. Idk where they hear these things lol

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Rios said:
It could have happened more respectfully but I'm sure DeRozan would have felt disrespected either way.

Work is saying Kawhi is warming up to playing in Toronto now. Idk where they hear these things lol
I definitely think they shouldn't have promised anything if rumors of the FO lying the demar are true.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
It's all about matchups and who you're facing. We'll probably put Jaylen on the best wing, then put Hayward on the less physically demanding wing, and then Tatum as the remainder. 

I can see Tatum being used similarly to how KD is in GSW as a weakside rim protector

Hayward I see mostly at the 2 or 3. Jaylen will be the 3 unless facing teams like Milwaukee where he'll guard Giannis at the 4
So if you're playing the Jazz, you'll put Jaylen on Favors??

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Rios said:

Work is saying Kawhi is warming up to playing in Toronto now. Idk where they hear these things lol
its all over the sports sites now. of course he is. he would be very foolish to sit out the season. he'll play it out and leave

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Father Pugzo said:
its all over the sports sites now. of course he is. he would be very foolish to sit out the season. he'll play it out and leave
Yeah can only hope for the best. I think part of him has to say that to show that he's not a diva/cancer in his contract season but we got a whole season to convince him to stay. Worth a shot I guess

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't know if i'm the only one thinking it, but Masai Ujiri does not seem like a GM who would want to do a rebuild. I see him wanting to stay competitive. 

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
DJT said:
So if you're playing the Jazz, you'll put Jaylen on Favors??
Kyrie on Rubio
Jaylen on Mitchell
Hayward on Ingles
Horford on Favors/Gobert
Baynes on Gobert

Tatum on Burks/Crowder/wing in closing lineup

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Plus Boston will be subbing early in games and not just wholesale replacing guys. Against teams with two bigs, they'll probably sit Tatum or Brown to provide instant offense along with Smart coming off the bench.

Kyrie/Brown/Hayward/Horford/Baynes 
to
Kyrie/Smart/Hayward/Tatum/Horford

the "starter" is really meaningless. its positionless basketball and we know who the finishing five are. and in todays spread league, no team will effectively play 2 bigs in closing time because Jaylen/Tatum/Hayward will destroy any big man guarding them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%