2018 MLB Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carson

Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
even thought baseball isnt as heavily impacted on one player like the nba or nfl, i cant say the MVP should go to someone on a .500 team... same reason i said westbrook shouldnt have gotten mvp off a 7 seed

cleveland has the 6th best record in the al, 10th in the league. angels have the 8th in the al, 18th in the league. boston is 4.5 games over the 2nd best team (houston, who are still the favs to win it all). i know you dont care about that, but I do. boston is clearly the #1 team rn and its because of mookie (and jd too tbh), but we werent good when mookie got injured earlier this year

The Red Sox are having a historic first 2/3 of the season because of Mookie Betts, but they would still be a playoff contender w/o him.  Mookie had a "meh" season at the dish in 2017 and the Sox still won the AL East.

The Angels would easily be the worst team in baseball if Mike Trout plays somewhere else.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't agree that a great player shouldn't win an MVP based on the fact that a team has failed to construct a good roster around him. 

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
I've watched Joe West ruin way too many baseball games with his egregious strike zone

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Cespedes said he has a heel injury that requires surgery and 8-10 months rehab, but isn't sure if he wants the surgery yet (even though now is the perfect time to do it and lose as little time next season).

Mets apparently had no clue about this until he told reporters last night.

LOL fucking christ, my team is a joke. If we trade degrom and/or Syndergaard... what exactly am I clinging on to?

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
even thought baseball isnt as heavily impacted on one player like the nba or nfl, i cant say the MVP should go to someone on a .500 team... same reason i said westbrook shouldnt have gotten mvp off a 7 seed

cleveland has the 6th best record in the al, 10th in the league. angels have the 8th in the al, 18th in the league. boston is 4.5 games over the 2nd best team (houston, who are still the favs to win it all). i know you dont care about that, but I do. boston is clearly the #1 team rn and its because of mookie (and jd too tbh), but we werent good when mookie got injured earlier this year
I disagree with the MVP choice of .500 team or not. Trout has won the award twice, once on a postseason team and once on a non-playoff team. Every other year has gone to a less deserving player who has won the award because they were on a playoff team (including Miguel Cabrera who won Triple Crown and MVP when Trout was the better player in my opinion).

That being said, there's no consistency with the award and who is rightfully eligible and deserving of it.

Trout is the best player, has the most WAR and therefore should win it every year.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
I never understood that argument tbh. A teams success shouldn't determine if a player is valuable. It's the same reason we are beginning to hold less value in a pitchers win/loss record.

A players value shouldn't be determined by what is around him.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
I never understood that argument tbh. A teams success shouldn't determine if a player is valuable. It's the same reason we are beginning to hold less value in a pitchers win/loss record.

A players value shouldn't be determined by what is around him.
Agreed. Mike Trout had MVP taken from him several years. I get that some players may reach his level certain years, but it's usually a career year and they don't reach his level consistently. More years than not Trout is the better pick.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Mets trade Familia to the As for William Toffey and Bobby Wahl.

Who???

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
What did you expect for a rental reliever? Wahl can probably be plugged right into the bullpen right away

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
something better than that.

I know hes a rental but hes a good closer and this is a pretty poor return.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
The international slot money is good though, and can go a long way. I cant hate this.

though Wahl had Thoracic outlet surgery last year, and that concerns me.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
Is Familia even that good?
He's a good reliever, but no one is going to give up a top prospect to have him pitch 25 innings and leave lol

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
Is Familia even that good?
Yes. Of course like any closer he can be shaky at times. Low HR%, high groundball percentage. When his splitter is on hes great.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Is the playoff seeding set up to be

#1 seed vs wild card winner

#2 vs #3?

Or do they lump the Wild card in with the other seeds so that the #1 doesn't have to face the wild card winner necessarily bc they might have a better record than the other division winners

Cause if the red Sox and Yanks have to play each other in the alds, lmao

And that's only if one of them wins their wild card game

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Mexi said:
Is the playoff seeding set up to be

#1 seed vs wild card winner

#2 vs #3?

Or do they lump the Wild card in with the other seeds so that the #1 doesn't have to face the wild card winner necessarily bc they might have a better record than the other division winners

Cause if the red Sox and Yanks have to play each other in the alds, lmao

And that's only if one of them wins their wild card game
Theyd play each other

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
Theyd play each other
fucking good

We get to eliminate one annoying fan base early

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%